Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

31 days of horror part 5: the Final Frontier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TITLE-Madman
    SOURCE-The Last Drive on Shudder

In the early 80s there was 2 slasher films based on the Cropsy urban legend. One of these slashers has become a big cult favorite,mostly cause of the great FX work from Tom Savini. The other is the turd I am covering today...Madman!

I first heard of Madman in 1990. There was an exchange student from the UK at my high school. She was a huge horror fan. And after she discovered I was a big horror fan we would talk most days during lunch. I was telling her about The Burning and she asked if I had seen Madman. I decided I needed to see Madman. So the next Friday I went to 10 video stores. But none of them had the movie. The owner of Video Showboat said she could order me a copy. Sadly back then a copy was 60 bucks. I wasn't gonna spend that much for a film I had never seen.

Skip ahead to 2004. I was using bit torrent to download films. And found Madman on the Tracker 3 site. Since there was very few people seeding the file it took 5 days to download. I got home from a long day at work saw the download was done. Ran the file through a video converter and burnt the resulting file to a dvdr. The next day a few friends came over. We watched Madman...And it sucked. Crap acting ,crap FX And the film just wasn't good.

I had forgotten about Madman until 2010. I had discovered a horror podcast and one of the hosts is a huge Madman fan. Saw that Code Red was putting it out on DVD. Pre ordered it and the day it came in I rushed home from work to watch it. And again was disappointed . The previously mentioned podcast shit all over the Code Red release. It wasn't until years later that I learned why they shat all over this release. The podcast host considers himself a horror expert, when really his horror knowledge is limited to mostly mainstream horror films. And the host was made that Code Red didn't want to use the host on the dvd.

Madman is your standard summer camp slasher. If you have seen more than 2 summer camp slashers you know all the tropes. Really the only things about Madman that stands are the theme song,which is the best thing in this pile of shit. And Gaylon Ross,the female lead in the original Dawn of the Dead, appears in Madman. But she uses an alias. Ms Ross claims she did this because she was a SAG member and Madman wasn't a SAG film. I ,and many others think she used an alias cause she knew the movie was shit.

Honestly if Madman wasn't a part of The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs I wouldn't have bothered watching it again. But Joe Bob can usually make even the worst films worth seeing. In the case of Madman he didn't make this shitstain of a film worth watching. Madman gets a F.

And Cody watched http://codysfilmandtvblog.blogspot.c...doll-1936.html

Comment

It's an okay slasher with good atmosphere and a kickass theme.

This is why Joe Bob is the king.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Day 3: BACKCOUNTRY - A nice low-key 'lost in the woods' horror that demonstrates just how far good writing and character work can get you. The dedication to realistic plotting means there are fewer nail-biting sequences than you might hope for, but it absolutely achieves what it sets out to do. If you like your character drama served with a side dish of really upsetting animal attack sequences then BACKCOUNTRY is for you.

Day 4: ICED - The local release had one of the great eye-catching VHS covers. Turns out it's a pretty terrible film, but I found myself strangely charmed by it. The idea of a group of friends happily reuniting but scarred by a shared trauma is pushed a bit harder here than in similar slasher films, and though the writing and acting isn't good enough to pull it off I appreciated the intent. The script doesn't fall back onto the obvious slasher character archetypes either, which is a relief given that the action is largely confined to the final 20 minutes. Unfortunately it botches the ending - the killer's identity and motivation make no sense and the climax is really poorly shot. It's below-average, but at least it isn't obnoxious. I can see why some people really want a restored release; it was clearly shot on film but edited on video and the existing rips look smeary and awful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iced_(1988)_VHS_cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	356825

Comment

My viewing will come to a screeching halt for the weekend due to football. to make up for it:
          HORROR HOTEL- found this on TCM last night just about 2 minutes before show time. Hadn't planned on viewing it this month, but hey, here it is. Great film.

CASTLE OF EVIL-A reading of the will on a rain swept island leads to dumb fun with a killer robot out to kill the heirs.

ET MOURIR DE PLAISIR-The French version of Blood And Roses with a slightly different take on the ending. The hospital scene seemed to last only about 30 seconds. Wonderful film that needs a top notch release.

1-Guru, The Mad Monk 2
          2-House Of Evil 3
          3-Starship Troopers 7.5
          4-The Robot Vs The Aztec Mummy 4
          5-Tarantula 7
          6-Rodan 6.5
          7-Horror Hotel 10
          8-Castle Of Evil 7
          9-et Mourir de Plaisir 8.5
          "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

I LOVE Horror Hotel/City of the Dead!

Comment

TITLE-You're So Cool Brewster the story of Fright Night
              SOURCE-Shudder Streaming Service

I heard about this documentary a few years ago. Wanted to see it,but never saw it for sale anywhere. Got Shudder earlier this year and saw the documentary was on there. I have watched it 3 times now.

Fright Night was a Mid 80s vampire movie. William Ragsdale is a horror obsessed teen. And suspects his new neighbor is a vampire.

This documentary manages to get pretty much every person who is still alive and had a major part in the film. And there is a lot of info I had never heard before.

The documentary only really covers the original film. I would have liked more info on the sequel. And am still trying to forget that the horrid remake exists.

I do wish they had done a bit more on the Fright Night comic. A few years back I got a complete run of it. And was surprised at how good it is.

If you have Shudder or any other way of watching this documentary do it. It is a bit over 2 hours long. But flies by. You're So Cool Brewster gets a B.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                TITLE-You're So Cool Brewster the story of Fright Night
                SOURCE-Shudder Streaming Service

I heard about this documentary a few years ago. Wanted to see it,but never saw it for sale anywhere. Got Shudder earlier this year and saw the documentary was on there. I have watched it 3 times now.

Fright Night was a Mid 80s vampire movie. William Ragsdale is a horror obsessed teen. And suspects his new neighbor is a vampire.

This documentary manages to get pretty much every person who is still alive and had a major part in the film. And there is a lot of info I had never heard before.

The documentary only really covers the original film. I would have liked more info on the sequel. And am still trying to forget that the horrid remake exists.

I do wish they had done a bit more on the Fright Night comic. A few years back I got a complete run of it. And was surprised at how good it is.

If you have Shudder or any other way of watching this documentary do it. It is a bit over 2 hours long. But flies by. You're So Cool Brewster gets a B.

I had no idea this was on Shudder. I checked the site and nothing. I went through the movie list twice and nothing. Filtered by docu and nothing. Finally I just googled the movie + Shudder and finally found it. Their website is pretty badly organized.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                  I had no idea this was on Shudder. I checked the site and nothing. I went through the movie list twice and nothing. Filtered by docu and nothing. Finally I just googled the movie + Shudder and finally found it. Their website is pretty badly organized.
                  I have never used their website. Always connected thru the VRV or the SHudder app.

SHudder also has the Hellraiser documentary,the Pet Sementary one and I think Not Quite Hollywood. THeir newist Horror Noire Documentary is interesting. Rachel True seems to never age.

Comment

Day 5 Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer Airing on Last Drive In with Joe Bob

Figured everyone here has seen Henry many times. Nice that Joe Bob got a chance to show it. Saw Darcy the mail girl on Twitter hinting that there is sometime big gonna happen on Shudder Halloween night.

Comment

I couldn't find the Fright Night docu on Shudder. I found a page but it didn't load so it must be some weird streaming thing.

A re-watch of Return of the Living Dead 3. Still a really fun zombie film.

And Joker. Is it horror? Kind of. Close enough, it counts. Fucking AMAZING film. I loved it.

Comment

Seen some horror tonight,but it was a bad southern indie IPPV. Some of the worst I have ever seen.

Going to watch second episode of Creepshow later. Then try to squeeze in a film before I crash out.

Comment

Watched the second episode of Creepshow tonight, and the first two episodes of Evil.

3 for 3 on the shit pile.

Comment

My daughter was over, we watched last year's Halloween. I fell asleep in the same spot, but I'm going to attribute that to whiskey flu therapy.

Comment

I've watched the fit two episodes of Evil and it hasn't really done a lot for me. Not sure how much longer I'm staying with it.
                              "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Tried watching the Poughkeepsie Tapes and was horribly bored. Found footage done wrong. Then came The Barn (2016) another retro slasher homage that I missed. Pretty fun. Kids get killed. Gore. Blah blah blah. Fun slasher.

BTW it is on Tubi:

https://tubitv.com/movies/491603/the_barn?tracked=1

Comment

Working...
                                X