Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

31 days of horror part 5: the Final Frontier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Alex K.

• Alex K.
    replied
    Maximum Overdrive is the hypest shit!

Leave a comment:

• Mark Tolch

• Mark Tolch
    replied
    Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]23453[/ATTACH]

TITLE-Maximum Overdrive
    SOURCE-Blu Ray R

I first saw this film not long after it hit theaters. I was already a Stephen King fan. But hadn't read the short story this film is based on. After seeing the film I got a ride to the local library to get the collection of short stories Trucks,that's the title of the story,was published in. And the entire next week in study Hal
    I read that collection.

Wow where do I start...this is the first film King directed. And IIRC the only film he had directed. Being a huge rock music fan King got ACDC to do the entire soundtrack to this movie. And it is a really good soundtrack.

Well enough rambling what is this film all about? A comet passes close to Earth. Somehow,this is never explained, this causes most machines to become sentient.

Our lead is Emilio Estevez. A guy on parole who works at a truck stop. And the story is all about a bunch of people now trapped at the truck stop. All because a fleet of 18 wheelers have surrounded the place.The main villain is a huge 18 wheeler with a giant Green Goblin face on the front grill.

It looks like our cast is trapped. ..until the owner of the truck stop reveals that the basement is full of heavy weapons. Machine guns,grenades and even a rocket launcher. Sure this revelation feels very deus ex machina. And it is. But this is a turn your brain off film. One that is best enjoyed by watching with a big group of friends who are all getting shitfaced.

Few bits of trivia. The voice of Lisa Simpson, Yeadrly Smith has a big part as a newlywed who gets trapped at the truck stop. A pre-fame Marla Maples has a small part. Also in the 90s this was remade. It was a USA NETWORK original film. The remake was titled Trucks and has Timothy Busfield as the lead.

The Blu Ray pictured at the top was given to me by CodyLL. A few times a year Cody mails me packages full of movies. He got the Blu Ray R of Maximum Overdrive at a con. And once he got the official Blu Ray release he gave me his old copy. If you look to the right I have a link to Cody's blog. Like myself Cody is a life long horror fan. And every day in October he is posting a review of a horror film. Go check his stuff out.

I have liked this film since I first saw it decades ago. And while it is nothing groundbreaking it is worth seeing. Maximum Overdrive gets a B-.
    This is, for nostalgia reasons and because of what I deem endless replay value, one of my favourite films.

Leave a comment:

• Alex K.

• Alex K.
    replied

2001 Maniacs. Totally average middle of the road film. It takes the formula behind the Hostel movies and smashes it with the original. Not that the original was high art or anything. It's watchable. The kind of watchable where you're tired, hungover, about to sleep, whatever and this comes on and it's something to watch. One of the actresses was clearly dubbed and there was some more questionable dubbing/ADR which made me think that it was shot in Romania or somewhere like that until I looked at the Wiki page. I guess she was just a shitty actress?

Midsommar. I don't know which version I watched. It could be the theatrical cut, the director's cut, the producer's cut, the final cut, the writer's cut, the chrome cut, the festival cut, the fan-edit, the extended cut, the Super Duper Cut, I don't know.

An interesting take on The Wicker Man. No spoilers because if you've seen the Wicker Man then you know where this is all heading. Has a unique dream-like tone. Reminding me, in a weird-way, of something like Koyanisqaatsi or a Herzog documentary how it lingers and holds on shots. I liked it more than Hereditary.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    And as I said earlier gonna post links to my buddy CodyLL reviews.

Cody's review of The Ghoul 1933

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-19%u00252B17.53.50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	586.1 KB
ID:	356800

TITLE-Maximum Overdrive
    SOURCE-Blu Ray R

I first saw this film not long after it hit theaters. I was already a Stephen King fan. But hadn't read the short story this film is based on. After seeing the film I got a ride to the local library to get the collection of short stories Trucks,that's the title of the story,was published in. And the entire next week in study Hal
    I read that collection.

Wow where do I start...this is the first film King directed. And IIRC the only film he had directed. Being a huge rock music fan King got ACDC to do the entire soundtrack to this movie. And it is a really good soundtrack.

Well enough rambling what is this film all about? A comet passes close to Earth. Somehow,this is never explained, this causes most machines to become sentient.

Our lead is Emilio Estevez. A guy on parole who works at a truck stop. And the story is all about a bunch of people now trapped at the truck stop. All because a fleet of 18 wheelers have surrounded the place.The main villain is a huge 18 wheeler with a giant Green Goblin face on the front grill.

It looks like our cast is trapped. ..until the owner of the truck stop reveals that the basement is full of heavy weapons. Machine guns,grenades and even a rocket launcher. Sure this revelation feels very deus ex machina. And it is. But this is a turn your brain off film. One that is best enjoyed by watching with a big group of friends who are all getting shitfaced.

Few bits of trivia. The voice of Lisa Simpson, Yeadrly Smith has a big part as a newlywed who gets trapped at the truck stop. A pre-fame Marla Maples has a small part. Also in the 90s this was remade. It was a USA NETWORK original film. The remake was titled Trucks and has Timothy Busfield as the lead.

The Blu Ray pictured at the top was given to me by CodyLL. A few times a year Cody mails me packages full of movies. He got the Blu Ray R of Maximum Overdrive at a con. And once he got the official Blu Ray release he gave me his old copy. If you look to the right I have a link to Cody's blog. Like myself Cody is a life long horror fan. And every day in October he is posting a review of a horror film. Go check his stuff out.

I have liked this film since I first saw it decades ago. And while it is nothing groundbreaking it is worth seeing. Maximum Overdrive gets a B-.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius

• Ignatius
    replied
    May as well join in again this year. Still got a fair few DVDs lying around that I need to watch to see if they're worth upgrading (or ditching). Realised recently that I've still never seen Fulci's THE PSYCHIC and THE BLACK CAT so I need to give those a spin.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
    Was STAGEFRIGHT ever cut? I remember renting the VHS back in the day and it had all of the gore.
    It was. Even some of the Blu and DVD releases are trimmed in spots compared to the fully uncut version. The cut version was still gory, but the uncut went further. Biggest difference I can spot right off is the drill-through-the-door kill. Cut, it goes through and there's a fair bit of blood, uncut the bit goes back and forth a bit and there's more blood.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    Stagefright is batshit in ways that make it really fun, and the gore in the uncut version is really well done. I still have a bootleg I made from the Japanese uncut Laserdisc
    Was STAGEFRIGHT ever cut? I remember renting the VHS back in the day and it had all of the gore.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    I grew up in the slasher fad so enjoy most of them. Watched The Mutilator for the first time last month off Shudder. Was fairly impressed by it.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
    I need to watch that on SHudder. Think I got my film for Halloween figured out.
    I don't really care for slasher movies, but Stagefright is batshit in ways that make it really fun, and the gore in the uncut version is really well done. I still have a bootleg I made from the Japanese uncut Laserdisc, and I might hook my VCR up to do a double feature of that and Braindead soon.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    I got my start tonight by checking that the version of Stagefright on Shudder is actually uncut, then I realized my subscription expires tonight and I'm not in that mood anyway.
    I need to watch that on SHudder. Think I got my film for Halloween figured out.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    I got my start tonight by checking that the version of Stagefright on Shudder is actually uncut, then I realized my subscription expires tonight and I'm not in that mood anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Got a buddy of mine that writes these long detailed reviews. But since he has no social media at all his reviews get 10 views at the most. If yall are cool with me doing it ,in October I will post links to his reviews each day. He is doing shlocky films for October. With the 31st film going to be one of the dirt worst vampire films I have ever seen. A film so bad everyone must see it. Been trying to get my buddy to join up here. But he had a horrible experience years ago on a forum and is leary of forums in general now.

Here's his review of Island of Lost Souls from last years October...http://codysfilmandtvblog.blogspot.c...ouls-1932.html

I will on the other hand just do my normal grab a film off the shelf/found streaming. Then watch and write maybe 3 paragraphs about it.
    Newt Cox
    Last edited by Newt Cox; 09-21-2019, 11:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Banks

• Gary Banks
    replied
    For me, every day can be Halloween as I watch mostly horror films. However, October is going to be a busy month for me so if I get to watch 15 movies, that will be an accomplishment.

Leave a comment:

• Alex K.

• Alex K.
    replied
    Originally posted by Jason C View Post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X