The Howling Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Howling Films

Okay, guys, load up your guns with as much hate as you can, for here it is, the trailer for the new HOWLING movie. Let me just say it looks like shit. Looks like they went the Twilight route with it. So sad. Fango is gonna do a 2-part retrospective starting in issue #307 (September) of he original, and superior, version.

Shawn Francis
    Last edited by Shawn Francis; 07-14-2011, 11:52 AM.

Is this a remake? or a new tale?

Comment

Without having read the original novel I can't tell. But if I recall, I think, the novel is supposed to revolve around kids, or A kid, so this may be a remake closer to that. Either way, I don't like it. The werewolves, from what I glmpsed, look like crap. It's too polished, and shiny, and filled with too many kids for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
        Is this a remake? or a new tale?
        I'm guessing it's a new story ala the reboot route. The trailer has the vaguest of sniffs of Brandner's Howling III: Echoes, but it doesn't remotely resemble in the slightest the original novel (which Dante's first film and John Hough's Original Nightmare did).

However, if it gets a US R-rating and has some boobies in it, I'll give it a bash. ;)

Comment

Weird, I'm just dyin' to see THE THING prequel, but couldn't care less about THIS remake.

Comment

I could live through this. Afterall, I bought all the Twilight films on BD (and before everyone throws their arms up in horror -- my wife used to watch Oprah and she saw some stuff there and decided she wanted to see them, so I bought them for her). That I didn't mind them myself, with a reservation or two here and there, is moot. I'll watch any old shit, as long as it's relatively polished, has something resembling a budget, and doesn't make me look at the clock every other couple of minutes. Mind you, from the trailer it looks like it's been produced on the budget of the last four sequels combined. Haha...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T View Post
              I'll watch any old shit, as long as it's relatively polished, has something resembling a budget...
              Really? Those are the kind of flicks I seem to dig the most. Rough around the edges, low budget, B-variety fare. One my main beefs with "new" horror is that it looks too polished. The attempts at making things look gritty instead of them actually being gritty turns me off.

But I certainly agree with the "watch the clock" part. I know I'm doomed to painful viewing when I catch myself looking at the display to see how far the movie has progressed. Unless I am being asked to review the movie, I usually turn them off if I look to much in the first half an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
                The attempts at making things look gritty instead of them actually being gritty turns me off.
                Well said. I take back one of the mean things I've said about you in the past.

Comment

Which one? I like some of them.

Comment

Pick one, write it on a post it note, and burn it. It will be erased from time.

Comment

Already up for pre-order on BD at Amazon UK...

Howling 356 @ Amazon UK (street date: October 24th)

Comment

I thought this was a theatrical flick. Hitting DVD in the UK already? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Francis View Post
                          I thought this was a theatrical flick. Hitting DVD in the UK already? Wow.
                          It probably is, but territories like the UK and down here in Oz just don't have the population to support theatrical releases of these kinds of films* like the US does. Distributors in our regions are more likely to recoup licensing costs by putting them straight out on home video, or cable sales, than taking a gamble on a film that has little to no chance of recovering its costs on a cinema release once you factor in prints, advertising etc etc etc.

I'm sure it'll get theatrical in the US - but out here in the rest of the world BD/DVD is its best chance of getting to its target demographic with a minimum of outlay for the licensors.

* USA pop.: 308+M. UK pop.:62+M. Australia pop.: 22+M (M = million). It's fairly simple maths when you look at those figures, and movies are, afterall, a business. ;)

Comment

THE HOWLING: REBORN was acquired by Anchor Bay and is scheduled to hit DVD & Blu-Ray, for region 1, on 10/18.

Comment

Fango's got the details on the US release here.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X