Retribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retribution

Anyone else check this out yet? The new Code Red DVD looks pretty good, has some decent extras too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_retribution_code_red_dvd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	362799

Watched it last night, expected more of a traditional slasher - it's not that at all. Definitely went in directions I didn't expect it to and while it took a while to get going (the first half hour is slow) once it picks up steam it's a pretty cool watch. Some good kill scenes, some interesting twists, a fun cast, and cool effects and lighting that definitely show its eighties era roots (I mean that in a good way).

Dennis Libscomb is pretty solid in the lead. You feel sorry for him right from the opening shot - he's got such a sad lost puppy dog look to him. I don't buy that the foxy hooker with a heart of gold would fall for him but whatever. I can suspend my disbelief here. It's pretty cool to see Lipscomb completely lose his shit in a few scenes and just go right over the top too.

Good times. Worth watching.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Remember seeing this from VESTRON VIDEO when I was a kid....cant remember much about it now, except I prefer the japanese VHS cover (as always)..

The Japanese always go tha extra mile on their covers to really sell it to ya....

Comment

My disc arrived yesterday. Hoping to get a chance to watch it tonight or at the weekend.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Be curious to hear what you think of this one, Paul.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It's fun and the DVD looks pretty good, like a VHS box turned sideways (I bet it'd play just as well in 4:3, given director Guy Magar's tv experience). Lipscomb's great as a sad-sack artist (although I had to listen to the commentary to notice how he had suddenly become tough & suave), and that sympathy helps the gradual revelations of the story. His bowl cut and glasses give him some Stephen King style: the typewriter scene looks like Steve working out THE SHINING. "Hmmm... maybe I should make Jack be a writer instead of a painter...." I liked the dive hotel and inhabitants -- they give George a sweet "welcome back from your suicide" party. And the way the movie just dumps out the whole toybox is pure playtime: from the monster-mask opening to Dr. Rasta's place (was the band name really Haile Mackerel?), to the neon moai and George's Vito paintings, it's exuberantly visually ingenious.

Thanks, Code Red, you're doing good work.
          Barry M
          Super Fiend
          Last edited by Barry M; 07-31-2012, 08:58 AM. Reason: Lipscomb spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
            I liked the dive hotel and inhabitants -- they give George a sweet "welcome back from your suicide" party.
            It's true. It's completely out of touch with the real world I think but somehow completely appropriate in the context of the movie.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Killer Film posted a good interview with director Guy Magar here in which he talks about the history of the movie and working on the DVD.

"Back in 1987, I had made a 35mm print of my director's cut for my own library which was better color-timed than any format made and with great Dolby stereo which really enhanced an exceptional music soundtrack. When Bill Olsen of Code Red approached me to release this DVD, he was excited about using this print as the master - which was my dream - and we made a real clean HD digital master from it at the Deluxe Labs. That's why the DVD looks so good and you can actually see the changeover marks which are put on prints to switch projectors. I was never sure what editing changes were made for the various formats released after it left my hands but I got my director's cut which I personally timed to be this pristine DVD anniversary edition."
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Magar's on an interview role lately, Fangoria talks to him here.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I liked this a lot, love the outrageous colors. What really jumped out at me was the fact that 2 future SEINFELD guest stars are in it - Angel, the hooker/girlfriend was in a couple episodes (different characters), memorable one being Jerry's date that wouldn't eat pie - Poppy's daughter same episode. Hoyt Axton's partner was in a few episodes, main one being the leader of the rageaholics anonymous meeting.
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I don't know if I need to upgrade or not but it looks like this got a Blu-ray release in Germany. No forced subs on the Eng. track either, according to this post.

Name:	retribution_bd_ofdb.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	348297

~ R-Rated Theatrical Version (1.78:1) Blu-ray + DVD
                    ~ Unrated Version (1.33:1) DVD
                    ~ Audio Commentary (Guy Magar)
                    ~ Booklet
                    ~ Trailer
                    ~ Unrated Deleted Scenes
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And then just like that...

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...-2000-EDITION/

RETRIBUTION (1987) (2,000 EDITION) (BLU-RAY)
                      Starring: Dennis Lipscomb, Suzanne Snyder, Hoyt Axton
                      Directed By: Guy Magar

Supernatural terror erupts on a Halloween night when two men simultaneously die in the seedy streets of downtown Los Angeles. George Miller (Dennis Lipscomb), a frustrated artist, jumps off the roof of his fleabag hotel at the exact moment that Vito, a small-time hood, is viciously tortured and set ablaze by thugs. The two souls intertwined and George survives, only to become possessed by the tortured memories of a vengeful spirit now seeking retribution. Though aided by his psychiatrist, a hooker with a heart of gold (Suzanne Snyder), and a detective (Hoyt Axton) looking to solve the gruesome murders, there is only one way to overcome his demonic possession...he must end his life again, and take Vito's satanic spirit with him!

“Gutsy…as subversively influential as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Maniac.” Fangoria

"One of the most remarkable achievements in the low-budget thriller field!" Cinefantastique

“Horror is back with a vengeance!” Film Review

“Scary…one for the fright fans!” New York Daily

“A very accomplished slice of demonic possession!” Video Weekly

BONUS FEATURES
                      - audio commentary with director/writer/producer Guy Magar
                      - deleted scene "X-rated violent scenes footage"

1.78 (anamorphic widescreen)
                      Rated R

Name:	29038.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	348342
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Blu-ray coming from Severin next month.

Name:	194080120_10165550298090038_6240918607420046752_n.jpg
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	359986
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Uncut version would be phenomenal.
                          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Extras for the Severin release.

Special Features for Retribution:
                            *Theatrical Cut Version + Extended Dutch Video Release Version
                            *Audio Commentary with Co-Writer/Director Guy Magar
                            *Writing Wrongs - Interview with Co-Writer Lee Wasserman
                            *Shock Therapy - Interview with Actress Leslie Wing
                            *Angel's Heart - Interview with Actress Suzanne Snyder
                            *Santa Maria, Mother Of God, Help Me! - Interview with Actor Mike Muscat
                            *Settling The Score - Interview with Soundtrack Composer Alan Howarth
                            *Visions Of Vengeance - Interview with Special Effects Artist John Eggett
                            *The Art Of Getting Even - Interview with Artist Barry Fahr
                            *Living In Oblivion - Interview with Production Designer Robb Wilson King
                            *BINGO - Student Short by Guy Magar with Optional Director Commentary
                            *Trailer
                            *Stills & Poster Gallery
                            *BONUS DISC: CD Soundtrack
                            Feature Specs for Retribution:
                            *Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
                            *Audio: English Stereo
                            *Closed Captions: English SDH
                            *Region: All
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                            X