Retro Slasher movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Slasher movies

A little different from the Slasher thread because this is focusing on movies trying to be a throwback to the Slasher movies of old. This includes setting the movie in the 70's or 80's and having an oldschool VHS or grainy 16 MM look.

This may have been one of the first of this wave of sub-genre to come out but it was the first one I had watched. Pretty good if a little slow and lacking in gore.

I made a thread for this one and gushed over it. I fucking love this one and it's a fucking shame it's 51 minutes and no one talks about this one.

This is the most famous one and IMHO is easily the best Slasher comedy -of which there have been many attempts at this- sorry, not a big fan of Scary Movie 1 or Club Dread. Also, the spear gun through the dick kill is legit one of the best kills I've ever seen in a slasher.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I like RETURN TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP, even though it wasn't made by people our age that grew up on slashers and it's a sequel to an iconic one by the same director. I think it counts because it's definitely in the style of a throwback, with a knowingly campy tone.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Another so-so one is CRINOLINE HEAD (1996). It's more edgy than your average slasher parody (with gay characters, poop jokes etc.) and a bit more clever than usual. I have to admit that I liked it more in my early 20's (when I was closer to the age of the characters) than I did when I rewatched it several years ago. It may be the fact that I just don't relate to that age group anymore and I often find the teens in these retro slashers to be unbearably annoying.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

The few retro slashers I've seen have been absolute garbage. Dreck like LOST AFTER DARK and THE SLEEPER (both trying painfully hard to be 80s retro) actually pretty much put me off trying any others. I do like many modern slashers, but they don't make the mistake of trying to recapture a long gone era.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I lose interest in a movie if I find out it's centered around teens or college kids. Scooby Doo movies.
          Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
            The few retro slashers I've seen have been absolute garbage. Dreck like LOST AFTER DARK and THE SLEEPER (both trying painfully hard to be 80s retro) actually pretty much put me off trying any others. I do like many modern slashers, but they don't make the mistake of trying to recapture a long gone era.
            Watch the one's I recommended. Especially Lake Nowhere.

Fuck Scooby Doo (not literally but you know what I mean, I don't need to see that Linda Lovelace stag loop).
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I'm a big fan of 80's slashers
              MY BLOODY VALENTINE - uncut
              THE PROWLER
              THE BURNING
              NIGHTMARE
              THE TOOLBOX MURDERS
              MOTHER'S DAY
              FRIDAY THE 13TH was ok but all sequels except JASON GOES TO HELL are all cut

Comment

Does The Ranger count as a Retro Slasher?
                Watched it the other day and enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...
                X