• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Clive Smith
    noodle doodle

• Clive Smith
    replied
    Ha. Yeah, my plan is MR James after the main feature and a few shots of port. Milland's great and at least there'll be no gurning.

No VAT? Must be a Canadian thing.
    Clive Smith
    noodle doodle
    Last edited by Clive Smith; 10-31-2012, 02:36 AM. Reason: missing words, even

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    Yep, got the shipping notice Monday. Plus, I didn't have to pay VAT. So there.

I liked it -- for all that it's serious about its scares, it's not so far off THE GHOST BREAKERS that you can't see the dumb romantic comedy skeleton of the thing (and for better and worse, Ray Milland's no Bob Hope). It's weak tea compared to the MR James stuff, but Americans never did know how to make tea.

Leave a comment:

• Clive Smith
    noodle doodle

• Clive Smith
    replied
    I've got THE UNINVITED arriving tomorrow. Barry, did you stump for the UK DVD or did the recent viewing slake your thirst?

I can't remember if I liked this movie... hopefully, it's Halloween-suitable.

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    It's not easy being green.

Leave a comment:

• Clive Smith
    noodle doodle

• Clive Smith
    replied
    Lashing out.

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    Racists.

Leave a comment:

• Clive Smith
    noodle doodle

• Clive Smith
    replied
    Paul and I win - my set arrived today too. I'm going to watch the hell out of it.

Ben, there are two cases inside the cardboard slipcase; 1 standard Amaray for the non-James titles and a wider, 4-spindle Amaray for the James titles. I assume the latter case will be released individually as the future set - it's ready to go as a standalone.

Spooky.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    I can beat you chaps: my set arrived today, and I'm going to start watching it tonight :)

Jealous yet?

Ben, is that set that's due to be released in January omitting some of the recent adaptations and including only the original 1970s GHOST STORIES... strand? If that's the case, I can see the logic behind that.

Btw, for those who preordered the set, its price on Amazon has gone up to £37 now!

Leave a comment:

• bgart13

• bgart13
    replied
    Me too. :D

Note: in the BFI's release news yesterday or the day before, they announced another Ghost Stories set to be released in January -- but it's going to omit? some of the titles in this set. Seems strange, I'm curious what the point is.

Leave a comment:

• Roderick
    Butthorn

• Roderick
    replied
    I got a ship notice on the box from Amazon UK this morning.

Leave a comment:

• Koukol

• Koukol
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry M View Post
    I just wish the collected set had an earlier, more October-friendly release date. I'll probably rewatch the original discs of WHISTLE and WARNING, and maybe a couple of rips (probably STALLS and ABBOT THOMAS): shouldn't complain, at least it'll be in time for Christmas.

Well for the English ghost stories are a Christmas tradition.

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    I just wish the collected set had an earlier, more October-friendly release date. I'll probably rewatch the original discs of WHISTLE and WARNING, and maybe a couple of rips (probably STALLS and ABBOT THOMAS): shouldn't complain, at least it'll be in time for Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Interesting. Thanks for that, Apronikoff. I haven't used The Box for a while, but I think my login is still valid.

Leave a comment:

• Apronikoff

• Apronikoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul L View Post
    I think one or two episodes of WCT have been repeated since the early 1980s, but not the full series - and again, there are episodes that are impossible to come by, although they could very well be in existence in the BBC's vaults someplace. There was a particularly good (imo) episode called 'The Poacher', which isn't among those that have been posted online.
    Several WCT episodes (including The Poacher) are posted on The Box. Looks like they're VHS rips, but sounds like that might be the best that would be available...

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Never heard of West Country Tales before Paul, sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up on that.
    No worries, Ian. To answer Richard's question, neither WEST COUNTRY TALES nor DEAD OF NIGHT are available on DVD - and I doubt they ever will be, as neither series is one of the BBC's 'big guns'. One episode of DEAD OF NIGHT ('Exorcism') was repeated about five years ago, but none of the others have been shown since their initial broadcast - and only the three episodes cited above remain in existence. I think one or two episodes of WCT have been repeated since the early 1980s, but not the full series - and again, there are episodes that are impossible to come by, although they could very well be in existence in the BBC's vaults someplace. There was a particularly good (imo) episode called 'The Poacher', which isn't among those that have been posted online.

IIRC there was another early 1980s supernatural series (on ITV) that claimed to be dramatised accounts of 'true' stories sent in by viewers. I'll see if I can remember its title.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X