The People Under the Stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The People Under the Stairs

I think this may be Craven's best Hollywood picture. Not saying he's a complete hack ever since he sold out, he makes decent films though I'm no fan of the Scream franchise. I would consider Craven to be a beast who has lost his fangs and this was the last film he made that's really subversive.

Yeah the kid in it has a few one-liners but it's certainly a very subversive horror picture with things in it you just wouldn't see today in big mainstream film. And the acting by the parents are absolutely phenomenal. The bath scene is still effective and I'll argue that the ultra religious parents are based on Craven's childhood as I recall reading his childhood was pretty rough with ultra conservative parents.

This one doesn't get a lot of love. What do you guys think?
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Saw this when it came out in the theatre, and haven't seen it since. I should revisit it as I don't remember much.

Comment

I rented it in the VHS years and remember being really impressed with it. Subversive is probably the right way to describe it, lots of black humor and twisted ideas going around in this one - I don't remember it as well as I'd like to, which means that it's probably time to give it another spin. I've always liked Craven's pre-Scream stuff (even the Scream movies I can enjoy), even dopey shit like Shocker - but this one definitely left a strong impression on me.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I recall being entertained by it, but I've not seen it since the theatrical run. Wasn't the insane women of the house kind of milfy sexy? I remember he falling on ass and saying somthing about it, like "Ow my bottom!". THat's all I remember, other than the kid who is the hero had a really dumb name.

Comment

From FB:

**DOUBLE SURPRISE! NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT & ARTWORK REVEAL!**

Our “Summer of Fear Part 2” line-up continues to increase with our plans to release Wes Craven's fascinating and weird (in the best way possible) cult favorite THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS in an all-new Collector's Edition release!

Planned release is for August and pre-order links will go up next month. The newly designed artwork you see here is official. (Purists: Yes, the classic "skull house" original poster art will be on the flip side too.) No exact details to announce about if any upcoming extras but we already have two all-new ones banked and more planned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1491441_607793372691011_198.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	348216
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That poster is terrible.

Comment

Isn't there a really cheap blu out already? I enjoyed it, but don't know if I need a 25 dollar Scream Factory blu. The exchange is fucking us up here

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                Isn't there a really cheap blu out already?
                Arrow released it in the UK about 18 months ago. I can't remember if their disc is region free or not, but it can usually be bought within the UK for around £8.
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                  Isn't there a really cheap blu out already? I enjoyed it, but don't know if I need a 25 dollar Scream Factory blu. The exchange is fucking us up here
                  Universal released a barebones Blu-ray last September, it is currently about $13.50 US.

Comment

Lots of extras for this one....

SCREAM FACTORY(TM) PRESENTS WES CRAVENS' THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS (COLLECTOR'S EDITION) ON BLU-RAY AUGUST 11, 2015

In Every Neighborhood There Is One House That Adults Whisper About And Children Cross the Street to Avoid...

Los Angeles, CA - Shout! Factory has announced the August 11 Blu-ray release of horror master Wes Craven's The People Under The Stairs (Collector's Edition). The Scream Factory treatment of this much-loved film includes several new bonus features.

This terrifying journey from the director of A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream takes you inside a demented house. Trapped inside the fortified home owned by a mysterious couple, a young boy is suddenly thrust into a nightmare, quickly learning the true nature of the house's homicidal inhabitants and the secret creatures hidden deep within the house.

Starring Everett McGill (Twin Peaks, Dune), Wendy Robie (Twin Peaks), Brandon Adams (The Mighty Ducks), Ving Rhames (Piranha 3D, Mission Impossible), A.J. Langer (Escape From L.A.) and Sean Whalen (Rob Zombie's Halloween II, Hatchet III), this "ambitious...very strange horror movie" (Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide) will grab you when you least expect it... and never let go.

The People Under The Stairs (Collector's Edition) Special Features:

·Audio Commentary with writer/director Wes Craven
                    ·Audio Commentary with actors Brandon Adams, A.J. Langer, Sean Whalen, and Yan Birch
                    ·House Mother - an interview with actress Wendy Robie
                    ·What Lies Beneath - interviews with special make-up effects Artists Greg Nicotero, Howard Berger and Robert Kurtzman
                    ·House of Horrors - an interview with director of photography Sandi Sissel
                    ·Settling The Score - an interview with composer Don Peake
                    ·Behind-The-Scenes Footage
                    ·Vintage "Making of" Featurette
                    ·Theatrical Trailer
                    ·TV Spots
                    ·Still Galleries (Original Storyboards and Official Stills)

Shout! Factory, LLC is a diversified multi-platform media company devoted to producing, uncovering, preserving and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their entire careers sharing their music, television and film favorites with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory's DVD and Blu-Ray(TM) offerings serve up feature films, classic and contemporary TV series, animation, live music and comedy specials in lavish packages crammed with extras. Shout's audio division boasts GRAMMY®-nominated box sets, Broadway cast albums, new releases from storied artists, lovingly assembled album reissues and indispensable "best of" compilations. In addition, Shout! Factory maintains a vast digital distribution network which delivers video and audio content to all the leading digital service providers in North America. Shout! Factory also owns and operates Timeless Media Group, Biograph Records, Majordomo Records, HighTone Records and Video Time Machine. These riches are the result of a creative acquisition mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit shoutfactory.com
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Great extras.

Comment

Scream is releasing this on UHD in April.

Comment

Shout! Factory are giving this a UHD release soon.

“Wes Craven’s most satisfying movie.” – San Francisco Chronicle

THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS [Collector’s Edition] Creeps Up to 4K UHD + Blu-Ray™ on May 30, 2023 from Scream Factory™

Los Angeles, CA - Step inside the one house adults whisper about and that children cross the street to avoid with The People Under The Stairs [Collector’s Edition] unleashing in a 4K UHD + Blu-Ray combo on May 30, 2023 from Scream Factory™. The Wes Craven horror cult classic makes its 4K debut with a new and restored transfer from the original camera negative.

Fans of the legendary director’s chilling thriller can pre-order their Collector’s Edition copy at ShoutFactory.com. Customers ordering from the Shout Factory site will receive an Exclusive 18” x 24” Rolled Poster featuring the original theatrical artwork while supplies last.

Wes Craven, the director of A Nightmare On Elm Street and Scream, takes you on a terrifying journey inside the most demented house on the street. Trapped inside a fortified home owned by a mysterious couple, a young boy is suddenly thrust into a nightmare. The boy quickly learns the true nature of the house's homicidal inhabitants and the secret creatures hidden deep within the house.

Starring Everett McGill (Twin Peaks, Dune), Wendy Robie (Twin Peaks), Brandon Adams (The Mighty Ducks), Ving Rhames (Piranha 3D, Mission: Impossible), A.J. Langer (Escape From L.A.) and Sean Whalen (Rob Zombie's Halloween II, Hatchet III), The People Under The Stairs will grab you when you least expect it ... and never let go.

Special Features

DISC 1: 4K UHD
                          • NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative
                          • In Dolby Vision (HDR-10 Compatible)
                          • Audio Commentary with director Wes Craven
                          • Audio Commentary with actors Brandon Adams, A.J. Langer, Sean Whalen and Yan Birch
                          • Audio Commentary with actor Brandon Adams, moderated by Calum Waddell
                          • Fear, Freud & Class Warfare – an interview with Wes Craven
                          • Behind Closed Doors – an interview with actress A.J. Langer
                          • Silent But Deadly – an interview with actor Sean Whalen
                          • Underneath the Floorboards – filmmaker Jeffrey Reddick recalls the lasting impact of the film
                          • Theatrical Trailer

AUDIO:
                          English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
                          English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0

DISC 2: Blu-Ray
                          NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative
                          Audio Commentary with director Wes Craven
                          Audio Commentary with actors Brandon Adams, A.J. Langer, Sean Whalen and Yan Birch

• Audio Commentary with actor Brandon Adams, moderated by Calum Waddell
                          • House Mother – an interview with actress Wendy Robie
                          • What Lies Beneath: The Effects of THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
                          • House of Horrors – an interview with cinematographer Sandi Sissel
                          • Settling the Score – an interview with composer Don Peake
                          • Behind-the-Scenes footage
                          • Theatrical Trailer
                          • TV Spots
                          • Vintage Making-of Featurette
                          • Original Storyboards
                          • Still Gallery

AUDIO:
                          English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
                          English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0

About Shout! Factory
                          Shout! Factory, LLC is a leading multi-platform media company devoted to film and TV distribution, development, and production, as well as the preservation and revitalization of the very best in pop-culture entertainment. Founded by Richard Foos, Bob Emmer, and Garson Foos in 2003, Shout! owns and manages a large portfolio of films, contemporary and classic TV series, animation, and documentaries. The company’s creative acquisition mandate has established it as a leading independent distributor, with partners and properties including GKIDS, Sesame Street, The Carol Burnett Show, The Johnny Carson Show, IFC Films, Stephen J. Cannell Productions, ITV Studios, Major League Baseball Productions, and many others. Shout! Factory Kids focuses on live-action and animated kids and family properties, and the company releases films and television shows in other genres under the Scream Factory and Shout Select imprints. Shout! develops, acquires and distributes new films via Shout! Studios, owns and operates libraries including Mystery Science Theater 3000 (in partnership with creator Joel Hodgson) and the Roger Corman New Horizon Pictures Library, and operates the acclaimed streaming service Shout! Factory TV. Shout! Factory is based in Los Angeles, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit shoutfactory.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	puts.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	413075
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Diabolik are reporting that Scream Factory have region locked the UHD. Scumfucks.
                            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Working...
                            X