• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Richard--W
    a straight arrow

• Richard--W
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry M View Post
    Actually, I totally suck at discouraging people from talking about their supernatural encounters, and I'm pretty okay with that. People should tell their spooky stuff. But do horror writers require authentic experience or belief? Nope. While they might benefit from it, it's not a requirement, and I guess I just don't believe that I as a reader can use my raised hairs and chills as evidence of the writer's experience or beliefs. Writers are a bunch of bald-faced liars. They make stuff up, bless 'em, and I'm fully supportive of writers appropriating the voices of the authentically terrified. I even dig being artfully manipulated by the unbelieving: that just makes it even better.
    This is what I get for sharing.

Nobody said horror writers are required to write from experience or belief. I'd argue that you're missing the point, but there's no point into getting sucked into a pointless debate. You're full of shit, Barry M. But if this is really your opinion, do enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Never heard of West Country Tales before Paul, sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
    Posts like yours' are the reason people are reluctant to talk about their supernatural encounter. They are put into a position of having to prove something they don't know how to explain, defend or understand. It has to happen to you before you get it.
    Actually, I totally suck at discouraging people from talking about their supernatural encounters, and I'm pretty okay with that. People should tell their spooky stuff. But do horror writers require authentic experience or belief? Nope. While they might benefit from it, it's not a requirement, and I guess I just don't believe that I as a reader can use my raised hairs and chills as evidence of the writer's experience or beliefs. Writers are a bunch of bald-faced liars. They make stuff up, bless 'em, and I'm fully supportive of writers appropriating the voices of the authentically terrified. I even dig being artfully manipulated by the unbelieving: that just makes it even better.

Leave a comment:

• Richard--W
    a straight arrow

• Richard--W
    replied
    That was my doctorate asserting itself. I try to suppress it, but it sneaks out sometimes. I'll go in and remove.

Anyone can write a ghost story. Anyone can tell a ghost story. It doesn't take much talent. Most ghost stories are professional product lacking in inspiration. Just because a writer has experience with people doesn't mean he can write a ghost story that rings true to an experience with the supernatural. Posts like yours' are the reason people are reluctant to talk about their supernatural encounter. They are put into a position of having to prove something they don't know how to explain, defend or understand. It has to happen to you before you get it.

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    I don't know... I just don't buy biographical criticism of supernatural writers. It's not so much that I don't believe in ghosts (don't, personally), but that I do believe in writers. And ghost stories aren't about ghosts, they're about people: I'd allow that writers should probably have had some experience with people.

Leave a comment:

• Richard--W
    a straight arrow

• Richard--W
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul L View Post
    Interesting take on James, Richard. I've long been a fan of his work, and have read many of his short stories several times over. (In fact, for many years, I would read the complete ghost stories once a year, between October and Christmas - which always seemed the right time of year to read James' work.) But as you say, there's a ring of truth to his stories of encounters with the supernatural. Perhaps there was something in James' past.

And as you say, the BBC adaptations have a ring of truth to them - the nightmare Hordern experiences in 'Oh, Whistle...' and, especially, Peter Vaughan's experiences in 'A Warning to the Curious'. The latter has always struck home to me, as I've lived near the English coast all my life and that story really captures the sense of isolation that can be experienced in a rural, coastal environment - where sometimes it feels like something is following you, and the loneliness can make you imagine things that are not there, like a solitary figure following you from a distance (or perhaps are; I guess you never fully know for sure). (James likes his liminal spaces too, doesn't he?) As a boy, my father used to live in a very small village by the coast, and he has told me about experiences that are similar to those depicted in 'A Warning to the Curious'. To my regret, I never really believed him until I had my own run-in with the supernatural.

I've heard good things about DEAD OF NIGHT. Before I watch the murky utubes, I gather neither DEAD OF NIGHT nor WEST COUNTRY TALES are on DVD, right? They sound right up my alley.

I don't believe writers like Algernon Blackwood, Oliver Onions, M.R. James or Shirley Jackson could dig so deep and so truthfully into the supernatural if they did not have some measure of experience with it.
    Richard--W
    a straight arrow
    Last edited by Richard--W; 09-30-2012, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Whilst we're at it, US forum members may like to check out these clips from the WEST COUNTRY TALES series, broadcast in 1982. The tales were supposedly based on true stories submitted by viewers. This is one of many; there are quite a few up on Youtube.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Love these episodes.

M.R. James must have had a truly inexplicable experience in life -- perhaps an encounter with a spook -- to come up with the stories he did. The ending of "Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" for example. In the teleplay when Michael Hordern says "No, no, no" in a state of denial, a rejection of what's occurring in the moment it's occurring, is very true to life.
    Interesting take on James, Richard. I've long been a fan of his work, and have read many of his short stories several times over. (In fact, for many years, I would read the complete ghost stories once a year, between October and Christmas - which always seemed the right time of year to read James' work.) But as you say, there's a ring of truth to his stories of encounters with the supernatural. Perhaps there was something in James' past.

And as you say, the BBC adaptations have a ring of truth to them - the nightmare Hordern experiences in 'Oh, Whistle...' and, especially, Peter Vaughan's experiences in 'A Warning to the Curious'. The latter has always struck home to me, as I've lived near the English coast all my life and that story really captures the sense of isolation that can be experienced in a rural, coastal environment - where sometimes it feels like something is following you, and the loneliness can make you imagine things that are not there, like a solitary figure following you from a distance (or perhaps are; I guess you never fully know for sure). (James likes his liminal spaces too, doesn't he?) As a boy, my father used to live in a very small village by the coast, and he has told me about experiences that are similar to those depicted in 'A Warning to the Curious'. To my regret, I never really believed him until I had my own run-in with the supernatural.

However, my favourite in this series is possibly not one of the James adaptations but rather 'The Signalman' - that episode is truly chilling, for me at least.

I don't think the ITV adaptation of 'Casting the Runes' is quite as good as the BBC James adaptaptions, but it's certainly worth buying (imo, of course).

What's also worth tracking down, and this comes with a very high recommendation from me, are the three surviving episodes from the BBC's 1972 series DEAD OF NIGHT, 'A Woman Sobbing', 'Exorcism' and 'Return Flight'. All three are very good, 'Exorcism' functioning as allegory but depicting a very believable narrative about a group's encounter with the supernatural. 'A Woman Sobbing' sends shivers through my spine when I do so much as think of it - there's something indescribably haunting about it.

EDIT. All three are on Youtube, so here for your viewing delectation...

There was another chilling 1970s/1980s one-off play that sticks in my mind. I can't remember the title of it, but it focuses on a writer who visits a remote village and finds himself haunted by the ghost of the daughter of the family who give him shelter. I wish I could remember the title of it, as it's very good indeed. (EDIT: It's 'The Intercessor', from the 1980s series SHADES OF DARKNESS.) Another good 'un was the 1979 BBC adaptation of 'Schalken the Painter'. Quite hard to come by, but worth tracking down.
    Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze
    Last edited by Paul L; 09-29-2012, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wernski

• Wernski
    replied
    Has anyone seen this?
    I've been meaning to check it out for the longest time.
    It's fun, but I actually prefer the other MR James film that's on the same disc. :)

Leave a comment:

• Koukol

• Koukol
    replied
    Has anyone seen this?

The film or the DVD?

I've got the R2 but the film is nowhere as brilliant as OH WHISTLE imo.

Leave a comment:

• Richard--W
    a straight arrow

• Richard--W
    replied
    By the way if you like M.R. James the two most accurate texts from his manuscripts are:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014...seller=&sr=1-7

and

http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Dolls-...der_014303992X

Apparently his short stories were routinely edited and cut by publishers for reasons of space. Editor S.T. Joshi went back to the closest primary source and annotated each story in these Penguin editions, as he did for H.P. Lovecraft. Wonderful stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Richard--W
    a straight arrow

• Richard--W
    replied
    Originally posted by Roderick View Post
    James' Casting the Runes is getting a R1 release next week. It looks to be a port of the R2 release from several years back.
    Has anyone seen this?

Leave a comment:

• Richard--W
    a straight arrow

• Richard--W
    replied
    Love these episodes.

M.R. James must have had a truly inexplicable experience in life -- perhaps an encounter with a spook -- to come up with the stories he did. The ending of "Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" for example. In the teleplay when Michael Hordern says "No, no, no" in a state of denial, a rejection of what's occurring in the moment it's occurring, is very true to life.

Leave a comment:

• Koukol

• Koukol
    replied
    I love the cover!

I got word from AmaUK that the release date has been pushed back.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    The latest on the last two releases:

--------------------

Classic adaptions from the BBC: A View From a Hill / Number 13

The fifth and final volume of films from the BBC's A Ghost Story for Christmas series will be released by the BFI on 29 October. The release of A View From a Hill and Number 13 brings this much anticipated collection to a total of a dozen films across five volumes, which will also be released together in a 5-disc DVD box set, Ghost Stories for Christmas, on the same date.

These two relatively recent adaptions of classic MR James stories perfectly complement the vintage films on the previous volumes. They were broadcast as part of a BBC revival of the much loved seasonal A Ghost Story for Christmas series during the last five years.

A View From a Hill (Luke Watson, 2005):

When young museum curator Fanshawe is sent to catalogue a debt-laden squire's archaeological collection, he uses a pair of homemade binoculars borrowed from his genial host to survey local 'Gallows Hill'. The glasses seem to give him a strange new ability and, ignoring all warnings about their necromantic creator, Fanshawe carries out his historical researches. But the bloody past of the area is best left undisturbed.

Adapted from a short tale by MR James, the master of the English ghost story, A View From a Hill remains faithful in spirit to its literary creator, with an excellent lead performance from Mark Letheren as the uptight, doomed Fanshawe.

Number 13 (Pier Wilkie, 2006):

Dissatisfied with his hotel room, Professor Anderson (played by Greg Wise) demands to be moved to number 12 where he can work undisturbed. But, infuriated by the ghoulish noises made nightly by his neighbour, he is soon driven to investigate the diabolical secrets of the old hotel and its mysteriously vanishing room 13.

MR James' spooky tale was shot in the grounds and library of Winchester Cathedral, lending a rich period atmosphere to this terrifying adaptation.
    Special features

-Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee - 'Number 13' by MR James (2000): Ronald Frame's adaptation is brought to life by horror maestro Christopher Lee
    -Illustrated booklet with newly commissioned essays by Jonathan Rigby and Simon McCallum

Product details:
    RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIBVD963 / Cert 12
    UK / 2005 + 2006 / colour / English language / 39 mins + 40 mins / DVD9 / Original aspect ratio 1.78:1 (16x9 anamorphic) / Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost-Stories-5-packshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	339741

--------------------

Ghost Stories for Christmas: The Definitive Collection (5-disc set)

Broadcast in the dying hours of Christmas Eve, A Ghost Story for Christmas was a much-loved fixture in the BBC's seasonal schedule during the 1970s. Terrified viewers awaited each sinister instalment with excitement and its enduring appeal gave rise to a revival in the 2000s, when three more episodes were produced.
    Released on 29 October, this definitive collection finally brings all of the A Ghost Story for Christmas episodes together, along with a number of essential extra features, in a lavish 5-disc BFI box set which will, of course, make the perfect Christmas present.

Amongst the 12 films in the collection are nine adaptations of tales by MR James - the acknowledged master of the modern English ghost story - including Jonathan Miller's Whistle and I'll Come to You and Lawrence Gordon Clark's A Warning to the Curious. Other films include Clark's superb adaptation of Charles Dickens' The Signalman and two original stories: Stigma and The Ice House.

These adaptations are accompanied by a selection of special features, including three previously unreleased episodes of the BBC's Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee series, and newly filmed introductions with director Lawrence Gordon Clarke (Harry's Game).

BOX SET CONTENTS:

Disc One:

-Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968 & 2010 versions)
    -Jonathan Miller and Christopher Frayling discuss the 1968 version (2012, 3 mins)
    -Introduction to the 1968 version by horror writer Ramsey Campbell (2001, 16 mins)
    -MR James' original story read by Neil Brand (2001, 42 mins)
    -Ramsey Campbell reads his own MR James inspired story 'The Guide' (2001, 27 mins)

Disc Two:

-The Stalls of Barchester (1971) and A Warning to the Curious (1972)
    -Filmed introductions with director Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012)
    -Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee - 'The Stalls of Barchester by MR James' and 'A Warning to the Curious by MR James' (Eleanor Yule, 2000, 2 x 30 mins)

Disc Three:

-Lost Hearts (1973), The Treasure of Abbot Thomas (1974) and The Ash Tree (1975)
    -Filmed introductions with director Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012)

Disc Four:

-The Signalman (1976), Stigma (1977) and The Ice House (1978)
    -Filmed introductions to The Signalman and Stigma with director Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012)

Disc Five:

-A View From a Hill (2005) and Number 13 (2006)
    -Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee - 'Number 13 by MR James' (Eleanor Yule, 2000, 30 minutes)

Product details:

RRP: £49.99 / cat. no. BFIVD964 / 15
    UK / 1968-2010 / black & white and colour / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 477 minutes + extras / 5 x DVD9 / various original aspect ratios / Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps)

Click image for larger version

Name:	BFI_Ghost-Stories-for-Christmas-Packshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	339740

Leave a comment:

Working...
X