Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dawn of the Dead (and zombies in general: just for fun)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawn of the Dead (and zombies in general: just for fun)

I have been meaning to buy Dawn of the Dead, on some sort of digital medium, for years and a while back I did. I picked up the older Arrow edition out of the UK years ago, but much like a majority of their new product...it was shit. Interlaced and a really crappy NTSC-PAL conversion that was all soft and smeary and fucked, really. But there's so many bloody editions of this damn thing I don't know which one to get as a replacement?
    • There's Australian discs from Umbrella, which are also shitty standards conversions -- but there is also a two-disc BD availabel locally. Downside: no subtitles.

• Arrow have their three-disc BD edition in the UK, but with all the utter disastrous releases they've put out so far (Tenebrae is already starting to look like the worst of it next to Bird with the Crystal Plumage) I just can't trust these shysters. I can't find any confirmation anywhere on the 'net that the BD has subtitles, but oddly the other discs (both SD-DVDs for the Extended and Argento cuts...and shitty conversions to boot) do. Thus...that sounds like a pretty poor old package. And before the "Amen chorus" weigh in -- pretty packaging does NOT make a good home video release.

This leaves me with Option C:
    • The Anchor Bay BD, which by all accounts is pretty good and HAS subtitles, in conjunction with the 4-disc "Ultimate edition" for progressive scan encodes of the other versions of the film (which don't have subs, but I'm willing to forego that fact for the benefit of progressive scan and better authoring than those clueless monkeys at Arrow).

Is this my best option? I am thinking a combo of the AB BD + UE might be all there is in a decent and affordable price bracket?

Additionally: is there any BD editions of the remake that contains all of the extras from the DVD release and is All region that anyone knows of? Apparently the Aussie BD fits this bill, according to some online sources, but again I can't confirm that.

Anyhoo...that's my questions, and feel free to let the zombies consume your brains and let the thread go where it may in the Land of the Dead. :)

I've stayed away from BD presentations of it this far because I REALLY like the film and have heard that the transfer is substandard...but that may only apply to Region A areas.

Comment

I have both the Arrow BD and the AB BD. The Arrow release IS better, but I don't recall if it's got subs or not and I know for you, Mike, that that's a biggie. I can check for you after work. The transfers are, I understand, from the same source but the colors looked better on the Arrow release than the AB release, at least to my eyes - BUT neither are great, in terms of video quality. Both show some DNR and while they are a fair bit improved over the various DVD issues, they don't look a good as they could have. Perfectly watchable and all that, but not perfect.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        I have both the Arrow BD and the AB BD. The Arrow release IS better, but I don't recall if it's got subs or not and I know for you, Mike, that that's a biggie.
        We can live without subs, but they certainly help my wife to follow stuff against accents, mumbling and the general shoddy sound recording of low budget horrors.

And I feared you might have said the Arrow BD is the best. What entirely puts that one offside for me is that the two extra discs (the extended and Argento cuts) are interlaced standards conversions, and that pisses me off when there are perfectly good progressive NTSC versions available. As you know, some standards conversions look like utter shit on a HDTV and having tried to watch two recently (Arrow's original Dawn DVD, and Umbrella's Zombi Holocaust disc) I can confidently say that a bad conversion is like watching VHS. Yep, the conversions on both those discs I just mentioned looked that bad on a HDTV...

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately there's no perfect solution on Blu-ray for the movie yet.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I think I have since hatched my "perfect" solution: Get the AB BD (which does have subs) and also snap up the standalone Argento cut! I was never a fan of the extended cut, the film is long enough as is... ;)

Comment

Anyways...zombies! Ever since Zack Snyder's remake of old George's horror "classic" rebooted an interest in them it seems zombies have been BIG business. Once, we used to get a new slasher film every other month, now...it's zombies! And some of the titles for some of these things are hilarious...

Apocalypse of the Dead*
              Big Tits Zombie (because "Big Tits Dragon" just sounded too boring)
              Cowboys & Zombies
              The Dead Undead (that makes them dead, right?)
              Flight of the Living Dead (because snakes weren't a big enough "threat")
              Ninjas vs. Zombies
              Siege of the Dead*
              Survival of the Dead (a moot title really, as they've already failed that goal by being dead)
              Zombie Apocalypse*
              The Zombie Diaries (because we all know Romero made "Diary of the Dead")
              Zombies of Mass Destruction* (nothing like a WMD reference to date a film!)
              Zombies of War*
              The Zombie Undead (so, they're living dead living dead...does that make them alive?)
              Zombies Zombies Zombies: Zombies vs. Strippers (when one "zombie" in the title isn't enough to tell you it's a zombie film)
              Zombie Wars*

* spot the military therme...

Comment

I'm jsut not excited by new zombie movies. The best stuff was from the 80s and no one can top it. It all looks the same, it all plays the same, and I'd rather watch latex and goo zombies than computer enhanced ones. And I hate cartoon blood, the shakey camera shit, and the choppy looking and fast moving action/editing. I'm a bit cynical this morning, but man that stuff just turns me right off.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
                  I'm just not excited by new zombie movies. The best stuff was from the 80s and no one can top it.
                  We agree on this one. Largely, the newer zombie flicks are all cheap-arse DTV shite. And unless it's done right, I hate DTV shite. Especially DTV zombie shite...

Comment

I just wanted to post this.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Any recommendations for non-sexual zombie flicks? My son really seems to enjoy them.
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Not a movie, but the ZOMBIES!!! boardgame is pretty fun.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2471/zombies

Comment

Free updated version of the originial Dawn of the Dead boardgame: http://www.witchmastercreations.com/dawn.php

Comment

That's not a movie either.

Comment

But at least it's a game of a movie without zombie sex.

Comment

Working...
                              X