Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch Black (4K UHD)

Arrow final goes UHD.

THERE S A NEW REASON TO BE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

A sci-fi/horror sleeper hit that birthed a franchise and launched the career of a new action movie icon, Pitch Black holds its own today as a nerve-shredding creature-feature in which the monsters outside finally meet their match against a monster within.

When an intergalactic transport ship crashes on a remote desert planet with no sign of help on the horizon, the survivors, led by Fry (Radha Mitchell), band together to find a way back home. Among the passengers is Riddick (Vin Diesel), a convicted murderer being transported by marshal Johns (Cole Hauser) and now freed of his chains and on the loose. But as a solar eclipse plunges the planet into total darkness, a threat even worse than Riddick reveals itself, and the last humans standing may have to form an uneasy truce with the cunning fugitive (whose eyes have been surgically altered to see in the dark) to last the long night.

Boasting crackerjack direction and a whip-smart script by David Twohy, as well as a star-making performance by Diesel, Riddick s first outing is freshly unleashed in an illuminating, brand new 4K restoration, with hours of exclusive bonus content.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
    Brand new 4K restoration by Arrow Films of the Theatrical and Director s Cuts of the film, approved by director David Twohy
    High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
    Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
    Archive commentary with director David Twohy and stars Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser
    Archive commentary with director David Twohy, producer Tom Engelman and visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
    A newly filmed interview with director/co-writer David Twohy
    A newly filmed interview with actor Rhiana Griffith
    A newly filmed interview with actor Claudia Black
    A newly filmed interview with cinematographer David Eggby
    A newly filmed interview with visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
    A newly filmed interview with composer Graeme Revell
    The Making of Pitch Black, a short behind-the-scenes featurette
    Pitch Black Raw, a comparison between early CG tests and the final footage
    Additional behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the film
    2004 archive bonus features, including an introduction by Twohy, A View Into The Dark, and Chronicles of Riddick Visual Encyclopedia
    Johns Chase Log, a short prequel narrated by Cole Hauser detailing the character s hunt for Riddick
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (in 16:9 widescreen with DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio), an animated short film directed by Peter Chung that acts as a bridgepoint between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, featuring vocal performances by Vin Diesel, Keith David and Rhiana Griffith reprising their roles
    Dark Fury bonus features including Bridging The Gap, Peter Chung: The Mind of an Animator, A View Into The Light, and a pre-animation version of the film
    Slam City, a motion comic from the film s official website
    Into Pitch Black, a TV special offering an alternative non-canon glimpse into what happened before and after the events of the film
    Raveworld: Pitch Black Event, footage of a dance music event held to promote the film
    Theatrical trailers, plus trailers for the two sequels and video game
    Image galleries
    Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece
    FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collectors booklet featuring new writing by Simon Ward on the film s creature designs and much more

Great that Arrow have gone 4k, but not a big fan of this one though. It's watchable I guess.

I have a friend who went to see this because he thought that it was a South Central LA gang movie from the title.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I hate Vin Diesel. I think a lot of it has to do with his stupid name. He looks like he's incapable of smiling.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
        Great that Arrow have gone 4k, but not a big fan of this one though. It's watchable I guess.

I have a friend who went to see this because he thought that it was a South Central LA gang movie from the title.
        I think it'll look great with HDR, but, man is this the definition of mediocre studio sci-fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
          I hate Vin Diesel. I think a lot of it has to do with his stupid name. He looks like he's incapable of smiling.
          My brother-in-law really loves this movie. He's also a big fan of Dwayne Johnson and his movies.
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I don't like Vin Diesel either but this movie's not that bad. Good premise and some decent gore. It moves fast and besides, any film with Keith David in the cast can't be all bad.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Shit film.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

It's just ok. I like the movie SCREAMERS a lot more for a similar desolate cheap-o sci-fi flick. I agree with Andrew, Keith David is reason enough to watch it. Never seen the follow ups or the animated short even though it had character designs and direction by Peter Chung (Aeon Flux), I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for any of it.
                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I was thinking you guys were being too harsh. I always had it in my head that this was an independent, no budget, little engine that could movie. A couple million dollars and a lot of chutzpah. On that level I always thought it was a reasonable survival horror riff. Just looked it up though. $23 million dollar studio product. Suddenly it's hard to cut it any slack.

Has to be said though, it's still a fuck ton better than The Chronicles Of Riddick. What the hell were they thinking with that?
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

They were thinking, PITCH BLACK made money, and so did Chronicles of Narnia, let's combine the two.

Comment

I haven't seen it in a while but I'm in the 'it was decent' camp. Not a classic but entertaining enough with some good tension, and yeah, Keith David is the man.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I remember this getting a lot of praise when it was new and it really has to do with the sorry state of horror at that time; it only looked good because all that was coming out around 2000 were lame slashers inspired by SCREAM. This felt like a breath of fresh air.
                        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I guess a limited edition German UHD came out recently, but it's almost sold out. So if you're into limited edition German UHD's and need Pitch Black, I guess now is the time to act.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fqsd5sRXgAI-VDe.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	410838
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                          X