Willy's Wonderland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy's Wonderland

Had the misfortune of seeing this last night; currently seeing a woman who will say, "Let's watch something neither of us have seen" and also loves Nicolas Cage.

So, this is basically Child's Play x 30; a man who does bad things to children owns a playland populated by mechanical mascots, and hires the worst of the worst to work there. When they're about to get busted, they all transfer their souls into the animatronics. When the town decides to tear down Willy's and move on, one of the people responsible for getting the job done is found murdered. So, the sheriff decides that they'll let the wonderland stand, and will arrange for victims to "feed" the mascots.

Anyway, it's flat out horrible. I can't believe it actually got made, I said about 17 times. I was also high as balls, so it was unintentionally entertaining. Very amazing what Nicolas Cage will allow himself to be cast in.

I saw the trailer for this and decided that I was pretty good with that and never investigated further.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

My take on this one was that it seems like a project that might have started life as someone's idea for an abstract, video game-inspired short - y'know, Cage silently cleans, drinks energy drinks, plays pinball, fights animatronic animal bosses, all cut to some pulsing, repetitive music - that's got to be a fun way to spend 20/30 minutes right?

Then somebody else chimed in with, "hey, if we give this some real world context, put in some other characters, write some dialogue, come up with a back story, make it more of a conventional horror thing... maybe we can string it out into a feature (and can afford to hire the real Nicolas Cage)?"

Long story short, the tension between these two approaches is never satisfactorily resolved.

It's constantly feeling its way toward some awesome/euphoric moment of lunacy that would justify its existence... but it never quite gets there. Each time it gets close, it pulls its punches., or fucks it up, as if the filmmakers are afraid they'll lose the mainstream audience if they just go way-out-there and embrace the kind of craziness the material demands.

Still, I didn't hate it, and it makes me happy that Nicolas Cage oddball stoner horror films are now such a recognisible/bankable sub-genre that people are building them from scratch rather than just casting him in pre-existing properties. I believe this is a positive development, and I hope they keep on comin'. (I also understand however that others may feel differently on this subject.)
      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

This one started as a script for the Five Nights at Freddy's movie that has been in development hell for years, apparently rejected by the game's creator for changing too much for his approval.

Think about that for a second. A rejected video game movie adaptation script. That may be the scariest thing I can imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
          This one started as a script for the Five Nights at Freddy's movie that has been in development hell for years, apparently rejected by the game's creator for changing too much for his approval.

Think about that for a second. A rejected video game movie adaptation script. That may be the scariest thing I can imagine.
          I know zilch about video games, but this explains a lot (as well as invalidating the final para of my post above).

It also makes me less inclined to give the film a break, given that the main thing I thought it had going for it was the strangeness/originality of the basic concept.
          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hahaha, it's awesome having all of this insight!

Comment

This movie eats animatronic weasel dick.
              "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                Had the misfortune of seeing this last night; currently seeing a woman who will say, "Let's watch something neither of us have seen" and also loves Nicolas Cage.
                The next time these circumstances occur can I suggest Mum And Dad. Weird, weird music choices in that film but otherwise some prime Cage.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

The next time these circumstances occur can I suggest Mum And Dad. Weird, weird music choices in that film but otherwise some prime Cage.
                  I remember liking that one when I saw it

Comment

Time for some Punch Pop and pinball! lol

Comment

Working...
                    X