X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Dick Ringeisen

• Dick Ringeisen
    replied
    Yeah, JoeS, It could have even done with a 90 minutes running time.

Still, this guy, there are some thing sI liked about Hereditary, and some things I like about Midsommer, but, they just don't fit together to make good films, at least in my taste. It's like, all the puzzle pieces are there, but some are missing, or in the wrong place. I am curious to see how he progresses, with other films.

So, yeah, Wickerman is of course, superior. But, though it's been a while, even though Midsommar is a long movie, I think i might rather watch this, than The Wicker Tree, again.

I hope this guy improves more with his films, as it seems he has a really good film, somewhere in his head, I feel he could put one together. Midsommar, just ain't it. Way too much of a padded feel. If it were under 2 hours, and ran a bit tighter, I may be a bit more kind to it.

it was not a total loss of 150+ minutes. After the movie, I stopped in a nearby Dollar Store, since a lot of them have been receiving dumps of DVD and Blu-rays the past month. I've found some decent stuff lately. Anyway, I dug through some stuff, nothing really stood out, or I already owned it. Then I saw a Blu-ray for, "Super", I was about to put it back down, then I looked at the back of the Blu-ray case and I saw it was rated R. It's some Super-hero spoof that James Gunn was involved in. hmmm, I've never seen it. Also, probably one of the better movies I saw this year at the theatre, was Brightburn, James Gunn produced that, or co-wrote it, I forget. So, I bought Super from the $1 dollar store. I wonder if I will like that more than Midsommar....

Leave a comment:

• JoeS

• JoeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Ringeisen View Post
    Well, I saw Midsommer.

In an earlier post here, I really questioned how the nearly 2 1/2 hour time would be filled. It started out OK, Midsommer does seem to be a bit more grounded in reality, than Hereditary. Hereditary seemed to take place in some other world, where people are really extra weird and stupid.

So, my big complaint about Midsommer is, I felt it could have easily been 30 minutes shorter. Maybe even 45 minutes shorter. A lot of stuff gets dragged out..
    So, if it were, say? 94-99 minutes? You mean like it's obvious model? The superior original THE WICKER MAN?! ;);););)

More to say later, but, MIDSOMMER is more than a little influenced by the Hardy 1973 classic. Sure, there are enough diversions to allow it to stand a bit on its own. But, dragged out it is. It's also more than a little unintentionally humorous at times.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Ringeisen

• Dick Ringeisen
    replied
    Well, I saw Midsommer.

In an earlier post here, I really questioned how the nearly 2 1/2 hour time would be filled. It started out OK, Midsommer does seem to be a bit more grounded in reality, than Hereditary. Hereditary seemed to take place in some other world, where people are really extra weird and stupid.

So, my big complaint about Midsommer is, I felt it could have easily been 30 minutes shorter. Maybe even 45 minutes shorter. A lot of stuff gets dragged out.

I wouldn't say I liked Midsommer, or that I disliked it. I just feel a bit indifferent about it. It's not a movie I'll probably visit again, since nothing too much happens, and it feels so padded.

There is only 1 particularly gruesome scene. Other than that, it's some bush, and schlong schlinging around. People tripping. Screaming.

I'm still curious what else this director does int he future, since his movies have something going for them, but, they still need work. Midsommer I feel would have worked better if it were a bit tighter, trimmed 30-45min off.

Anyway, if you liked Hereditary, give this a go. I think this is a slight improvement over Hereditary.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Originally posted by agent999 View Post
    I stumbled across Hereditary on Prime last week. Hard to empathise with the characters as I thought they were all insane and probably shouldn't be allowed to further pollute the gene pool. Okay, Gabriel Byrne was sane but a complete wet fart. Films that make me think like a eugenicist make me uncomfortable. It kept reminding me of The Witch, only not as good. Still, it was interesting enough to make me want to see this. Eventually.
    Yeah, but that telephone post scene, man!

Leave a comment:

• Lorne Marshall

• Lorne Marshall
    replied
    I'm always up for an A24 film. The ones that I've seen and enjoyed are UNDER THE SKIN, LIFE AFTER BETH, THE CAPTIVE, EX MACHINA, DARK PLACES, GREEN ROOM, THE LOBSTER, THE BLACKCOAT'S DAUGHTER, and A GHOST STORY. Their offerings are always intriguing, to varying degrees, even the ones I have found somewhat disappointing (ENEMY, THE WITCH, EQUALS, THE MONSTER, IT COMES AT NIGHT, HEREDITARY, THE HOLE IN THE GROUND).

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    I stumbled across Hereditary on Prime last week. Hard to empathise with the characters as I thought they were all insane and probably shouldn't be allowed to further pollute the gene pool. Okay, Gabriel Byrne was sane but a complete wet fart. Films that make me think like a eugenicist make me uncomfortable. It kept reminding me of The Witch, only not as good. Still, it was interesting enough to make me want to see this. Eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
    Ha! Could they tell why?
    Not without spoiling it.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Ringeisen

• Dick Ringeisen
    replied
    Hereditary, I didn't care much for it, but, it was an OK time. Too often during Hereditary, I found myself thinking things like, "What the fuck did that have to do with anything"? "Why does the girl make, 'click', noises with her mouth? Is it to be creepy"?

I did see, uh, "potential", in Hereditary. Midsommer looks like it will be more up my alley. 2 1/2 hours though... I'm curious how that time is filled. Hopefully not with a bunch of artsy fartsy stuff. I'll still give it a go, though. I like Wicker Man. Hereditary, I thought it was OK, it needed a bit more work, then I think it would have been a better film.

So, in the next few days, I'll give Midsommer a go. I prefer cheap times for movies, but this one, it may be fun with a crowd, and worth the extra $s to do so.

I remember seeing Devil's Advocate back in 1997, and at the end, when the, "Twist" is revealed, a man got up and screamed, "NAW, Hell no! I didn't just pay to see a movie about a ______" The man seemed genuinely upset with the way The Devil's Advocate ended. Fun times.

Leave a comment:

• Alison Jane
    Girl Boss Jane

• Alison Jane
    replied
    Ha! Could they tell why?

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Co-worker of mine saw it and said someone stormed (not walked, stormed) out of the screening.

Leave a comment:

• Alison Jane
    Girl Boss Jane

• Alison Jane
    replied
    Anyone seen this yet? Liked Hereditary, loved Wicker Man so I do have an interest. Trailer looks neat.

Leave a comment:

• Lorne Marshall

• Lorne Marshall
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
    If this movie has anything as hilarious as the telephone pole scene from Hereditary...
    Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    If this movie has anything as hilarious as the telephone pole scene from Hereditary, it will have at least one unintended thing going for it! Sadly, that was the only thing Hereditary really had going for it.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Apparently screening invites are coming as pop-up cards (not my picture, swiped it from twitter).

Click image for larger version

Name:	D80s0AIXYAAE7yf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	356234

Leave a comment:

• Dick Ringeisen

• Dick Ringeisen
    replied
    Lorne,

Oh yeah, The Wicker Man is some good stuff. I was a bit excited when Wicker Tree was announced, a sequel so many years later, let me see how it is. I was keen on seeing what was going to be done, though I felt The Wicker Man was fine as it was, just that film. With The Wicker Tree, I just recall a feeling of, well, not much, while watching it. I was disappointed.

The Wicker Man, I recall when I first saw it, pretty much knowing the punch-line at the end, but it still was good stuff. That reminds me, the ending of Seconds was something I didn't know anything about, left me with a, "Wow" at the end... The Wicker Man may have done the same to me years ago,had I not heard about it so much prior to watching it. I need to revisit The Wicker Man sometime. I put The Wickerman there with Blood on Satan's Claw. Both of them I enjoy.

Hereditary, it was different than the trailer led me to think it was, also many things didn't get followed up on, or make sense, but, it was OK. I didn't find it a poor film, it had some moments, just too much didn't make much sense to me. A little bit not making sense it one thing. Hereditary, that type of style film, with what Midsommer looks to be, I think I may find that more interesting. I look forward to giving Midsommer a go. I'm curious about Midsommer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X