Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

It amazes me that good people can find enjoyment in such a film, but man, is this movie ever awesome. :gory:
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

I dunno if I 'enjoy it' the way I enjoy Caddy Shack, but yeah, it's got to be one of the best serial killer films ever made. No matter how many times I see it, it gets under my skin. Further proof that you don't need a huge budget and A-list stars and massive effects sequences to make a great movie. Rooker is amazing in it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It is really good. Everyone in it is fantastic. I remember when it came out it played art theaters and I believe Siskel and Ebert gave it a positive review, but it really rides that exploitation line. It's also on the Disturbo 13 list.
      Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

I like that it was based (loosely) on the claims made my Henry Lee Lucas and Otis O'Toole (the sleaze who killed Adam Walsh). Tom Towles is good in it too. Good low budget stuff that makes you feel like you need a shower after you watch it.

Comment

Yeah, Ebert was into it. Gave it 3.5 stars.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...S/9140301/1023

What else is on the Disturbo 13, TTBoy?
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disturbo_13

What does it mean that I'd seen each of those films by the time I was 20. What the fuck is wrong with us?
            Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

I'd seen all of them except Salo, Nekromantik and Men Behind The Sun by the time I was 20 or so but I saw those shortly after.

I saw Ilsa when I was like 12. Still can't believe they let us rent that. They also let us rent Russ Meyer's UP! the same day.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                What the fuck is wrong with us?
                No what the fuck is wrong with those who haven't seen any of the movies on the list?

Comment

The film is flawed, but I feel Michael Rookers performance as Henry is insanely good which elevates this from being pure exploitation with shock value to world class exploitation with shock value.
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Do you think though that the film's exploitative nature (and I agree with you that it's definitely there) makes it a lesser picture? The violence, particularly the sexualized side of the violence, definitely makes it a more effective movie in my opinion.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I think there are a lot of people that are/would be into horror but not this. The realistic stuff freaks people out.
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        Do you think though that the film's exploitative nature (and I agree with you that it's definitely there) makes it a lesser picture? The violence, particularly the sexualized side of the violence, definitely makes it a more effective movie in my opinion.
                        No, not at all. I would rather say in a case like this its exploitative way makes it more compelling, and gives its sleazyness a more appropriate context. Cause the same plot and violence in a more "serious" a-film with pretentions would probably feel more wrong and awkward.
                        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Gotcha. I agree with you on that, and with Alison - this one, like The Untold Story, is a tough watch for some people who would otherwise be more than happy to watch equally gory (but far less realistic) slasher movies.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Pretty much the definitive film on the how to's and motivations of a serial killer. Every film since dealing with serial killers has stolen from this film in some way.

Check out Angst by the way.
                            Alex K.
                            Last edited by Alex K.; 02-15-2012, 11:41 PM.
                            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I have been a huge fan of Henry since I rented it right after it first hit vhs. I try to watch it at least once a year. And it is in my top 20 movies list. Rooker is amazing in it,but then so is Towles.

Comment

Working...
                              X