X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BFI to Release BBC's Ghost Stories On DVD

And whistle.

Comment

I think I'm going to... hmm... STALLS OF BARCHESTER or TREASURE OF ABBOT THOMAS...

Just spot checked THE UNINVITED; Bobby the dog chasing a squirrel. Cute, not scary.

Comment

I started watching this set with the recent adaptations (A VIEW FROM A HILL, NUMBER 13), as I've only seen those once each - as opposed to the umpteen times I've seen the 1970s shows included in this set. VIEW FROM A HILL is much better than I remember it being when I watched it on its original broadcast; it hits the right beats, and the direction tips its hat to Lawrence Gordon Clark. It ends on a suitably unsettling note too.

NUMBER 13 is also better than I remember, although it's not as impressive as VIEW FROM A HILL. What struck me about NUMBER 13 this time was how good the sound design is. When this was shown on UK television, I remember watching it on my bedroom television, which had poor speakers; this time, I watched it in my living room via my surround sound setup, and there's some great use of directional sound to create unease. I really recommend watching this particular episode via your surround setup; it truly adds to the experience.

Next up is the recent adaptation of WHISTLE AND I'LL COME TO YOU, which I really wasn't keen on, despite the presence of John Hurt, but which I'll gladly give another day in court.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
          Next up is the recent adaptation of WHISTLE AND I'LL COME TO YOU, which I really wasn't keen on, despite the presence of John Hurt, but which I'll gladly give another day in court.
          Yeah, I'll need to revisit this. Initial impression was that it managed to generate the right atmosphere up to the point where the theme changes left me behind.

Comment

A lot has changed from a year ago. The BBC has released many of the programs under discussion here including DEAD OF NIGHT and SCHLACKEN THE PAINTER and ROBIN REDBREAST among others.
            "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
            - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

I don't think anyone's mentioned that BFI's Ghost Stories for Christmas: The Definitive Edition has been one-upped by a new edition, also from BFI, called Ghost Stories for Christmas Expanded Six-Disc Collection. The first five discs seem to be exactly the same (though I don't own it; did the DE come with a 46-page booklet, or is that new, too?); but they've included a new sixth disc which features five Classic Ghost Stories episodes, and three Spine Chillers episodes, both of which are in the same style as the Christopher Lee episodes... a single actor in a room doing a dramatic reading with music and other little embellishments.

Kind of makes a lie out of BFI's previous "definitive" claim, but there it is.
              Wernski
              Last edited by Wernski; 11-05-2013, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernski View Post
                I don't think anyone's mentioned that BFI's Ghost Stories for Christmas: The Definitive Edition has been one-upped by a new edition, also from BFI, called Ghost Stories for Christmas Expanded Six-Disc Collection. The first five discs seem to be exactly the same (though I don't own it; did the DE come with a 46-page booklet, or is that new, too?); but they've included a new sixth disc which features five Classic Ghost Stories episodes, and three Spine Chillers episodes, both of which are in the same style as the Christopher Lee episodes... a single actor in a room doing a dramatic reading with music and other little embellishments.

Kind of makes a lie out of BFI's previous "definitive" claim, but there it is.
                Yeah, the Definitive edition that was released prior did have a 46 page booklet included, however having only bought this in January I kind of feel a little cheated with the extra material. That being said, you can buy this on a separate release I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                  Yeah, the Definitive edition that was released prior did have a 46 page booklet included, however having only bought this in January I kind of feel a little cheated with the extra material. That being said, you can buy this on a separate release I think.
                  It's this disc, isn't it?

I'm not too bothered about this as, other than being sourced from James' stories, the Powell series doesn't really have anything to do with the GHOST STORIES FOR CHRISTMAS strand (which, strictly speaking, doesn't even cover the Chris Lee readings or, for that matter, 'Whistle and I'll Come to You'). Hence, I don't think calling the previous release 'definitive' was in any way, shape or form a fib; but the newer release arguably offers a little more 'bang' for your buck.
                  Paul L
                  Scholar of Sleaze
                  Last edited by Paul L; 11-05-2013, 11:36 AM.
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

From the latest BFI newsletter.

"5 December: GHOST STORIES FOR CHRISTMAS: VOLUME 1 & NIL BY MOUTH Blu-ray

Four films from the BBC’s iconic A Ghost Story for Christmas series arrive on Blu-ray for the first time. Including Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968), The Stalls of Barchester (1971), A Warning to the Curious (1972) and Lost Hearts (1973), these classic M.R. James adaptions have been newly remastered by the BFI for our much-anticipated GHOST STORIES FOR CHRISTMAS: VOLUME 1 set which features stunning new artwork by Matt Needle."

Click image for larger version

Name:	ghost.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	398272
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

If these are proper HD restorations, they should look stunning. Definitely in for an upgrade if that's the case.
                      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X