Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title-Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter
    Source-Paramount DVD

Some of y'all might have noticed I rarely mention Hammer films. Mostly cause there is so few of the classic Hammer films I enjoy. As a kid I would read about the Hammer horror films in various books and magazines,but I never saw them on TV or for rent at the video store. It wasn't until early 90s that I started seeing most of the Hammer horror films. And it didn't take long for me to figure out I am just not a big fan of Hammer's horror movies.

I had been hearing for years how Captain Kronos was the best of the Non-Lee/Cushing vampire films. So in 2004 when I found this DVD for $5 I grabbed it. Figuring I would watch it at least twice.Two times cause it has a commentary. After the first viewing I enjoyed it enough to keep it. Then after listening to the commentary I knew I was going to keep the DVD.

A village has been hit by a rash of strange deaths. People keep aging faster than normal. So Dr Marcus calls in his Army friend Captain Kronos. Kronos and his assistant Grost show up. They are professional vampire hunters. After reviewing the evidence Captain Kronos figures out it is a vampire causing the deaths. But not your normal type of vampire,this one drains youth instead of blood.

After another attack,the Captain and his hunchback sidekick head off to investigate. On their way they run into Carla,a young Gypsy woman. Carla is played by Caroline Munro. And she joins our duo in their fight against this youth draining vampire.

Our heroes learn that since this isn't your normal type of vampire the normal methods of killing a vampire will not work. So they have to figure out a way to kill this powerful creature.

From my research this movie was suppose to be the start of a new vampire franchise from Hammer. And it is one I wish had happened. Sadly the film didn't do that well and not long after it Hammer was having money problems.

Thankfully in 2017 Titan comics published a 4 issue Captain Kronos comic. I read the first issue and it is pretty good. Now I just gotta find a trade collecting the series.

Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter gets a C+.

Comment

• Day 23: Ed Wood

Yeah, it's not a horror film but still a good halloween movie.

Cat Girl

1950s British Cat People rip off with Barbara Shelley. The first half is more fun than the second, but still a good little curio.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• the grudge (2004)

can't hate a movie that opens with bill pullman jumping off a balcony to his death. but still the original is much better + can you remember the time when sarah michelle gellar was a well-known actress?
        killer must kill again
        Last edited by killer must kill again; 10-23-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Day 24: Slush

Unfortunately, this turned out to not really be a horror film. I've been thinking about the work of Hisayasu Sato a lot over the past few days, and since many of his darker pink films cross the line into horror I decided to give this one a go. Released under the title Office Lady Rape: Devouring the Giant Tits, Slush does toy with many of Sato's common themes but in a more diluted form than I expected. There are a number of nasty moments and plenty of upsetting images, though their impact is diminished by a strain of self-aware humour that I've never seen in a Sato film before. Unlike violent and grotesque films such as Lustmord and Turtle Vision that easily fall into the horror category, Slush is just a pink film, albeit a deeply unpleasant one.

Oh well. I've got a proper classic lined up for tomorrow.

Comment

• Day 24: The Devil's Partner

So the story's not great, but it's nice to see this sort of thing in a country setting rather than a traditional gothic one.

Comment

• Title-Dead Men Walk
              Source-Count Gore Devol's airing on Vimeo

Back right before Valentine's Day 1943 PRC,Producers Releasing Corporation,released Dead Men Walk. George Zucco plays a set of twins,Dr Lloyd Clayton and Elwyn. The Dr kills off his twin cause of the twin involvement in occult ceremonies.

But the Dr waited to long to do this. Cause his twin comes back from the dead. Elwyn comes back as some kind of supernatural creature that murders the villagers by draining their blood. Yea I know it sounds like Elwyn is a vampire. But in the movie he is never referred to as a vampire. And seems to show none of the normal vampire weaknesses.

Dr Lloyd and his niece,Gayle,find out that Elwyn is back. And Lloyd realizes the only way for them to be safe is to kill his brother. Lloyd traps Elwyn in the library and sets it on fire. But the Dr is trapped in there. So they both die.

The cast is pretty decent.

George Zucco plays the two brothers.I now want to see more movies with him. He has this odd charisma on screen. That while he isn't a great actor,you still can't take your eyes off him.

Dwight Frye plays Zolarr. Who is Elwyn's servent. As is normal with Frye he chews up the scenery and pretty much steals every scene he is in.

Since Dead Men Walk is in the public domain it shows up on lots of DVD horror movie packs. But I watched it this time on Count Gore Devol's Vimeo channel. The Count's segments are really entertaining. I was surprised he didn't get into more of the history of this movie.

Dead Men Walk gets a C+.

Comment

• 01. The Night Stalker (1972)
                02. The Devil's Wedding Night (1973)
                03. Zombie (1979)
                04. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
                05. Scream and Scream Again (1970)
                06. The Black Sleep (1956)
                07. Nightmare City (1980)
                08. Animal (2014)
                09. The Incubus (1982)
                10. The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (1971)
                11. Twins of Evil (1971)
                12. Night of the Demons (1988)
                13. Count Dracula's Great Love (1973)
                14. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
                15. Bloody Pit of Horror (1965)
                16. The Night Strangler (1973)
                17. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
                18. The Whip and the Body (1963)

Comment

• The Unnamable (USA, 1988) 5/10

First off, the new BD looks and sounds (2.0 track) really good. I found the film to be kinda dull until the monster is revealed in the final 10 minutes. It had just enough going on that it held my attention but the bad acting and cheap music made it a bit of slog. That said, I really dig the monster which was enough to make it worth a revisit. The commentary track is fun. I'd like the sequel to get the same treatment.

Comment

• 01)Pigeons From Hell-Thriller
                    02)Madhouse(1974)
                    03)Horror Island
                    04)The Skull
                    05)The Robot Vs The Aztec Mummy
                    06)Delirium (2018)
                    07)Curse Of The Doll People
                    08)Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
                    09)Midnight Man(US)
                    010)Midnight Man (UK)
                    011)Xtro
                    012)Destination Inner Space
                    013)Jeepers Creepers III
                    014)Tales From The Hood 2
                    015)One Dark Night
                    016)Hangman(2017)
                    017)Sugar Hill
                    018)The Invisible Man
                    019)Trick 'r Treat
                    020)The House Of Long Shadows-Nice to see Lee, Price, Cushing and Carradine in the same film, interacting with each other. Fun.
                    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Day 25: Hí¤xan

Technically stunning, grimly hilarious, and gleefully grotesque. It's hard to believe this was only Benjamin Christensen's third film. Every movie about witches, inquisitors, or crazed nuns owes something to this one.

Comment

• Day 25: Devil's Express

They don't make 'em like that anymore! I think there's a case for saying this influenced some of the action films of the 80s/90s with big action stars facing off against a supernatural or alien threat. Anyway, it's damn good fun.

Comment

• Eye In The Labyrinth. I'd never seen this before because I thought it was the same movie as Eyeball. My copy of Eyeball comes from Germany and is called Labyrinth Des Shreckens. Eyeball. Labyrinth des Shreckens. Eye in the Labyrinth. Christ it's easy to get confused. Anyway due to the confusion its probably the highest profile giallo I havent seen.

It's got a bit recommend it. Not least a superhot lead actress. Mini skirts. Plenty of strangeness. Somehow couldn't focus on it though as there's a lot going on today. Will have to rewatch again later. Mark it as half seen.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                            The Unnamable (USA, 1988) 5/10

First off, the new BD looks and sounds (2.0 track) really good. I found the film to be kinda dull until the monster is revealed in the final 10 minutes. It had just enough going on that it held my attention but the bad acting and cheap music made it a bit of slog. That said, I really dig the monster which was enough to make it worth a revisit. The commentary track is fun. I'd like the sequel to get the same treatment.

I got the old bare bones DVD of the sequel. Might dig it out to watch today.
                            Title-Nightmare on Elm Street 2 Freddy's Revenge
                            Source-Svengoolie airing

Yep back before he got onto MeTV,Svengoolie would sometimes air fairly modern films. Thankfully various fans recorded some of these episodes. And I managed to get a DVD-R copy of Sven's airing of Nightmare on Elm Street 2.

After the original Elm Street film was a huge hit a sequel was quickly put into production. Hitting theaters a bit less than a year after the original came out,Elm Street 2 was a big hit. Sure most of the people that saw it didn't care for it. But it took a few weeks for word of mouth to get around.

Mark Patton plays Jesse. The new kid in town. His family has just moved to Springfield and they are living in Nancy's old home. Fairly quickly Jesse starts having nightmares about Freddy. But besides these nightmares Jesse isn't doing to bad. Sure he is the new kid but he has already made a new friend.

Lisa,played by Kim Myers,is Jesse's new friend. He has a crush on her but is too shy to say anything. To me Kim has always looked like a young red headed version of Meryl Streep.

Jesse ends up getting into a fight during gym class. To punish both guys the coach makes them stay after school and Jesse and Grady become friends.

Lisa comes over after school to hang out with Jesse. And they find Nancy's old diary. In which they see she had been having similar nightmares to Jesse.Then odd stuff starts happening around the house. Like when the family bird just burst into flames.

The Dad,played Clu Gulager,blames all this on Jesse. Jesse's nightmares get worse.And he starts to wander around town late at night. One night he wanders into a bar. Discovers it is a gay leather bar and sees the school coach there. To punish Jesse for being in the bar the coach takes Jesse back to the school and makes him run laps. Jesse ends up disappearing in the steam in the shower room. And is replaced by Freddy. Who kills the coach. Jesse appears again and is shocked to see he is wearing Freddy's fright glove.

The next night Jesse goes to Lisa's pool party. They end up off in one of the pool houses and start making out.

Then out of nowhere Jesse's tongue is replaced by Freddy's. So Jesse runs off to Grady's home. Sneaks into his bedroom and wakes Grady up. Grady offers Jesse some great advice.

Jesse talks Grady into watching over him as he sleeps. But Grady falls asleep and Freddy takes over Jesse's body.Freddy kills Grady.Freddy morphs back into Jesse. Jesse freaks out and runs off to Lisa's home. Freddy takes over Jesse's body again and we get a massacre at the pool party.

Lisa realizes it is Jesse's terror that is giving Freddy his power. After Lisa tells Jesse she loves him and then kisses him Freddy burst into flames and seems to die. But of course this being an Elm Street film we have to get a shitty ending that lets us know Freddy isn't dead. That is one of the my main complaints about the Elm Street series. They usually have really shitty endings.

I clearly remember that when this came out most people hated it. With the major complaint being how in this film Freddy can come into the real world fairly easy. Which is very different than it was in the first film.

In the 30+years since this movie came out there has been much talk about the not so subtle homosexual theme to the film. You got the gay leather bar. The very odd dance Jesse does in his room. And hell Jesse's friend Grady points out that Lisa wants Jesse to bang her and Jesse runs off to go sleep in Grady's bedroom. The director of the film swears that all of this is just people reading way too much into the movie. But there is too much in the movie to leads to this conclusion to say it wasn't done on purpose.

Sven's segments are decent. They don't have the polish of his segments now that he is on a national channel. But they are fairly entertaining. And help make up for the film being edited for TV. I was a bit surprised at how little got edited out. I know there was either no or very little nudity in the movie. And the violence and gore were not at extreme levels. Really most of what got edited out for the Svengoolie airing is the foul language.

Nightmare on Elm Street 2 Freddy's Revenge gets a C.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                              Title-Dead Men Walk
                              Source-Count Gore Devol's airing on Vimeo

Back right before Valentine's Day 1943 PRC,Producers Releasing Corporation,released Dead Men Walk. George Zucco plays a set of twins,Dr Lloyd Clayton and Elwyn. The Dr kills off his twin cause of the twin involvement in occult ceremonies.

But the Dr waited to long to do this. Cause his twin comes back from the dead. Elwyn comes back as some kind of supernatural creature that murders the villagers by draining their blood. Yea I know it sounds like Elwyn is a vampire. But in the movie he is never referred to as a vampire. And seems to show none of the normal vampire weaknesses.

Dr Lloyd and his niece,Gayle,find out that Elwyn is back. And Lloyd realizes the only way for them to be safe is to kill his brother. Lloyd traps Elwyn in the library and sets it on fire. But the Dr is trapped in there. So they both die.

The cast is pretty decent.

George Zucco plays the two brothers.I now want to see more movies with him. He has this odd charisma on screen. That while he isn't a great actor,you still can't take your eyes off him.

Dwight Frye plays Zolarr. Who is Elwyn's servent. As is normal with Frye he chews up the scenery and pretty much steals every scene he is in.

Since Dead Men Walk is in the public domain it shows up on lots of DVD horror movie packs. But I watched it this time on Count Gore Devol's Vimeo channel. The Count's segments are really entertaining. I was surprised he didn't get into more of the history of this movie.

Dead Men Walk gets a C+.
                              Originally Jean Rollin's Rape of the Vampire was planned as a companion to this to pad it out to 90min for its French release.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex K. View Post

Terrifier

A no nonsense back to basics slasher. No likable characters but has good gore. A must for those that like killer clown pictures.
                                Solid recommendation, Alex! 💯💯

Comment

Working...
                                X