Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Franchise That Will Not Die - Wrong Turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you had fun with it. The location plays a big part in making it work for me. I'm a sucker for creepy hospitals and stuff.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
      Watched 4 first, it wasn't bad. It's okay for a DTV sequel, lots and lots of gore and that black humor Ian mentioned. My buddy Gary gives it thumbs down but it worked well enough for me on that level, though it doesn't hold a candle to the first one. I did like the setting and the snowy isolation. Some horrible CG blood in one part though...ugh. Overall worth a watch I'd say.
      I'll be interested in how WT3 Left For Dead hits you. Without giving anything away it was doing great and then a dumb ass script move/change took me right out of it. Still like it better than 4 but it could have been a lot better.
      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Watched 3, meh, I think this is the weakest entry. The Hispanic con got on my nerves with his constant screaming "come on motherfucker I'll kill you with my bare hands!!!" And Three Fingers' makeup looked very cheap, it looked like a mask in a lot of shots. Only having him and not more ICH (inbred cannibal hillbillies) was kinda a drag too. The one weak sister who got his head lopped off doesn't count. Too many endings too.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Yeah the last ending negated the last half of the movie and pissed me off.
          "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Specs and cover art courtesy of Fangoria for the upcoming release of Wrong Turn 5.

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment releases WRONG TURN 5: BLOODLINES unrated on DVD, Blu-ray and digital copy October 23. Once again written and directed by series regular Declan O'Brien, this installment is set in a small mining town in the midst of celebrating their Mountain Festival, where the costumed partiers (and, of course, some visiting college students) become the prey of the cannibal brood, with HELLRAISER veteran Bradley in the role of “Maynard.” The movie will be presented in 1.78:1 widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound on the DVD and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio on the Blu-ray, plus the following special features:

•Audio commentary by O'Brien
            •Director's Die-aries
            •“A Day in the Death” featurette
            •”Hillbilly Kills” featurette

Click image for larger version

Name:	wrongturn5etcdiscnews1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	339582
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rented WRONG TURN 5...it's pretty good. You know what this is? I haven't looked around to see if any reviewers have picked up on it but they cribbed the plot from the Howard Hawks/John Wayne film RIO BRAVO hahahaha! Doug Bradley (sounding very un-West Virginian) is the relative in a small town jail that the inbreds are trying to bust out. There's even an old drunk who helps the woman cop with the Fordian name of Mose. Some good gore and a fast pace. I'd actually say this is my favorite of all the sequels. The downtown set has a very backlot look to it and there are some decidely non-local accents but it's got a nice and nasty vibe including a mean-spirited ending. Worth a look.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Wrong Turn 6 is in production now.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'll buy a Wrong Turn Blu-Ray box set from Echo Bridge.
                      Make it happen.

Comment

So it looks like this is happening...

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_nowt1kk7GW1thr7ppo1_500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	348350

http://brokehorrorfan.com/post/12011...that-popped-up
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I decided to watch the entire series because reasons. It's kind of hypocritical, at least of me anyway, to enjoy something like Madman or The Mutilator and look down upon the Wrong Turn franchise. They're cut from the same cloth but they're just from different era's.

Starting with the first one. The first movie seems like Stan Winston's baby. His name is all over the credits and he's even listed as a producer. I guess it was his dream to do a back to basics backwoods slasher with a real budget behind it? At any rate it's pretty standard but not bad. The gore is good as expected from the late great Stan Winston. It would have been nice had it either been shot in a more stylistic way with shadows and color or go the opposite extreme and go ultra realism ala Deliverance or (the underrated) The Final Terror. Or you subvert the idea, which is something Joe Bob Briggs once suggested, where it's the country/redneck folk being oppressed by the city folk.

Unfortunately the first one falls short of the movies I mentioned. It needed a backstory for the rednecks. We don't need an explanation why they're doing this but some kind of lore, exactly the kind of lore like in The Burning or Madman or The Final Terror, would have given the movie some depth. Even the Mutilator had lore to it; we don't know why the father decided to go on a killing spree but we understand that he liked to hunt and went crazy after his wife's death. They could have gone further with the gore and exploitative elements. You can't have gorgeous women like that and not have nudity in a slasher. That's sacrilegious practically.

It reminds me more of Don't Go in the Woods in that we're just kind of thrown these characters and these villains and nothing is really explained or given time to gestate. But Don't Go in the Woods at the very least had a very high body count to make up for its faults.

I mentioned that I saw the 2nd one and will re-visit that in a bit.
                          Alex K.
                          Last edited by Alex K.; 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM.
                          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I think I saw the first film in the theater & most of the others on Syfy. My issue is the backwoods family make-up looks awful. They look like trolls instead of deformities.

Comment

I enjoyed all of them but Part 3, which is a CGI shitfest. My favorite is part 4 which has a cool snowy backdrop. The kills in these films are brutal.

Comment

It seems to be a franchise that got better once it went straight to video. Which is incredibly rare.
                                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Working...
                                X