the original HALLOWEEN and its sequels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Not bothering with the two sequels to 2018, McBride and his buddy can fuck right off.
    I felt the new 2018 Halloween was barely ok, but the sequel Halloween Kills was pretty much unwatachable. I don't think I have ever seen such a disjointed and unstructured film made in Hollywood before. That is usualy reserved for the likes of Godfrey Ho.

"No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Zavvi exclusive steelbook art, preorders to start later this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	311620589_541842037903712_1602009392129062828_n.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	402499

Name:	311599157_541842027903713_8570136082403151602_n.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	402500
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Ouch...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...-but-a-whimper
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• I'm still going to the theater for it. The low expectations may work in the film's favour. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• I was thinking it might be nice to go and see this as a kind of pre-Halloween night out (we had a great time doing so with the 2018 movie), but unfortunately it's not showing at any of the nice, clean boutique/middle class-y cinemas around here - it's exclusively booked in at the city centre / out-of-town multiplexes, and I can't be bothered to put myself through that experience for a film which probably won't be much good anyway. Bah.
            https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
            http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by stinty View Post
              I love this series because it is so polarizing and so damned random. I like H1, H2, 2018 and Kills, all I think are great, even though those themselves are not part of a single storyline.. I don't care for much of the rest, I find them rather disposable, though still enjoyable (with the odd exception). I also like the RZ reboots, and the fact that there is a multitude of different storylines across the 12 movies. There's very little like it! I do enjoy reading why people like the ones they do and the reasons for it, even the disaster/crazyness that is part 6. (I never hear any defense of part 8 though, does anyone like Resurrection?)
              I LOVED Busta Rhymes kung fu fighting with Michael!

Comment

• Saw ENDS yesterday. Without going into detail, I'll just say that it was interesting, too long and the most experimental of DGG's trilogy. You may forget you're watching a HALLOWEEN movie - let alone a horror movie - at times. I recommend not reading too many reviews if you're planning on seeing this - it could be easily spoiled.

During the many slow stretches, I realized that this is a totally unique franchise: all of the entries have had big budgets and theatrical releases and no franchise has ever attempted to reboot itself so many times and in so many bizarre ways. I started thinking about the whole thing and it's insane timeline:

Phase one: Halloween 1978 has a direct sequel in Halloween II 1981. Part III fails. The end.

Phase two: Halloween 4 1988 continues the story from Part II up until Part VI in 1995 paints itself into a corner. The end.

Phase three and first reboot of the history: Halloween H20 in 1998 pretends that parts 4-6 never happened. (I actually can't recall if it ignores the 1981 sequel - someone can chime in) and Laurie Strode has a a teenage son. This iteration of the series lasts for one more sequel, 2002's Resurrection. Laurie is killed. The end.

Phase four and second reboot: The Rob Zombie pair, which re-imagines the 1978 original with an added prologue and its own variations, plus a 2009 sequel to this timeline. The end.

Phase five and the THIRD time the franchise has attempted a follow-up to the original: David Gordon Green's new trilogy begins in 2018 as a direct sequel to the 1978 original (ignoring both prior Laurie Strode reboots - from 1981 and 1998, respectively - and has it's own unique take on the story, including a whole new story for Laurie post-1978. ENDS? I don't think so....

What a messy, insane franchise, the likes of which we'll probably never see again.

Comment

• In H2O it is known that Michael is Laurie's brother so Part II isn’t ignored.
                  Anthony A
                  Last edited by Anthony A; 10-17-2022, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                    What a messy, insane franchise, the likes of which we'll probably never see again.
                    I agree. It's so wonderful (and wonderfully random) that the totally minimal premise of the original film has been spun off in so many bizarre and divergent directions over the years... it's like some perverse experiment to test how many times a simple, self-contained story can be re-set and re-conceptualised and dragged out into yet another variant across 5 decades.

Is there some alternate universe out there in which, I dunno, 'Assault on Precinct 13' ended up with a dozen sequels/reboots instead?
                    https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                    http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
                      Is there some alternate universe out there in which, I dunno, 'Assault on Precinct 13' ended up with a dozen sequels/reboots instead?
                      In that dimension, Rob Zombie's Assault reboot is awesome. Who'd have thought that Sheri Moon would be as good as Austin Stoker?
                      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• I will always love the original. The second film is a slightly different direct sequel that I don't often bother with.

Part III stands alone. I like it. But I can imagine that Halloween fans going into Season of the Witch were probably thinking WHAT IN THE FUCK WAS THAT?

I don't care about the rest of the sequels. Zombie's films are not good, but part II is passable.

Halloween 2018, I loved on first viewing. Subsequent viewings have lessened it's awesomeness. Halloween Kills sucked fucking balls.

Halloween Ends is a "Well, last one didn't work, so let's try all of those other ideas."

Halloween Ends mirrors where F13 tried to pick up again with New Beginning. And other reviewers have also compared it to Christine, where Michael is the car.

No matter which way you look at it; this isn't a good film by any stretch. It's curious, but not in a way that will render it an unsung classic in 20 years.

Comment

• At this point, all you can really do with this franchise is experiment. There is no story here and there never was. The original had a very basic premise that was designed to last for exactly one film. All of the sequels have really just been trying to create a story out of this basic outline. It's funny to me that people are constantly disappointed with this series when it isn't just the same thing over and over. Michael Myers is not an interesting character or even a character at all - you have to build a story around him because there's nothing there.

Comment

• holy gigantic brain fart, batman! evil dies tonight, but it's living in a sewer now like that clown from it, teaching his new student like yoda, until being thrown into a meat grinder like the cannibals from wrong turn 2.

I kinda want to check it out now, to see how bad it really is.

Comment

• There's a novelization out now.

https://titanbooks.com/71110-hallowe...-novelization/

Name:	FfXn62jVIAAnApH.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	402841
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                                I will always love the original. The second film is a slightly different direct sequel that I don't often bother with.

Part III stands alone. I like it. But I can imagine that Halloween fans going into Season of the Witch were probably thinking WHAT IN THE FUCK WAS THAT?

I don't care about the rest of the sequels. Zombie's films are not good, but part II is passable.

Halloween 2018, I loved on first viewing. Subsequent viewings have lessened it's awesomeness. Halloween Kills sucked fucking balls.

Halloween Ends is a "Well, last one didn't work, so let's try all of those other ideas."

Halloween Ends mirrors where F13 tried to pick up again with New Beginning. And other reviewers have also compared it to Christine, where Michael is the car.

No matter which way you look at it; this isn't a good film by any stretch. It's curious, but not in a way that will render it an unsung classic in 20 years.
                                I've heard that the bloke who did the 2018 Halloween film, that was the first of a triology, is going to do exactly the same thing with The Exorcist & do another triology. The latter will be another pointless exorcise in re-booting stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X