Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

31 days of horror part 5: the Final Frontier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-19%u00252B17.53.50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	586.1 KB
ID:	356800

TITLE-Maximum Overdrive
    SOURCE-Blu Ray R

I first saw this film not long after it hit theaters. I was already a Stephen King fan. But hadn't read the short story this film is based on. After seeing the film I got a ride to the local library to get the collection of short stories Trucks,that's the title of the story,was published in. And the entire next week in study Hal
    I read that collection.

Wow where do I start...this is the first film King directed. And IIRC the only film he had directed. Being a huge rock music fan King got ACDC to do the entire soundtrack to this movie. And it is a really good soundtrack.

Well enough rambling what is this film all about? A comet passes close to Earth. Somehow,this is never explained, this causes most machines to become sentient.

Our lead is Emilio Estevez. A guy on parole who works at a truck stop. And the story is all about a bunch of people now trapped at the truck stop. All because a fleet of 18 wheelers have surrounded the place.The main villain is a huge 18 wheeler with a giant Green Goblin face on the front grill.

It looks like our cast is trapped. ..until the owner of the truck stop reveals that the basement is full of heavy weapons. Machine guns,grenades and even a rocket launcher. Sure this revelation feels very deus ex machina. And it is. But this is a turn your brain off film. One that is best enjoyed by watching with a big group of friends who are all getting shitfaced.

Few bits of trivia. The voice of Lisa Simpson, Yeadrly Smith has a big part as a newlywed who gets trapped at the truck stop. A pre-fame Marla Maples has a small part. Also in the 90s this was remade. It was a USA NETWORK original film. The remake was titled Trucks and has Timothy Busfield as the lead.

The Blu Ray pictured at the top was given to me by CodyLL. A few times a year Cody mails me packages full of movies. He got the Blu Ray R of Maximum Overdrive at a con. And once he got the official Blu Ray release he gave me his old copy. If you look to the right I have a link to Cody's blog. Like myself Cody is a life long horror fan. And every day in October he is posting a review of a horror film. Go check his stuff out.

I have liked this film since I first saw it decades ago. And while it is nothing groundbreaking it is worth seeing. Maximum Overdrive gets a B-.

Comment

And as I said earlier gonna post links to my buddy CodyLL reviews.

Cody's review of The Ghoul 1933

Comment

2001 Maniacs. Totally average middle of the road film. It takes the formula behind the Hostel movies and smashes it with the original. Not that the original was high art or anything. It's watchable. The kind of watchable where you're tired, hungover, about to sleep, whatever and this comes on and it's something to watch. One of the actresses was clearly dubbed and there was some more questionable dubbing/ADR which made me think that it was shot in Romania or somewhere like that until I looked at the Wiki page. I guess she was just a shitty actress?

Midsommar. I don't know which version I watched. It could be the theatrical cut, the director's cut, the producer's cut, the final cut, the writer's cut, the chrome cut, the festival cut, the fan-edit, the extended cut, the Super Duper Cut, I don't know.

An interesting take on The Wicker Man. No spoilers because if you've seen the Wicker Man then you know where this is all heading. Has a unique dream-like tone. Reminding me, in a weird-way, of something like Koyanisqaatsi or a Herzog documentary how it lingers and holds on shots. I liked it more than Hereditary.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]23453[/ATTACH]

TITLE-Maximum Overdrive
          SOURCE-Blu Ray R

I first saw this film not long after it hit theaters. I was already a Stephen King fan. But hadn't read the short story this film is based on. After seeing the film I got a ride to the local library to get the collection of short stories Trucks,that's the title of the story,was published in. And the entire next week in study Hal
          I read that collection.

Wow where do I start...this is the first film King directed. And IIRC the only film he had directed. Being a huge rock music fan King got ACDC to do the entire soundtrack to this movie. And it is a really good soundtrack.

Well enough rambling what is this film all about? A comet passes close to Earth. Somehow,this is never explained, this causes most machines to become sentient.

Our lead is Emilio Estevez. A guy on parole who works at a truck stop. And the story is all about a bunch of people now trapped at the truck stop. All because a fleet of 18 wheelers have surrounded the place.The main villain is a huge 18 wheeler with a giant Green Goblin face on the front grill.

It looks like our cast is trapped. ..until the owner of the truck stop reveals that the basement is full of heavy weapons. Machine guns,grenades and even a rocket launcher. Sure this revelation feels very deus ex machina. And it is. But this is a turn your brain off film. One that is best enjoyed by watching with a big group of friends who are all getting shitfaced.

Few bits of trivia. The voice of Lisa Simpson, Yeadrly Smith has a big part as a newlywed who gets trapped at the truck stop. A pre-fame Marla Maples has a small part. Also in the 90s this was remade. It was a USA NETWORK original film. The remake was titled Trucks and has Timothy Busfield as the lead.

The Blu Ray pictured at the top was given to me by CodyLL. A few times a year Cody mails me packages full of movies. He got the Blu Ray R of Maximum Overdrive at a con. And once he got the official Blu Ray release he gave me his old copy. If you look to the right I have a link to Cody's blog. Like myself Cody is a life long horror fan. And every day in October he is posting a review of a horror film. Go check his stuff out.

I have liked this film since I first saw it decades ago. And while it is nothing groundbreaking it is worth seeing. Maximum Overdrive gets a B-.
          This is, for nostalgia reasons and because of what I deem endless replay value, one of my favourite films.

Comment

Maximum Overdrive is the hypest shit!

Comment

The more I think about it the more Midsummar sticks with me. It could be a modern classic. I also realize just how similar it is in terms of plot with 2001 Maniacs which I assure was an accident on my part. A fine example of how a gifted filmmaker can attack the same idea in different ways.

Comment

Decided to start this off with a little pain. Well, actually a lot of pain because it frickin' hurt to sit through these two movies.

1-GURU, THE MAD MONK-Andy's disdain for the Church and its authority figures is pretty obvious here. The usual Milligan touches are here: a hunchback who eventually gets crucified, knitting needles into the eyeballs and most of the actors emoting to passer byes walking down the street. The hero looks and almost sounds like Epstein the Sweathog from Welcome Back Kotter. It only runs a bit over 55 minutes, but you will be fighting the urge to bail out after 30.

2-HOUSE OF EVIL aka Dance Of Death aka Sonata Macabre-This is somewhat better than the above film. One of the four Karloff Mexican quickies filmed at the end of his life. Karloff is in this one for the first 25 minutes and the last ten. The film and you, the viewer, suffers during his absence. The old reading of the will while the old geezer still lives, whoops he's dead. Wait, no he isn't. Aw fuck it just let me out of this house. Of the four, this may be the worst. At least until I get around to watching Sinister Invasion......
                "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Day 02 The Burbs

Watched the Burbs for the first time in a bit off Shudder. Not a huge Tom Hanks fan but love this movie.

Day 2 of Codyll's thing Mark of the Vampire

Comment

I quite like GURU, THE MAD MONK, but it does suffer from being shot on 35mm since Andy couldn't wildly swirl the camera around. It's certainly not up there with his best work.

Day 1: THE PSYCHIC - Not top-tier Fulci but still damn good. I managed to guess both the ending and the big mid-story reversal early on but the whole film is so well constructed I don't think it impeded my enjoyment too much. There are a few too many dramatic zooms into Jennifer O'Neil's eyes but otherwise Fulci does a good job slowly ratcheting up the tension.

Day 2: BONE TOMAHAWK - I had heard some good things about this one, but I quickly took a severe dislike to it. There's something strangely amateurish about the whole affair - from the script that traffics in affected Deadwood-style dialogue but lacks any particular character or humanity, to the flat digital photography that finds shockingly few evocative uses for its widescreen framing. Perhaps worst is the attempt to mimic the ponderous, contemplative tone of the best westerns; something that really doesn't work when neither the characters nor the film have anything to contemplate. There's absolutely no reason for a film as simplistic as this to be two hours long, and there's at least a half-hour of footage that could be easily trimmed out.

Man, even the worst Italian cannibal films tried to hint at some greater thematic ideas (who are the real savages? etc etc) but BONE TOMAHAWK stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the possibility of subtext. Everything is text. What you see is what you get. Which isn't a problem if a film is going to be fun and not waste my fucking time. BONE TOMAHAWK is just slow, unpleasant, and hollow. It can fuck right off.

Comment

My Halloween horror "film" for today was this excellent documentary; "Hammer - the Studio That Dripped Blood" (BBC 1987). The YouTube version is what looks like a 3rd generation tv rip. Has this ever been released as an extra feature on dvd or bluray?

2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

The carnage continues.
                        Starship Troopers- Realized that I have never sat down and watched this from start to finish. More satirical than I expected, yet a lot of fun with nasty big bug killers.

The Robot Vs The Aztec Mummy-Probably the best of the three. A painless way to get the gist of the entire trilogy in a little over an hour. The Bat chews up the scenery and a walking tin can takes on the Aztec Mummy. What's not to like?

Comment

I guess I'll pitch in with the original GODZILLA. If I've seen it, I dont remember it. All of my Godzilla memories are in colour

Comment

Had a couple of false starts. Started with Red Room 2 which I found boring. Then I switched it up to Wrong Turn 5 which was so lazily made and obvious that the filmmakers didn't give a shit so why should I? Then, I watched Wrong Turn 4.

Wrong Turn is an interesting slasher franchise in that the first is utterly mediocre. Saved only by moments of great gore. All of the sequels, and all of which are direct to video, are better aside from the already mentioned part 5. Part 2 is a very fun slasher and required viewing for all fans of Henry Rollins. Part 6 I enjoyed quite a bit and 4 I would say is easily the 2nd best in the franchise. It changes the setting to a snowbound abandoned sanitarium and kind of sort of explains the origins of the killers of these movies but only kind of. Gory set pieces, self-awareness that's not so smug, directed with a sense of contagious joy. Recommended for slasher fans.
                            Alex K.
                            Last edited by Alex K.; 10-03-2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Night 1 - the first Tennent episode of Doctor Who. It has alien monster things in it so I'm saying it counts.

Night 2 - Killer Crocodile.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Tarantula-I like this movie better than Them. I think this moves very well and has a nice icky atmosphere. The bd didn't seem to be that much of a jump PQ wise over the dvd.

1-Guru, The Mad Monk 2
                                2-House Of Evil 3
                                3-Starship Troopers 7.5
                                4-The Robot Vs The Aztec Mummy 4
                                5-Tarantula 7

Comment

Working...
                                X