• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivarium (2020)

Looks good!
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

This movie is awesome. The two leads are amazing and the movie itself is so creepy. Highly recommended.

Comment

Press release for the upcoming Blu-ray release from Lionsgate!

Street Date: 5/12/20
      Blu-rayâ„¢ + Digital SRP: $21.99
      DVD SRP: $19.98

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
      The suspenseful and nerve-rattling thriller Vivarium arrives on Digital March 27 and on Blu-ray™ (plus Digital) and DVD May 12 from Lionsgate. This film is currently available On Demand. Vivarium had its world premier at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival with overwhelmingly positive critical praise, and is Certified Fresh™ by Rotten Tomatoes. Directed by Lorcan Finnegan (Foxes, Without Name), Vivarium stars Academy Award® nominee Jesse Eisenberg (Best Actor, The Social Network, 2010) and Imogen Poots. The Vivarium Blu-ray and DVD will be available for the suggested retail price of $21.99 and $19.98, respectively.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS
      Tom and Gemma (Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots) are looking for the perfect home. When a strange real-estate agent takes them to Yonder, a mysterious suburban neighborhood of identical houses, Tom and Gemma can't wait to leave. But when they try to exit the labyrinth-like housing development, each road takes them back to where they started. Soon, they realize their search for a dream home has plunged them into a terrifying nightmare, in this taut thriller filled with white-knuckle suspense.

BLU-RAY / DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:

Audio Commentary with Director Lorcan Finnegan and Executive Producer Brunella Cocchiglia
      “Creating the Suburban Nightmare of Vivarium” Featurette

CAST:

Jesse Eisenberg Zombieland, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, The Social Network
      Imogen Poots TV's “Roadies,” 28 Weeks Later, Green Room

Trailer: https://youtu.be/W8Mu98l-pRk

PROGRAM INFORMATION
      Year of Production: 2019
      Title Copyright: Vivarium © 2019 Fantastic Films Limited - Frakas Productions SPRL - Pingpong Film APS. Artwork & Supplementary Materials © 2020 Saban Films LLC. All Rights Reserved.
      Type: Theatrical Release
      Rating: Rated R for language and some sexuality/nudity.
      Genre: Thriller
      Closed-Captioned: N/A
      Subtitles: Spanish, English SDH
      Feature Run Time: 97 minutes
      BD Format: 1080p High Definition 16x9 2.39:1 Presentation
      DVD Format: 16x9 2.39:1 Presentation
      BD Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audioâ„¢
      DVD Audio: English 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio

Click image for larger version

Name:	7e236841-d299-44f5-854f-060771f3489c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	357744
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I didn't realize this was straight to VOD. Will watch later.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

It's available to rent on Prime. Looks intriguing, I'll probably check it out one night this week.
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
            It's available to rent on Prime. Looks intriguing, I'll probably check it out one night this week.
            That's an annoying one to access for foriegners, even with a VPN.

The release strategies on movies is often hard to understand. You got a great trailer. The world wants to see your movie. It's already being pirated to hell and back. The worlds in lock down and sitting in front of their tvs right now looking for something to watch. When do you release it? Hmm, hows mid to late april sound?
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I was a little disappointed with this. It's got a good premise and the first half or so is fairly unnerving but it eventually runs out of steam. And while it's at least a bit creepy at first, it never gets very tense or at all scary. The two leads are fine, particularly Imogen Poots (who I remembered from 28 WEEKS LATER). Worth a rental maybe but that's it.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I wasn't disappointed as much as just depressed. Stuck in one location, no transport, limited supplies, complete social isolation. This isn't a horror movie, this is my fucking life!

Not so much a horror movie as an unnerving little parable. It's quirky (hate quirky) but quite impressively done I thought. Not a lot happens but the story always maintains good forward momentum. The leads do fantastic work and I think it's a film that will stick in my head which counts for something these days when I often can't remember what I watched yesterday.

Not sure it's great Covid days watching though... Really left me feeling far more meditative and miserable than is good for me at the moment. I think tomorrow I'll just watch The 'Burbs.
                Last edited by Dom D; 03-31-2020, 01:06 PM.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

It's like "do you really want to be in a committed relationship/potential family?" Felt like a Black Mirror or Twilight Zone episode. Kind of sparse, but the leads give strong performances and it's weird enough to keep you invested in it. Reminded me a bit of IN THE TALL GRASS, in that it did a lot with a single location. The most unsettling thing for me was the kid's weird pitch-shifting voice and mimicry of the couple.

Comment

I recently watched this. I had planned on seeing it a while back, when the trailer surfaced. I was OK with this movie at first, but, around the 2nd half, it didn't seem to be going many new places, until that sidewalk scene, I didn't expect that...

Still, in the end, it turned out this was an, "Artsy Fartsy" movie, I was hoping the movie would aim higher than to have it just not make sense, well, just because. Not to spoil it much, but, I was expecting something like I once saw in an episode of, "Monsters". Hard to explain without spoiling this a bit, but, I wanted to see this be an actual vivarium, aliens and shit. Instead, it went the artsy fartsy route. Too bad.

Comment

This is now free on Amazon Prime Video. For what it was, I enjoyed it. It's a supremely strange flick, and the type you expect to see from A24 (this one was distributed by Saban Films). If you want to check it out, I think you'll benefit from not watching the trailer beforehand.
                      VHS will never die!

Comment

I liked the concept of the film much more then the way it was executed. to much quirkyness for the sake of quirky, and really not material enough for a feature lenght project. But as a concept I still like it. Just a shame they botched the execution.
                        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I liked it, even though it went on a bit too long. The child's voice and the screaming was pretty damn creepy.
                          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

turned out better than I thought. the main problem is that it exactly went were you'd expected it to go. no surprises at all, no big wtf-moment, nothing...
                            they even put a fucking cuckoo bird in the beginning, just to retard-friendly explain the plot for everyone who wouldn't get it later on.

Comment

Working...
                            X