No announcement yet.

The Howling Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more I think about this the more it bugs me. I understand the need and want, at least from a commercial perspective, to make a movie that's going to cash in on a trend. This is nothing new, it's been happening for ages and it's simply part of the business. With that said, I don't see why, if they felt that they HAD to make a teen-centric werewolf movie, that they couldn't have at least tried to do something a little more original with the concept than what they did here. If they were going for the R rating they got, they could have upped the exploitative elements considerably and maybe at least delivered a fun 'trash film' but the movie doesn't even have that going for it. If they hadn't tacked 'The Howling' onto it this would probably irk me less. Not that the sequels in the series have really been great but it does, to an extent, disrespect the original movie (which I hold in very high regard).
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It looks to metrosexual to me. Though I am not a horror man, so I can't really say much. Perhaps they are all like these nowadays and I have just missed it.
      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Francis View Post
        Twilight knock-off, I knew it. I can NOT believe they did that with THE HOWLING name. Shame on them.
        Plenty of other people have already soiled the name. Why not more? Pile it on.

Comment

Coming from Scream Factory...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Confession: I've never seen the original. I've seen all of the sequels but never the original. I have it here and I really should watch it but just haven't gotten around to it.

Part 2 I've seen more than I like to admit. Really fun "So bad it's good" flick. Easily the best sequel.

Part 3 I've seen maybe 2-3 times. Each time I hope to like it but after the 1st act it just falls apart. There's some genuinely funny moments but not enough of them. And none of the characters are likable and the story is all over the place.

Part 4 is (another confession) the only movie in my life to have ever made me puke. I remember it very clearly back in the day, USA Network was running a week-long marathon of the Howling movies and I tuned in for Part 4 and somehow missed all of the boring shit in it. But I managed to start watching right at the scene where a guy melts and becomes a werewolf. Incredibly, the scene played out uncut on USA. Great scene but my 9 or 10 year old self was overwhelmed and puked and was terribly nauseous the rest of the day. No other film did that for me, closest I ever came to puking again was when I was 13 and watched City of the Living Dead but I held out. I saw the whole film many years later and it's unremarkably bland and uninteresting aside from that one scene.

Part 5 I've only seen once, that's the one set in the castle, it was okay. Can't complain too much about that one.

Part 6 is easily the second best sequel. Has an interesting plot and some good effects work and a lot of interesting things going on. The only thing it needed were more scenes showing the werewolf or the vampire.

Part 7 is one of the worst films of all time. I don't even think it's so bad it's good.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I have no memory of having started this thread. Wow. I must be getting old.

Comment

In your defence, when you started it it was specifically about the last movie. I changed the title to let it cover the whole series.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ah-ha! That's why this thread doesn't ring a bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                    Confession: I've never seen the original.
                    man, you've got to get on that. today.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
                      man, you've got to get on that. today.
                      It's only the best one in the series. In fact, it's the only good one in the series!

Comment

Extras announced for the BD of II:

**FINAL EXTRAS for HOWLING II Revealed!**

Get ready to bay at the moon with excitement after you read what killer bonus materials we have lined up for our upcoming blu-ray of the Sybil Danning "Stirba Werewolf Bitch" cult classic!

• Audio Commentary With Director Philippe Mora
                        • Audio Commentary With Composer Steve Parsons And Editor Charles Bornstein.
                        • Leading Man - An Interview With Actor Reb Brown
                        • Queen of the Werewolves - An Interview With Actress Sybil Danning
                        • A Monkey Phase - Interviews With Special Make-Up Effects Artists Steve Johnson And Scott Wheeler
                        • Behind the Scenes Footage (in HD - from Philippe Mora's archive)
                        • Alternate Opening and Alternate Ending (in HD - from Philippe Mora's archive)
                        • Theatrical Trailer
                        • Still Gallery
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

New UK Blu-ray release coming soon for The Howling:

Brand New Extras:
                          - Howlings Eternal with Producer Steven A. Lane
                          - Cut to Shreds with Editor Mark Goldblatt
                          - Interview with Co-writer Terence Winkless
                          - Horror's Hallowed Grounds: A Look at the Film's Locations
                          - Interview with Stop-Motion Animator David Allen
                          - Audio Commentary with Author Gary Brandner

Click image for larger version

Name:	81xj1Mc1SrL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	352958
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Zavvi exclusive steelbook available for those who care.

https://m.us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-h.../11686922.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	11686922-1824554327618303.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	353689
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have still yet to watch the original.
                              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

You should remedy that, it's very good.