Any LIFEFORCE fans out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sexy lady parts just made me laugh so I posted it Richard. Just google Mathilda May and you'll get PLENTY of the good stuff.

The Netflix version I saw looked great. It was the longer cut at almost 2 hours. One of the other great things about the movie is how it's just so damn British with that wonderful cast.

Comment

One of those films you watched multiple times as a teen in the 80s. Thankfully it doesn't treat Wilson's goofy ideas seriously at all. For a long time I had no idea Hooper shot it, it's a fair bit of fun.

Comment

Good fun. Dodgy special effects, absurd story and lots of sexy lady parts.

Interesting it was written by Dan O'Bannon. He'd done Alien years before which this film bears more than a passing similarity to. Space ship crew exploring a dead ship filled with alien corpses who attack them in a very sexual manner etc. People have often drawn comparisons between Planet Of The Vampires and Alien. I think this film, in which O'Bannon has actually thrown the vampires in, removes any doubt he was inspired by that film.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I'd say Alien is about 75% It, The Terror From Beyond Space and about 25% Planet of the Vampires.

Also, O'Bannon simply wrote the screenplay, not the originals story itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
            I'd say Alien is about 75% It, The Terror From Beyond Space and about 25% Planet of the Vampires.

Also, O'Bannon simply wrote the screenplay, not the originals story itself.
            Its based on a short novel by British writer Colin Wilson called THE SPACE VAMPIRES. Apparently the book is quite silly but good fun. Never read it myself however.

Comment

I'd even like to see this one remade with better special effects.
              "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

But where will you find another Mathilda May as she was in 1985? Without Mathilda, better special effects add up to nothing. She has a special effect on me.
                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Indeed Richard.

Indeed.

Comment

Tech specs for the upcoming Arrow Blu-ray.

Disc 1 - BD50:
                    Feature and Extras 1080p
                    5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Feature Audio
                    2.0 Stereo PCM Feature Audio
                    2.0 Stereo PCM Isolated Music and Effects Track

Disc 2 - BD25:
                    Feature 1080p
                    5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Feature Audio
                    2.0 Stereo PCM Feature Audio
                    2.0 Stereo PCM Isolated Music and Effects Track
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The Aero Theater in Santa Monica will screen LIFEFORCE in 70mm as part of its 70mm festival August 30:

http://www.americancinemathequecalen...nt/lifeforce-0

Mathilda May in 70mm. My god.

Comment

In a recent interview gathering the cast of the upcoming X-Men film in San Diego, someone mentions LIFEFORCE to Patrick Stewart to which he snidely replies, "Oh, so you're the one who saw it." And everyone laughs.

Right, Patrick, because the X-Men films are such high art. Or even the crummy Next Generation films. God that drives me crazy when an actor badmouths an older genre picture they did because it's the hip thing to do, or they're somehow embarrassed by it. He should be embarrassed by Next Gen films. I realize the X-Men films are his current bread and butter but wouldn't a better reply be, "LIFEFORCE was a fun gory nudity filled sci-fi movie in the vein of the British QUATERMASS flicks. I'm glad I was a part of it."? Maybe he does hate it and is embarrassed by it. But that shit always rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure there were a lot of younger people in the audience not hip to LIFEFORCE and instead of turning people onto it he scared them away. Oh well, their loss.

I couldn't imagine anyone at a comic convention who hasn't seen this not liking it. I'm sure someone wouldn't, there's lame-o's everywhere, but it really has all the ingredients for a great genre picture. Nudity, gore, space vampires and nudity.
                        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          In a recent interview gathering the cast of the upcoming X-Men film in San Diego, someone mentions LIFEFORCE to Patrick Stewart to which he snidely replies, "Oh, so you're the one who saw it." And everyone laughs.

Right, Patrick, because the X-Men films are such high art. Or even the crummy Next Generation films. God that drives me crazy when an actor badmouths an older genre picture they did because it's the hip thing to do, or they're somehow embarrassed by it. He should be embarrassed by Next Gen films. I realize the X-Men films are his current bread and butter but wouldn't a better reply be, "LIFEFORCE was a fun gory nudity filled sci-fi movie in the vein of the British QUATERMASS flicks. I'm glad I was a part of it."? Maybe he does hate it and is embarrassed by it. But that shit always rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure there were a lot of younger people in the audience not hip to LIFEFORCE and instead of turning people onto it he scared them away. Oh well, their loss.

I couldn't imagine anyone at a comic convention who hasn't seen this not liking it. I'm sure someone wouldn't, there's lame-o's everywhere, but it really has all the ingredients for a great genre picture. Nudity, gore, space vampires and nudity.
                          I agree but this is so common I'm immune st this point.

Here's a funny story though:

A friend of mine who used to work for the Monsters HD channel was once handling seating and guest relations at an industry event. He was approached for help by Jason Alexander who was havering trouble finding a seat.

My friend got him taken care of and when Alexander thanked him he replied - "Of course! Anything for the star of THE BURNING!"

Comment

That's great! I hope Jason appreciated it. If anything these guys must get tired of only being recognized as George Castanza, or Captain Picard.
                            "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I agree with Scott regarding Patrick Stewart. Steward was effective in TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY (1979) where he had a few minutes screentime and not one word of dialogue. Or was it SMILEY'S PEOPLE (1982) I forget. And of course he filled in the background and spoke a few words in LIFE FORCE and EXCALIBUR. Otherwise, he is a pompous dork. If he had stayed out of THE NEXT GENERATION films they'd have been better films, although I doubt that would have saved them. The way he damned and ridiculed THE NEXT GENERATION while squeezing more and more money out of Paramount to star in them, and then turning the scripts into Picard stories, just killed the films and took all the fun out of watching him. He wanted the money, but he didn't want to be Picard anymore. What a louse.

Comment

"***LIFEFORCE UPDATE*** Unfortunately we have had to delay the release of LIFEFORCE by two weeks and it will now be released October 14th."
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X