No announcement yet.

Jordan Peele's Nope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the trailer, he may have delivered the next Cowboys vs.Aliens!
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Yes, it does seem very Spielbergian.

Comment

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/nope...-kaluuya-july/

"Nope, the new Jordan Peele film is out in July, and while we have seen a trailer, we still know next to nothing about it. He teased a bit in the new Empire Magazine about it though, including the role he specifically wrote for star Daniel Kaluuya, who also starred in Get Out: "I wrote NOPE with Daniel in mind for the role – a humble man destined for an epic and otherworldly confrontation," Peele tells Empire. "Daniel's craft is on a different level, but it's his warmth that grounds audiences even during points of absolute madness. You may be watching a nightmare, but when he's on-screen, at least you've got your brother with you, and that's all you need.""

More at the link.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

NOPE ... still doesn't convince me that it's gonna be good!

Comment

I want those three minutes back.
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Well I still think it looks fun. The reveal that it's a flying saucer seems less fun than the mystery that it was. Hoping for some Tremors style thrills.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Another clip and a bit more info here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235169817/
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

NOPE (2022) - Jordan Peele's NOPE like it predecessors GET OUT and US, takes a basic premise that has been done before, and adds Peele's unique take on the material (Peele, to his credit, always acknowledges his influences). Here, Peele jumps off from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, SIGNS and other alien dramas.

OJ (Daniel Kaluuya) and Emerald Hayward (Keke Palmer) are siblings who have taken over the family business of training horses used in TV and movies. Their ranch is in a secluded area just north of Los Angeles. When strange phenomena begin to appear, they seek to document whatever they may discover and, with the aid of an eager Fry's Electronics Store tech geek, Angel (Brandon Perea), they set up an array of cameras. Also in the mix, is a former child actor turned Western theme park showman Ricky Park (Steven Yeun) and a crusty cinematographer out to get the ultimate shot, Antlers Horst (Michael Wincott - doing his best Sam Elliot).

Once the encounters begin, Peele's debt to the Spielberg film become even more apparent. The beingshave the ability to disrupt the electromagnetic field knocking out power and electricity. And, they use clouds to camouflage themselves. Peele throws in a number of ideas which try to tie it all together including a tragic backstory about Yeun's acting career and the fact that the Haywards trace their lineage to the very earliest days of cinema. Unfortunately, as with US, the story-telling gets a bit jumbled even while one can see where the film is going and what Peele's intentions are.

Certainly, there are some interesting themes at play including Hollywood's 'hidden history' of how minorities haven't been part of the process; The treatment of animals and how they have been exploited for show is also at play. Kaluuya's performance is fine, but, his laconic style doesn't make for a very exciting hero. Palmer adds a lot of spark, but, the film needed a stronger central character, especially when the villains are so amorphous. The SFX are good, but, hardly ground-breaking or very complex. Shooting on 65mm, Hoyte Van Hoytema cinematography is decent, but a bit disappointing. Michael Abels score is effective here and there, but, like the screenplay, a little all over the place at times.

Jordan Peele continues to make films which challenge the status quo in genre films, but, as with US he bites off more than he can quite pull off. NOPE is a classic example of the “it works on paper” film. The various strands do join together (if uneasily), but it doesn't work on the screen. The mysteries should work to draw the viewer in to wondering what is GOING to happen, rather than constantly looking back at what happened in the PAST. Ideas and themes go only so far when the overall story lacks a sustaining drive and momentum. In US, Lupita Nyong'o's vivacious performance carried the way. GET OUT had a strong driving narrative force and structure. More of that next time would only be an improvement.

Comment

Best Buy has as preorder page up for a steelbook edition.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nope-st...?skuId=6514615

Click image for larger version

Name:	FZY91eVXoAISVAl.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	398356
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Count me in as someone who digs NOPE. It’s the only Peele movie I can say I legitimately liked. US and GET OUT showed potential, NOPE went to the next level, IMO.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Ben. Seems to be a polarizing film in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                            It can't be easy for a relatively new director to have so much pressure put on him to deliver. It would probably be better if he were allowed some time to come up with something really good as opposed to "We want the next GET OUT.... NOW!".
                            I haven't seen Nope yet, and I am looking forward to it, but the amount of hype around Peele is insane. I was listening to Justin Bateman's podcast when they had Peele on and they essentially spent the entire thing telling Pelle he's the greatest director working today. Admittedly there's not a lot of filmmakers to get excited about at the moment but Peele hasn't done half of what he needs to do for this kind of hype.
                            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I haven't seen Nope yet, and I am looking forward to it, but the amount of hype around Peele is insane. I was listening to Justin Bateman's podcast when they had Peele on and they essentially spent the entire thing telling Pelle he's the greatest director working today. Admittedly there's not a lot of filmmakers to get excited about at the moment but Peele hasn't done half of what he needs to do for this kind of hype.
                              There was an amusing exchange on Twitter where some rando claimed that Peele had made three 'masterpieces' in a row and that Peele was literally the greatest horror director ever.

As the dude was ruthlessly ratioed Peele even commented and asked the guy to put down his phone.

So he doesn't seem to be letting it give him a big head so far.

Comment

I dug it. If Get Out was Peele's Stepford Wives, and it was, then this was his Jaws. That saucer flitting between clouds was a very obvious stand in for the fin of Spielbergs film.

It's an odd movie but I appreciate that. I was watching The Wicker Man with the little lady the night before and I was bemoaning the fact that you just don't get that kind of strange, personal filmmaking anymore. No hint of a formula for The Wicker Man. This film is a welcome throwback. There's a lot happening here that tried my patience, and that I can't justify in a narrative sense, but God bless that there's someone out there who still has the freedom to do whatever the fuck he wants even if what he wants is an extended sequence of a murdering chimp for no reason at all.

Probably my favourite of his 3 so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X