Jordan Peele's US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jordan Peele's US

"A mother and father take their kids to their beach house, expecting to enjoy time with friends, but their serenity turns to tension and chaos when some visitors arrive uninvited."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6857112/

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Meh.
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

I get the impression that Peele might be a one hit wonder.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I personally didn't think that GET OUT was that good, but I know I'm in the minority, there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
          I personally didn't think that GET OUT was that good, but I know I'm in the minority, there.
          No, I'm on your side with this one, Mark. It was okay but not great, though made a bigger impact than it arguably deserved because it was simply 'timely'.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I only saw Get Out last month & realized I had managed to not know what it was all about so when it was all revealed, I thought it was just dumb.

Comment

I thought Get Out was pretty good.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                I thought Get Out was pretty good.
                Me too!
                Obviously we're all privy to the tropes involved and whatnot but I thought it was still fresh compared to most of what passes for horror these days (and humor!). The racial overtones and uncomfortable humor created a great stew and a welcome spin on the black man's fear of LOOK WHO'S COMING TO DINNER. I thought Jordan Peele pulled it off with aplomb.
                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I thought Get Out was incredibly stupid, offensive and predictable.

Comment

I think the girlfriend's brother is one of the dumbest aspects of G.O. Everything about him is just awful. Seems like Peel even thought as as once the brother is introduced, he isn't seen for a good while.

Chris' TSA buddy is kinda funny: "You're in some Eyes Wide Shut shit down there".

Comment

I reckon that looks pretty creepy and orginal. I'm in. I also thought Get Out was a lot of fun as a smarter and all round better spin on the Stepford Wives formula. The level of acclaim it got though was a bit odd. It's not the sort of film I expect to get nominated for an Oscar and that it reached that kind of level is a real sign of the impoverished state of cinema these days.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

With declining viewers and political correctness we should be seeing many more questionable yet popular choices.
                        They're struggling to remain relevant.

Anyways, I learned long ago that the Oscars was nothing more than a popularity contest for Hollywood.

Comment

Surprised nobody's posted about this since it came out (and is the #1 movie at the B.O.). More later, but, for now I'll just say it's ok, but a bit of a disappointment. Too long (especially the set-up) and far too much time is spent on the home invasion angle. A couple of disquieting moments and ideas, but, if you think about it for even a bit, the plot makes little sense -- even on it's own terms.

Comment

Snazzy Best Buy exclusive steelbook art. Disc comes out in June.

Click image for larger version

Name:	us.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	355855
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

My full review:

For all it virtues, Jordan Peele's GET OUT's greatest strength may have been its strong focus on getting from its creepy beginning to its finale. All of the social commentary, humor and production values seemed determined to arrive at that conclusion (fumbled a bit, but, that's a different discussion). With US, Peele has chosen a much more indirect route. The end goal may have been clear to Peele, but, the path is much rockier.
                              Give Peele kudos for ambition. US is chock-full of subplots, subtext and, even a bit of genuine subversion. The basic gimmick seems simple enough. A young girl Adelaide (Lupita Nyong'o) walks into a funhouse in 1986 and exits a scared and scarred victim of a frightful appearance. Cut to the present and the now adult Adelaide and her husband and two children are going on vacation near that same fateful funhouse. Audiences conditioned by horror films can start to guess what is going to happen next, but Peele continues to toss in curve balls and sliders as US flits from childhood terrors to home invasion thriller to Invasion Of The Body Snatchers riff to Zombie flick.
                              By the time we get to the conclusion, the audience may be forgiven for feeling a bit worn out, not just by the longish running time (110 minutes), but, by the twisty path US takes to get to the not altogether satisfying conclusion. What keeps the movie afloat is the fine acting by Nyong'o, Elisabeth Moss and Shahadi Wright Joseph (as Adelaide's daughter). Peele stages much of the action well and the other tech credits are solid. While there isn't the deeper vein of humor as found in GET OUT, Peele sneaks in a few choice bits in the margins.
                              To Peele's credit, he has never been shy about acknowledging his inspirations in his work, whether it be The Stepford Wives for GET OUT, or the Twilight Zone episode 'Mirror Image' here (Peele's revamp of Twilight Zone has just begun airing). Some may also see not only the influence of the aforementioned Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, but, also THE STRANGERS, GREMLINS and even the semi-obscure British horror film DEATH LINE (aka Raw Meat). All filmmakers borrow, of course. Unfortunately, sections of US feel like an undigested collections of themes, storylines and plot points. Without getting into spoilers, I'll just state that the more one thinks about it, the less the basic premise makes sense. Peele tries the trick of avoiding direct explanation of what the hell is going on, but, there's enough there to notice that it doesn't add up.
                              It is too easy to say that US is Peele's 'sophomore slump'. It's better than that, but, it's still a bit of disappointment.

If nothing else, US answers the question of what an early David Cronenberg (70s era) remake of Penny Marshall/Tom Hanks' BIG would have been like!
                              JoeS
                              Last edited by JoeS; 04-04-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X