Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

31 days of horror part 5: the Final Frontier.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
    TITLE-Knock Knock
    SOURCE-Lionsgate Blu Ray

Yea I know this is a remake of of the mid 70s film Death Game AKA The Seducers. And Colleen Camp comes back for this remake. ANd yea I have seen piles of reviews of this film online. Calling it a piece of shit.

Back in late Oct 2015 I was sent a DVD rip of this film. Tossed it in planning on doing some editing while watching it. And it caught my attention enough I didn't anything edited.

Keanu Reeves is married with 2 young kids. His wife and kids leave for the weekend. And he settles in to do some work. While listening to some records Keanu fires up a bowl and hears a knock at the front door.

That's Ana De Armas on the left and Lorenza Izzo on the right
    At the door is two wet and cold young women. Played by Ana De Armas,best known for her role in Blade Runner 2040,and Lorenza Izzo,the ex MS Eli Roth and best known for her lead part in The Green Inferno. They are lost and need to borrow a phone to call someone. Reeves lets them in and well shit goes downhill from there.

Reeves tries to be nice and helpful. Calls them a Uber,which will be there in 45 minutes. Throws their wet clothes into the dryer. And even shows off his DJ skills.

Knock Knock then morphs into a 90s era ERotic Thriller,I kept waiting on Shannon Tweed to show up. The ladies are in the bathroom,Reeves comes in to bring them their clothes and let them know the Uber is there. They seduce him. And after a long night of sex Reeves passes out.

The next morning Keanu wakes up to discover the two women are still there and made a mess of his kitchen. He is gonna call the cops to get them to leave when the women reveal that they are underage.

Basically Knock Knock is a home invasion movie mixed with a 90s SKINAMAX erotic thriller.

Sure you can figure out the ending. And the womens' reasoning for doing what they are doing is kinda bunk. But there is so much right with the film. The soundtrack and score are good. Love him or hate him Eli Roth knows how to frame a shot. And does some neat things with light in Knock Knock. And yea it helps that Ana and Lorenza as stunning beauties.

This is pretty much a 3 person film. Would be neat to see it adapted to a stage play.

Ana De Armas is pretty good in her role. I had never seen her before this film. She has the right look for the part she is playing. In that looking at her you can't tell how old she is. She could be mid 20s but then she could be 15. The only real flaw in Ana in this film is sometimes cause of her accent I had trouble understanding what she was saying. IIRC Ms Armas is from Cuba. So when speaking English she does have a bit of an accent. But it isn't a big flaw. And the film has well done subtitles.

Lorenza Izzo is gonna be a big star. After seeing her in this and Green Inferno I saw proof that she is a really talented actress. Able to do comedy,drama and horror. Plus she has this great sense of timing. I hope her divorce from Eli Roth doesn't cause her to not get as many roles in English movies.

Keanu Reeves is an actor that has a very limited role he can play. In that role he is damn good. But try to put him into a role that isn'tin that limited range and you get shit like Bram Stroker's Dracula. Thankfully Reeves is great in this. But then he is just playing a older stoner music buff. Which from what I have read is really who Reeves is.

The Blu ray of course has a audio commentary. Which is fairly entertaining. You get Roth,his then wife and Colleen Camp on it. There is a handful of deleted scenes,and you can see why they weren't included in the film cause they aren't good.Plus a halfway decent making of the film.

Knock Knock gets a B.

And CodyLL covered They from 2002

Eli Roth is a hack fraud. I didn't realize he got divorced in 2018. Now it makes sense why he did those work for hire movies to pay off that divorce.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Crawl. Raimi's name on the poster suckered me in but, yeah, it's not great is it? Nice alligators but you do lose some dramatic tension when the dog is comfortably the most intelligent character in the movie.Why don't they just rip though the floor above them when they are stuck in the crawlspace? Once out of the crawlspace why not head upstairs rather than out? Why- well I could go on and on. The outdoor, underwater set was neat.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        I think because it really, really appears to be an episode of Doctor Who but Doctor Whos not in it. I kept waiting for him to show up. He didn't.
        You're absolutely right, though The Keep had better writing than the entire Steven Moffat era of Doctor Who.

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
        Eli Roth is a hack fraud.
        Eli Roth is one of the few people in this world I genuinely despise. I hope he gets waterboarded with his own piss.

Comment

• 1-Guru, The Mad Monk 2
          2-House Of Evil 3
          3-Starship Troopers 7.5
          4-The Robot Vs The Aztec Mummy 4
          5-Tarantula 7
          6-Rodan 6.5
          7-Horror Hotel 10
          8-Castle Of Evil 7
          9-et Mourir de Plaisir 8.5
          10-Godzilla,KOTM(2019) 8
          11-Shin Godzilla 8
          12-Sinister Invasion 1
          13-Secret Of The Blue Room 8
          14-Evil Ep 1
          15-Evil Ep 2
          16-Thriller-Incredible Doktor Markesan
          17-Violent Midnight 6
          18-Pumpkinhead 5
          19-Carnival Of Souls 9
          20-Beast In The Cellar 6
          21-Deranged 7
          22-The Seventh Victim 9
          23-the Cured 0.5
          24-Ercole al centro della terra 9
          25-The Addiction 6
          26-The Ghost Of Frankenstein 7
          27-Castle Of Blood 10
          28-Hercules In The Haunted World 9
          29-Web Of The Spider 7.5
          30-The Living Skeleton 4
          31-The Leech Woman 7
          32-Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell 6
          33-The Raven(35) 5.5
          "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• I knew Eli wasn't liked but damn!!!!

So far I have enjoyed his movies. Sure his personality bugs me but oh well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BMTg4MTkxNzkwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDA2NjA2MDE%u00252540._V1_UY268_CR9%u0025252C0%u0025252C182%.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	356962

TITLE-Sin Reaper
            SOURCE-Fangoria Presents DVD

Last year as part of my birthday gifts I was given all the films from the 2010s era Fangoria Presents line. I had never seen any of them. But had seen some films Fangoria released in the late 90s,and those films were crap. Boring with bad FX work and bad acting.

Sin Reaper has a great cover...that is the art I used at the top. Sadly the cover is the best thing about the film. Here is the non-region 1 dvd cover...

Name:	SinReaper-2012-Movie-1.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	356963
            Yea it looks so generic.

Samantha has been having horrific nightmares for years now. So her therapist,Lance Henrikson in a tiny role,tells he to goto Germany. Which is the location of most of her dreams.Once she arrives the killer from her dream shows up and starts killing.

Wow that isn't a bad idea. But it is so horribly executed that the film suffers from it. The main actress is suppose to be from the USA but she has a super thick Eastern Europeon accent. Which makes it even odder when another person in the film makes it a point to comment on her accent,"Oh Good,you're American!" WTF

The kills are crap. Like really you got a great costume and weapon for the killer. Looks like something off an 80s era Heavy Metal album cover.

It appears that in other regions this film was released in 3d. But for some reason Fango didn't bother putting out the 3d version in region 1.

It's odd Fango was quick to give shitty movies a bad review. But everything they have "presented" filmwise has been total shit. So far only the Fangoria Blood Drive series being worth watching.

So avoid this horrible film. Even if it is cheap avoid it. Sure the cover is great. But this is just like those oversized gory as fuck big box vhs releases from when I was a kid. The cover looked amazing then you watched the film and it was a total pile of shit.

Sin Reaper gets a F-.

CodyLL covers the horrible Cursed from Wes Craven

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
              CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE - Cause Scott said so.
              What did you think? It isn't a horror movie. More like a sad winter tale. I think it's wonderful.
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• I love THE KEEP! Just watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I've watched it several times since then.

I also hate Eli Roth. He's a hack. And he's annoying.
                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  I also hate Eli Roth. He's a hack. And he's annoying.

We should beat him up.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                    I knew Eli wasn't liked but damn!!!!

So far I have enjoyed his movies. Sure his personality bugs me but oh well.
                    I'm with you, Newt. HOSTEL was a blast at the theater; one of the best times I've ever had at the movies. The whole crowd was cheering, groaning and laughing throughout. HOSTEL II is an excellent film, Roth's best IMO. I really, really liked GREEN INFERNO as well; the dismemberment scene is still one of the most shocking I've seen in a recent horror film - I was stunned. It's a fun and intense movie. I didn't mind KNOCK KNOCK, either, but that was mostly because the girls were so hot. I liked CABIN FEVER when I saw it at the theater, but it hasn't held up for me - the premise doesn't really work. The only one of his films I really didn't like was his DEATH WISH remake - it didn't feel like one of his films. THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN ITS WALLS wasn't terrible for a kids movie, but it's nothing special.

I've really got no problem with Roth's films. At least he's not doing lame-ass Blumhouse movies.
                    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• I forgot he made the Death Wish remake.

Comment

• I couldn't give a toss about Eli Roth, enjoyed a few of his movies. Plenty more people out there deserving a good kicking more than him, but I shouldn't get political.
                        agent999
                        Last edited by agent999; 10-31-2019, 04:32 AM.
                        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                          I couldn't give a toss about Eli Roth, enjoyed a few of his movies. Plenty more people out there deserving a good kicking more than him, but I shouldn't get political.
                          Whoever could you mean?! I like Eli Roth just fine. I don't like a lot of modern horror but all the ones of his I've seen have something to recommend them. But not Death Wish. Death Wish sucked.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            What did you think? It isn't a horror movie. More like a sad winter tale. I think it's wonderful.
                            I liked it. I think i would enjoy it more on a secind viewing; I kept waiting for the damn cats to show up haha.

Comment

• I had planned on doing a bunch of stuff today. Had gathered a bunch of movies,Halloween Specials and Halloween episodes of various sitcoms...then I got sick 3 days ago. So I got one film watched

Name:	Beyond%u0025252Bthe%u0025252BGates.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	356969

TITLE-Beyond the Gates
                              SOURCE-Hulu

Saw this had Barbara Crampton and the plot was about a VHS based board game so thought ok will watch this.

I had a bunch of stuff planned out to watch today. But I have been sick for almost a week. And really don't feel like watching much. Figured one movie would be ok.

After their father dies two brothers have to figure out what to do with their dad's old video store. In the store they find an old VHS board game.

Not long after that they start to play this VHS game and the hostess,Barbara Crampton,appears to be talking directly to them.

Fairly soon after this they get sucked into another dimension and it is hard to tell what is reality and what isn't.

The above all sounds like a neat idea for a horror film. I have gotten into VHS board games over the past 2 years. But to much of the films short run time is spent with people talking and a bit of character building.

And outside of the last 10 minutes or so nothing about this film,after you get past the kinda gimmicky VHS board game premise,stands out at all.

Beyond the Gates gets a C-.

And CodyLL covered Vampeggedon.

Back in 2012 or so I grabbed a Echo Bridge horror multipack....mostly so I would have Howling 4 on DVD. On that pack was Vampeggedon. Watched Vampeggedon and wow it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. So since then I have gotten quite a few people to watch it,it's on youtube,and everyone that has agrees it is a horrid film.

Comment

• Aaaaaand here's the last of 'em.

Day 29: DON'T BREATHE - I didn't much like Fede Alvarez's EVIL DEAD remake, but this is quite good. An interesting idea well executed. The dark basement sequence in particular is excellent - shot in such a way that you can always tell what's happening but evoking the feeling of being trapped in a pitch black space. Also never thought I'd see imagery reminiscent of a particular PINK FLAMINGOS scene in a major studio release.

Day 30: EDGE OF SANITY - It's a pity Anthony Perkins was stuck appearing in schlock like this during the last years of his life, but at least he knew when to ham things up! His twitchy, sweaty, pallid Mr. Hyde is tremendous fun to watch, even if the rest of the film can't quite live up to his example. Director Gérard Kikoí¯ne (who started out as an editor for Jess Franco!) throws in some nice stylistic touches and bizarrely populates his Victorian-era London with extremely glam prostitutes, but this is Perkins' film all the way.

Day 31: THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE - I can certainly see why this became a cult favourite. Not quite shoddy enough to be so-bad-it's-good, but filled with strange tonal swerves that catch you off balance. You just don't expect it to ricochet from a philosophically monologuing severed head to two strippers having a bitchy catfight. The emotional arc of the severed head from despair to psychic vengeance is genuinely interesting, though the film is far too incompetent to truly capitalise on it. I wish I'd had a whisky in hand for this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X