X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbine Releasing The Frighteners

"15 YEARS TURBINEWe celebrate with another 15 titles on 15 more days
    Day 29 - "The Frighteners"

Today, 23 years ago, THE FRIGHTENERS by Peter Jackson with Michael J. Fox in the leading role opened in American cinemas.
    We are collaborating with Universal Pictures Germany and in coordination with Peter Jackson on a new release, which includes the Director's Cut for the first time with a full German language version. For this we have already dubbed the missing scenes.

We would like to call you a specific release date, but the 4K-scan needs something else, because the movie really deserves it. And in order for the ghosts to haunt the home cinema as well, the edition will be refined with sound in Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D.

So, after 30 days the game really comes to an end tomorrow. No further extension."

Source.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'll get this if they do a UHD (which they're doing for some titles), and it isn't a stupid overpriced box set.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Coming soon from Arrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ErdqMKAUUAAOciK.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	359325
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Fuck.

As badly as Universal fucks up their own product, at least they don't charge $80 a movie in Canada, and they tend to get the framing correct.
        Darcy Parker
        Last edited by Darcy Parker; 11-18-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
          Fuck.

As badly as Universal fucks up their own product, at least they don't charge $80 a movie in Canada, and they tend tog eat the framing correct.
          Arrow is for sure not cost-effective up here. Shame, I really like this film, but the old-ass blu-ray will do me just fine. Watched the film recently, it holds up really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
            Arrow is for sure not cost-effective up here. Shame, I really like this film, but the old-ass blu-ray will do me just fine. Watched the film recently, it holds up really well.
            Yeah, I have no complaints with my Director's Cut Blu from Universal.
            Darcy Parker
            Last edited by Darcy Parker; 11-18-2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I rewatched the film a few months ago. I do like it but it's an odd beast. A gunman running around a hospital shooting as many people as he can feels uncomfortably real world familiar in what is other wise a fun, dopey, Michael J Fox film. Those two angles sit uneasily next to each other. It is a very enjoyable watch despite that. Or is it because of that?
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                I rewatched the film a few months ago. I do like it but it's an odd beast. A gunman running around a hospital shooting as many people as he can feels uncomfortably real world familiar in what is other wise a fun, dopey, Michael J Fox film. Those two angles sit uneasily next to each other. It is a very enjoyable watch despite that. Or is it because of that?
                I had never seen it before the mid-2000's because I thought it was a dopey Michael J. Fox film, like Disney's Haunted Mansion or something. Combine Jake Busey and the actress who plays his girlfriend, and you have some genuinely dark material, with two actors more than capable of bringing discomfort to the screen. Jam that up against bumbling Michael J. Fox and a bunch of ghosts who initially appear as comic relief, and you have a recipe for absolute disaster....which somehow works wonderfully.

So, yes. I agree. :)

Comment

is arrow a mainstream label now? seems like they completely abandoned their roots (bava, fulci, argento, sonny chiba, giallo, spaghetti-westerns, cult horror, exploitation...)
                  who needs robocop, pitch black, crimson peak, fear and loathing and the (fucking) game with michael douglas?
                  killer must kill again
                  Last edited by killer must kill again; 01-15-2021, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                    is arrow a mainstream label now? seems like they completely abandoned their roots (bava, fulci, argento, sonny chiba, giallo, spaghetti-westerns, cult horror, exploitation...)
                    who needs robocop, pitch black, crimson peak, fear and loathing and the (fucking) game with michael douglas?
                    They're certainly releasing a lot of stuff that I don't care about these days. They lost a lot of cash a couple of years ago on theatrical releases of new films that few people cared about, so my theory is they're going more mainstream. Once most of the classic genre films are already out there they probably don't want to fight over the scraps.

Having said that, I really like The Frighteners.
                    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I get that they have to generate money to pay for their restorations of obscurer movies, but who is going to pay limited edition prices for stuff like inglourious basterds, when they're countless other regular editions for sale? doesn't make any sense.

biggest wtf?! is why they keep on messing up their own projects:
                      - took them an eternity to release AHP Vol. 2. the momentum was long gone and the selection of movies was terrible. my guess is this line is dead forever.
                      - what happened to the rest of the bava movies?
                      - still waiting for argentos opera and the final part of the animal trilogy + the countless other gialli they supposed to have
                      - everybody expected them to update the gates of hell trilogy after city of the living dead -nope.
                      - I was almost certain they would release more elio petri after l'assassino and property -another dead end.

I know most of these were rumours and nothing was officially confirmed by them, but still...

Comment

Details on the Turbine release.

https://turbine-shop.de/detail/index/sArticle/32550

https://turbine-shop.de/detail/index/sArticle/32551

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh1oU86WQAEaKXu.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	404468
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I would bet this will be cheaper for me to import from Germany than it would be for me to get the Arrow release here in Canada.

And if it is, BOUGHT!!!

Comment

SIX......discs????

Comment

SIX......discs????
                              Looks like it includes standard Bus for both cuts, and probably 2 discs of extras, and One 4K disc for each of the two cuts, if it is done the same way Turbine usually does these things.

Comment

Working...
                              X