Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

31 days of horror part 5: the Final Frontier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    I totally failed the 31 days of horror, but I did manage to mark Dia de Los Muertos by watching Coco, and that was a pretty good movie.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Originally posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
    Which are your favorites, Newt? The ones I really like are PIG HUNT and INHUMAN RESOURCES. I also like FRAGILE, but I watched that one via the earlier Filmax Region 2 DVD that came out long before Fango's release. And I'm not sure if THE LAST HORROR MOVIE counts since it was a 2005 DVD, but I'm fond of that one as well, even if the gimmick works better as a VHS presentation (anyone seeing it knows what I mean).
    I remember Pig Hunt being good. Inhuman Resources I started but got distracted.

Leave a comment:

• Lorne Marshall

• Lorne Marshall
    replied
    Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
    Last year as part of my birthday gifts I was given all the films from the 2010s era Fangoria Presents line. I had never seen any of them.
    Which are your favorites, Newt? The ones I really like are PIG HUNT and INHUMAN RESOURCES. I also like FRAGILE, but I watched that one via the earlier Filmax Region 2 DVD that came out long before Fango's release. And I'm not sure if THE LAST HORROR MOVIE counts since it was a 2005 DVD, but I'm fond of that one as well, even if the gimmick works better as a VHS presentation (anyone seeing it knows what I mean).

Leave a comment:

• Gary Banks

• Gary Banks
    replied
    1-Guru, The Mad Monk 2
    2-House Of Evil 3
    3-Starship Troopers 7.5
    4-The Robot Vs The Aztec Mummy 4
    5-Tarantula 7
    6-Rodan 6.5
    7-Horror Hotel 10
    8-Castle Of Evil 7
    9-et Mourir de Plaisir 8.5
    10-Godzilla,KOTM(2019) 8
    11-Shin Godzilla 8
    12-Sinister Invasion 1
    13-Secret Of The Blue Room 8
    14-Evil Ep 1
    15-Evil Ep 2
    16-Thriller-Incredible Doktor Markesan
    17-Violent Midnight 6
    18-Pumpkinhead 5
    19-Carnival Of Souls 9
    20-Beast In The Cellar 6
    21-Deranged 7
    22-The Seventh Victim 9
    23-the Cured 0.5
    24-Ercole al centro della terra 9
    25-The Addiction 6
    26-The Ghost Of Frankenstein 7
    27-Castle Of Blood 10
    28-Hercules In The Haunted World 9
    29-Web Of The Spider 7.5
    30-The Living Skeleton 4
    31-The Leech Woman 7
    32-Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell 6
    33-The Raven(35) 5.5
    34-The Black Cat(34) 9.5
    35-Tell Tale Heart Radio Ep Bela Lugosi
    36-Santo Vs The Vampire Women 8
    37-Psychomania 6
    38-the Beast Of The Yellow Night 8

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    We watched Halloween last night, just to be different.

It's still rad.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius

• Ignatius
    replied
    Aaaaaand here's the last of 'em.

Day 29: DON'T BREATHE - I didn't much like Fede Alvarez's EVIL DEAD remake, but this is quite good. An interesting idea well executed. The dark basement sequence in particular is excellent - shot in such a way that you can always tell what's happening but evoking the feeling of being trapped in a pitch black space. Also never thought I'd see imagery reminiscent of a particular PINK FLAMINGOS scene in a major studio release.

Day 30: EDGE OF SANITY - It's a pity Anthony Perkins was stuck appearing in schlock like this during the last years of his life, but at least he knew when to ham things up! His twitchy, sweaty, pallid Mr. Hyde is tremendous fun to watch, even if the rest of the film can't quite live up to his example. Director Gérard Kikoí¯ne (who started out as an editor for Jess Franco!) throws in some nice stylistic touches and bizarrely populates his Victorian-era London with extremely glam prostitutes, but this is Perkins' film all the way.

Day 31: THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE - I can certainly see why this became a cult favourite. Not quite shoddy enough to be so-bad-it's-good, but filled with strange tonal swerves that catch you off balance. You just don't expect it to ricochet from a philosophically monologuing severed head to two strippers having a bitchy catfight. The emotional arc of the severed head from despair to psychic vengeance is genuinely interesting, though the film is far too incompetent to truly capitalise on it. I wish I'd had a whisky in hand for this one.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    I had planned on doing a bunch of stuff today. Had gathered a bunch of movies,Halloween Specials and Halloween episodes of various sitcoms...then I got sick 3 days ago. So I got one film watched

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beyond%u0025252Bthe%u0025252BGates.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	356969

TITLE-Beyond the Gates
    SOURCE-Hulu

Saw this had Barbara Crampton and the plot was about a VHS based board game so thought ok will watch this.

I had a bunch of stuff planned out to watch today. But I have been sick for almost a week. And really don't feel like watching much. Figured one movie would be ok.

After their father dies two brothers have to figure out what to do with their dad's old video store. In the store they find an old VHS board game.

Not long after that they start to play this VHS game and the hostess,Barbara Crampton,appears to be talking directly to them.

Fairly soon after this they get sucked into another dimension and it is hard to tell what is reality and what isn't.

The above all sounds like a neat idea for a horror film. I have gotten into VHS board games over the past 2 years. But to much of the films short run time is spent with people talking and a bit of character building.

And outside of the last 10 minutes or so nothing about this film,after you get past the kinda gimmicky VHS board game premise,stands out at all.

Beyond the Gates gets a C-.

And CodyLL covered Vampeggedon.

Back in 2012 or so I grabbed a Echo Bridge horror multipack....mostly so I would have Howling 4 on DVD. On that pack was Vampeggedon. Watched Vampeggedon and wow it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. So since then I have gotten quite a few people to watch it,it's on youtube,and everyone that has agrees it is a horrid film.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Tolch

• Mark Tolch
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott View Post
    What did you think? It isn't a horror movie. More like a sad winter tale. I think it's wonderful.
    I liked it. I think i would enjoy it more on a secind viewing; I kept waiting for the damn cats to show up haha.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    Originally posted by agent999 View Post
    I couldn't give a toss about Eli Roth, enjoyed a few of his movies. Plenty more people out there deserving a good kicking more than him, but I shouldn't get political.
    Whoever could you mean?! I like Eli Roth just fine. I don't like a lot of modern horror but all the ones of his I've seen have something to recommend them. But not Death Wish. Death Wish sucked.

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    I couldn't give a toss about Eli Roth, enjoyed a few of his movies. Plenty more people out there deserving a good kicking more than him, but I shouldn't get political.
    agent999
    Last edited by agent999; 10-31-2019, 04:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    I forgot he made the Death Wish remake.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
    I knew Eli wasn't liked but damn!!!!

So far I have enjoyed his movies. Sure his personality bugs me but oh well.
    I'm with you, Newt. HOSTEL was a blast at the theater; one of the best times I've ever had at the movies. The whole crowd was cheering, groaning and laughing throughout. HOSTEL II is an excellent film, Roth's best IMO. I really, really liked GREEN INFERNO as well; the dismemberment scene is still one of the most shocking I've seen in a recent horror film - I was stunned. It's a fun and intense movie. I didn't mind KNOCK KNOCK, either, but that was mostly because the girls were so hot. I liked CABIN FEVER when I saw it at the theater, but it hasn't held up for me - the premise doesn't really work. The only one of his films I really didn't like was his DEATH WISH remake - it didn't feel like one of his films. THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN ITS WALLS wasn't terrible for a kids movie, but it's nothing special.

I've really got no problem with Roth's films. At least he's not doing lame-ass Blumhouse movies.

Leave a comment:

• Alex K.

• Alex K.
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott View Post
    I also hate Eli Roth. He's a hack. And he's annoying.

We should beat him up.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    Intellectual Carrot

• Scott
    replied
    I love THE KEEP! Just watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I've watched it several times since then.

I also hate Eli Roth. He's a hack. And he's annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    Intellectual Carrot

• Scott
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE - Cause Scott said so.
    What did you think? It isn't a horror movie. More like a sad winter tale. I think it's wonderful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X