Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eli Roth Announces The Green Inferno - a new cannibal movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eli Roth Announces The Green Inferno - a new cannibal movie?

I guess all this hanging with Tarantino is contagious, cause according to Fangoria Eli Roth is going to drink deep from the well of Deodato and Lenzi and make a new jungle cannibal film called The Green Inferno.

Fango quotes an earlier plot synopsis from Variety:

"THE GREEN INFERNO follows an idealistic student and a group of naive do-gooders who are captured by cannibalistic Indios after their plane crash lands in the Peruvian jungle."

Part of me thinks this will suck, because part of me just wants to dismiss Roth because he's Roth BUT I will say that the guy isn't afraid to go for the gore and has gone on record a few times expressing his admiration for the older Italian cannibal films so maybe, just maybe, he'll do something interesting here and if not, I figure he'll at least give us a gorefest set in a jungle, which defaults to at least maybe kinda cool by its very nature.

No casting news yet or any other details, really.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    No casting news yet
    Salma Hayek and Brenda Fricker.

Comment

I'm hoping for Rupert Grint, myself.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to this one. I actually like Roth's movies at least at face value, and he is legitimately a fan of stuff like this, so I hope he can make something fun.
        EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

I really liked Cabin Fever. The Hostel films not so much. But yeah, I think you're right, his heart is probably in the right place.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Tasty tasty heart.

Salmita! I'd eat that.

Comment

I hope they at least simulate some animal cruelty.

Comment

Barry M
                Super Fiend
                Last edited by Barry M; 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Poor lil raccoon.

Comment

They should get Larry Fessenden on this project. He does great fake animal cruelty.

Comment

I didn't love the Hostels, but there were bits and pieces amongst them that I enjoyed. I found the bit with the Blackberry bidding for the American girls life in Hostel Pt. 2 more horrifying than anything violent in the film. It seemed truly plausible. Cabin Fever was just a fun throwback horror film, and I enjoyed it as such, I also have some great memories tied to it.
                      EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

The title and the concept made me smirk. It's probably going to be like Planet Terror and Hobo with a Shotgun in that it's self-aware how retarded it is. But who knows, it could be fun. If he makes something on par with Cannibal Ferox, Mountain of the Cannibal God, Zombie Holocaust, and Eaten Alive than what's the harm?

*Not trying to be a Roth Fanboy, I'm not a big fan or anything. But I think the guy deserves a chance. The one thing I consistently agree with is that the characters in his films are unlikable. Hopefully he can get over that. Because the dialog itself isn't bad. And hell, we enjoy films like Burial Ground and the characters in that film are far from likable (Michael aside).

I'm just saying. The man is a fan like us, has supported Grindhouse Releasing and getting exposure to the obscure stuff. He's helped out other filmmakers. He worked as a PA for years, including a stint with Troma which lead to a hilarious commentary for Bloodsucking Freaks. He's paid his dues. Plus he was the Bear Jew. I'm just saying, you know, just saying.

It's not like he acts like Nick Palumbo and declares himself the new god of horror and shits on anyone that disagrees with his opinion.
                        Alex K.
                        Last edited by Alex K.; 05-30-2012, 09:55 PM.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I think Roth is very arrogant and that always rubs me the wrong way...

I enjoyed Cabin Fever...I liked the trick he pulled in the flick that seems to get by quite a few people...

I like Hostel for the most part...the first half was kind of disappointing but around the second half, I actually started caring for the main character and started rooting for him...It was a pleasant surprise. But, I guess I didn't like it enough to bother with Hostel 2 because I have yet to see it...

But, I still think he is a poser and a name dropper. I know you're not supposed to believe everything you read on the internet, but a few years back there was a pic of him wearing a Cannibal Holocaust shirt...and apparently, he said he never seen the film until Grindhouse released it. Now, for someone who is such a hardcore horror fan that claims to be a horror savior, I would imagine he would have seen that years ago like many of us did...I dunno...

I'm not really sure a jungle cannibal flick would work in these days...I'll admit I'm curious about it, but I think many would pass on it...

Oh, I really did like his Thanksgiving Day trailer though!!
                          Tom K
                          Last edited by Tom K; 05-31-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom K View Post
                            I'm not really sure a jungle cannibal flick would work in these days...I'll admit I'm curious about it, but I think many would pass on it...
                            Bruno Mattei would disagree... If he was alive that is :D .

Check out Hostel 2 btw, I think it's better than the first film. Long time since I've seen you Tom since the B-headed forum went under.
                            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                              Bruno Mattei would disagree... If he was alive that is :D .

Check out Hostel 2 btw, I think it's better than the first film. Long time since I've seen you Tom since the B-headed forum went under.
                              This is true and I was going to bring Mattei up...lol...figures you'd call me out on that!!

I do need to check out Hostel 2...I was never dead set against it, but it was not a pressing matter...

Cheers Alex! Yeah, when my life went south, I could not pay the hosting so I had to let it go...I still posted around various places, but never really found a "home" again...I got an offer to bring it back under another site (and we still have the archives) but I lost track of so many people it just wouldn't have the same feeling...

I like it here though...

Comment

Working...
                              X