Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Final Destination Films - Big Dumb Fun OR Just Dumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Destination Films - Big Dumb Fun OR Just Dumb?

I'm curious what the rest of you think. I rewatched the fourth film last night and was reminded how much fun I have with these movies, being wholly aware that they really do follow a formula and that they really are kind of dumb - but at the same time, I like the whole 'mouse trap' style kill scenes and the fact that they don't really pretend to be much more than just gory ninety minute trash films made with a big studio budget.

I'm still of the opinion that the second one is the best of the series, especially in its unrated form, but all four amuse me with the fourth being the weakest entry but still enjoyable enough thanks to the aforementioned kill scenes (I dig the death by escalator scene). I'm interested in the newest fifth film but will catch it on Blu-ray when it comes out rather than go to the theater for it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I really like the whole lot of them -- but the last few times I've tried starting discussion on the series anywhere, people just payed out on me like I was some kind of dick for liking the films (apart from one mention on these forums). Thus, apart from saying that I really liked the series, count me out this time around (as it always ends up badly with me and FD1-5)

Comment

I've seen 4 of them and enjoyed them, though I don't own any on DVD. My daughter is a big fan and she usually drags us to the theater and gosh darn it... I always enjoy them! Rube Goldberg lives!

Comment

That's more or less my take too. How old is your daughter, Mike? I'm only curious because I figure these are catered to teenagers, but they're R so technically you should be over 18 to see them (I'm guessing a lot of 14-17 year olds are helping these movies rake in the cash).
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ebert's take on FD5.

""FD5" shows a lot of ingenuity. The recurring theme this time will be skewering and lots of it. The characters have names but they might as well be called after items for a shish kebob: lamb, chicken, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, some nice peppers. (I like to use green, red and yellow.)"

Ha. That made me laugh. Thanks, Rog.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I enjoyed the first one in the theatre. Not sure if I saw any of the sequels.
            Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

The only other reason I don't talk about the series, even though we loved them, is that they proved an incredible jinx. Before 4 came out on disc, I had 1 thru 3 on DVD sitting around collecting dust so we decided to have a "Final Destination" weekend: 1 on Friday night, 2 Saturday and 3 Sunday (can't watch them all at once with a young 'un). First thing Monday morning we got a call from Dad that Mum had taken a turn for the worst...Tuesday she died.

It was incredibly spooky that we watched a series of films, all at once, about fate and death and an unexpected family tragedy occured the day following. It's our private joke now that if we watch another one...someone we know is sure to die...

Comment

I think these movies are just big dumb fun. Thinking them through too much isn't worth it -just go with the flow of these movies, which are basically elaborate set pieces, setting up the next big scene and shocking the audience.

My personal favorite is (can't remember which one this is), when they're turning off onto the road and AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" comes on the radio, followed by the logging truck accident/set piece.

Stupid movies, yes, but fun, throwaway entertainment!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T View Post
                  I really like the whole lot of them -- but the last few times I've tried starting discussion on the series anywhere, people just payed out on me like I was some kind of dick for liking the films (apart from one mention on these forums). Thus, apart from saying that I really liked the series, count me out this time around (as it always ends up badly with me and FD1-5)
                  People seriously hassled you for liking these movies? They're probably just scared to admit their own guilty pleasure movies. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Zane C. View Post
                    People seriously hassled you for liking these movies? They're probably just scared to admit their own guilty pleasure movies. :)
                    It was just the usually ragging on a guy coz he admitted to liking "modern horror" -- no biggie really. I'm used to that these days. But seriously, I really loved the series and I was going to cite that spectacular truck crash too -- that was just an amazing setpiece. Very much looking forward to fifth film, when it hits home video for me as cinemas are out these days with the little guy. This reminds me...I must watch Snakes on a Plane, as I bought it cheap and on the basis it was made by one of the Final Destination guys.

Comment

I have them all and they are great fun

Comment

Assuming it's legit, but don't know for sure. Nice poster art though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FLnklG7VcAANyzs.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	387387
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The movie COUNTDOWN on Netflix has a similar plot device, but too many groan-inducing moments toward the end.
                          VHS will never die!

Comment

Working...
                          X