No announcement yet.

Rob Zombie Making A New Munsters Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He certainly got more ambitious with those, in that he began cribbing from Kubrick and Ken Russell instead of just Tobe Hooper. His cinematographer on those did a lot of heavy lifting I'd say.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Munsters on Netflix in September

https://ew.com/tv/the-munsters-addam...esday-netflix/

"This fall we are gonna spook-out like it's 1964!" wrote Zombie.

Are we ready to spook-out with Rob?
      George Barry
      Last edited by George Barry; 07-20-2022, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Ugh. Im going with no.

Comment

You can buy the Blu-ray on 9/27.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I went to Robert Zombie's Instagram post of the trailer, secretly hoping the comments would be filled with the vitriol it deserves, but people are loving this shit. His super fans cannot WAIT! SO MUCH FUN! LOVE THE COLORS! LOOKS FUN! CAN'T WAIT!
            Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Off topic a bit, but I watched 3 FROM HELL for the second time the other night and it's a lot of trashy fun. I think as the years go by people will start to appreciate it more. It's all over the place and it's just so fast-paced, sleazy and darkly funny. You have to give RZ props for providing this much politically incorrect entertainment. So many great individual set-pieces: one of my favourite parts is when the prison guard lures Baby to the basement so two butch inmates can kill her. One thing I found amusing this time is how it's structured almost exactly like DEVIL'S REJECTS. In that sense, it's a pointless movie, but for sheer low-brow thrills it works just fine.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I detest his attempts to make rapists into cool superheroes but Devil's Rejects and 3 from Hell are well made, the first one is effectively disturbing in spots and the second one is trashy fun. I think Lords of Salem is his best film.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                  I detest his attempts to make rapists into cool superheroes
                  This is interesting. I don't know how I feel about this troubling aspect in his films. I certainly felt like the violence was too "sexy" at times during my recent rewatch of 3 FROM HELL. There seems to be an attempt at portraying the world at large as a fleapit, considering almost all of the characters in his films are fucked up in some way. I wonder what RZ is actually trying to do in this respect: is he glorifying these monsters or just trying to show that even the worst people in the world have downtime just like the rest of us? I'd imagine even serial killers sit around bored and laugh and make jokes in-between killing sprees. Can you think of any other examples of killers on film portrayed the way they are in the RZ universe?

Comment

Perhaps House on the Edge of the Park? A film I don't like much at all (disco soundtrack aside) as it also completely false but that's par for the course from Deodato, who I kinda lovehate and has to he one of the least sincere directors ever. So I can't take anything he does in a film seriously.

Whereas Zombie seems to sincerely think his protagonists are cool lumpenprole rebels. Which is a particularly American fringe idea tied to the apologist cult for Manson and the family.

That rather absurd notion comes out most clearly with the endings of DR and to lesser extent 3 From Hell.

Ironically I think it is the effectiveness of the rape and murder scene in the hotel in DR that undermines Zombie's later attempts to portray the cop as 'just as bad' and the particularly ill-judged sentimentality of the shootout ending of DR. Imagine if Noe tried to turn the rapist in Irreversible into an anti-hero or something.

I thought DR was surprisingly good until the last reel where it falls apart for me. I didn't feel 3 from Hell was quite as egregious in that regard as it didn't have anything as effective as that hotel scene to undermine the whole thing.

Another possibility are some of the most extreme pinky violence films of Japan and some CATIII which have an ambigious stance towards their rapist murderer protagonists. But even there there is some ambiguity in their blank nihilism, only Zombie seems to go as far as to portray his psychos as actual heroes.

Hell even the most extreme rape themed xxx films of the 70s/80s end with a violent revenge visited on the central pyschos: Forced Entry, Femmes de Sade, Taming of Rebecca, The Taking of Christina.

Even if the film seems to delight in the depravity of the nutter there is at least a hypocritical gesture towards their punishment. Often they even use that climatic revenge as an excuse to pump the sadism or grotesqueness up to 11 (Femmes in particular, which feels appropriate), which is really just more redmeat for the audience.

Maybe Zombie thinks he's undermining the genre requirement for the bad guy to be punished but I think the issue is that it denies the audience the catharsis or cheap thrills they were looking forward to and replaces it with sentimentality and a moral ickiness that is naive not transgressive.
                    Randy G
                    Last edited by Randy G; 07-23-2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                      Ironically I think it is the effectiveness of the rape and murder scene in the hotel in DR that undermines Zombie's later attempts to portray the cop as 'just as bad' and the particularly ill-judged sentimentality of the shootout ending of DR. Imagine if Noe tried to turn the rapist in Irreversible into an anti-hero or something.
                      Yeah, I hate the ending of DR as well. It's a huge misstep in that it's really not ambiguous anymore how he really feels about them at the end. You're absolutely right that it really can't work after the motel scene; it's just too horrifying. Of course, it's possible that he created this conundrum on purpose.

Comment

Apparently there's been some strange claims this film was made for $40M?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220724_115044.png
Views:	190
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	397665

Comment

I somehow doubt that this flick will see people returning to Netflix in droves. But, yes, it was made for Universal's straight to video arm so it was never meant to play theatrically.
                          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Heheh, there's been a pretty fair bit of misinformation about this one for some reason. There is a 60 page thread of back and forth about this over at the CHFB. I haven't read it all, just check in now and again and read the most recent posts. It's definitely amusing.

Comment

Hard to believe but even for RZ this is really realllly bad. Oof.

Comment

Originally posted by JonesyTheCat View Post
                                Hard to believe but even for RZ this is really realllly bad. Oof.
                                You've seen it?

Comment

Working...
                                X