Midsommar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
    The same number of cinemas is an interesting point. But you kind of gloss over the importance of the difference in cost and takings of the two films. The Wicker Man's production budget was about 150% of its box office take. That's a bomb. Midsommar box office is about 350% on its production budget and that's good business in anyones books.
    I did mention the higher budget and the involvement of a major studio. Still, it is interesting how expectations for a smart horror film have been so lowered that $28M (about what MIDSOMMAR has made to date) is considered some kind of victory. Especially, when you consider the crap that regularly makes three or four times that amount (with similar budgets to boot).

Comment

The director's cut is getting a UK Blu-ray release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...SIN=B07WDDMBW6

Click image for larger version

Name:	91zbUkNy+ZL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	356728
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Is there any sort of consensus as to which is the preferred cut? I'm not intending to buy two copies of this, given either will be a 'blind buy'.

Updated to say, I think that question is redundant. The theatrical cut is no longer listed on Amazon and people on another forum are confidently stating that this will be a two-disk set containing both versions.
        s.chivers
        Last edited by s.chivers; 09-18-2019, 05:05 PM.
        https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

I'm a bit confused, the version up on Amazon.ca doesn't say anything about the director's cut, is it going to be part of the North American release?

Comment

I got the US Blu-ray release. One Blu-ray, on DVD. Running time on the Blu-ray is 2:27:05 so that would seem to be the theatrical cut.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Thanks. I really liked the theatrical cut but may wait for the directors cut before purchasing.

Comment

Amazon.co.uk indicates the pre-order for Director's Cut is "currently unavailable," which is often a bad sign.

Comment

Originally posted by mjeon View Post
                  Amazon.co.uk indicates the pre-order for Director's Cut is "currently unavailable," which is often a bad sign.
                  That's been happening a lot recently on amazon uk, but they usually become available again closer to the release date.
                  I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

That happened to the blu-ray of the beloved The Bloodsucker Leads the Dance, and over a year later I'm still waiting. Sob.

Comment

Originally posted by mjeon View Post
                      It's back on the menu.
                      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Watched this last night. It had some good moments, but overall I found it underwhelming. It could've been an hour shorter, too; the 147 min. running time is more than a little indulgent.

There's some bad laughs in this as well. I'm pretty sure a climactic scene was supposed to be serious and creepy, but I was actually laughing a little bit.
                        Matt H.
                        Last edited by Matt H.; 10-11-2019, 10:17 AM.
                        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                          Watched this last night. It had some good moments, but overall I found it underwhelming. It could've been an hour shorter, too; the 147 min. running time is more than a little indulgent.

There's some bad laughs in this as well. I'm pretty sure a climactic scene was supposed to be serious and creepy, but I was actually laughing a little bit.
                          I guess you're not a candidate to wade through the 170 minute version!

As to the "laughs", Aster has done the self-revisionist thing and claimed that it was a dark comedy all along. While, as I wrote in my review earlier in this thread, some of the bits were certainly intentional, I agree that most of them are some form of "bad laughs". Aster seems to want it both ways - he revels in the reviews that call it creepy and horrifying, while also wanting to get "credit" to those that find it a hoot (intentional or otherwise).

If you want a real bunch of unintentional laughs, see the Nic Cage WICKER MAN remake!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
                            If you want a real bunch of unintentional laughs, see the Nic Cage WICKER MAN remake!
                            I've seen it. That's a weird one; I don't know what to make of it. Neil LaBute had previously made four very good black comedies and then, all of a sudden, he doesn't know what he's doing? There had to have been studio interference or something; how could an intelligent director suddenly lose his taste?

Nic Cage punching out women is pretty damn funny, though.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

Nic Cage punching out women is pretty damn funny, though.
                              Correction: Nic Cage punching out women in a bear suit is pretty damn funny, though.

I was never a big fan of LaBute's work. He always came off as too smugly self-aware to be genuinely effective. His Wicker Man is all over the place, as is the tone. My full piece on it is here: http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...l=1#post193841

Comment

Director's Cut Blu-ray release happening in Australia soon.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=322606
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X