• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cagecards View Post

Subtle.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

So we just finished this. I enjoyed it quite a bit but it couldn't live up to the hype - how could it? But yeah, I had a lot of fun with it. It does take a bit of time to get going but Cage definitely goes all in on the character and while maybe there's some irony to his work here I still appreciated the insanity that he brought to the movie. I had no problem with the different cult characters, they were fine enough. Not sure I 'got' the Cenobite biker guys but whatever, they made for fun killer fodder.

Funny to see footage of China & Silk used in the movie. Vinegar Syndrome was thanked in the credits for that reason.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I thought it was magnificent. Like a Cannibal Corpse album cover drawn by Frank Frezetta to life.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

If I had seen it before the hype machine went into overdrive my impressions might have been more... impressed. And I'm not knocking it, I really did enjoy it. Could have been about 10-15 minutes shorter but killer art direction and Cage was great.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

We had the same opinion, Ian. I felt it was a little too long, and everyone talking about how it was the bestest movie in the world kinda killed it for me.

Comment

It didn't kill it for me but it dampened it a bit.

That said, it made me want to rewatch Beyond The Black Rainbow.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I think it's pretty gnarly that the director's father is the same man who brought us Cobra (1986).

Comment

*SPOILERS*

Just wanted to share some thoughts:

- I love the character of Jeremiah; he was most likely a total pussy before dosing the super-acid and the only reason he's tough is because said acid gave him a split personality. "I'll suck your dick, man."

- It's so awesome that Mandy is killed because she laughs at Jeremiah's small dick. She doesn't die a whimpering victim, and she gives him the ultimate diss. So cool.

- The order of death is unexpected and awesome. I love how Red takes out the Cenobites first, just to get you all pumped for how badly he's going to kill the (mostly) wimpy cult members.
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                    I thought it was magnificent. Like a Cannibal Corpse album cover drawn by Frank Frezetta to life.
                    That sums it up nicely. The same way BLACK RAINBOW is like an Omni magazine come to life.

Ian, I'm sorry you and Tolch felt oversold on it. I think the people that saw it and liked it had genuine enthusiasm for it. I don't recall myself or any article claiming it to be "the bestest ever". I don't believe any movie is the bestest ever. I tried to quantify it by saying "if you liked BLACK RAINBOW...", because I knew that people would have the same problem with this movie that they had with that one. Although I don't agree that pacing is a problem in MANDY.
                    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong Scott. I did enjoy it. Quite a bit. I'll probably give it another shot after some time has passed. But there was a big hype machine around this at least in my circles mainly due to a few co-workers who spoke about it like it was the second coming or something.

And I thought Black Rainbow was great.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wish that guy with the card game would come back.

Anyway, there's an 8-bit video game version in the works.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-...it-mandy-game/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Saw the film. Kind of liked it, appreciated its vision even if it wasn't entirely my cup of tea.

I was going crazy thinking in which Japanese film I had heard "Mandy Love Theme" before...
                          https://youtu.be/PKZEBhRX-TU?t=318

Then I realized it: Josee, the Tiger and the Fish (2003).
                          https://vimeo.com/303081666

Comment

For anyone interested in the German release...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It was very hard to care about anything that happened in this movie. When the revenge seeker's concern pivots from his partner being burned in front of him to his favorite shirt being torn the movie needed to go into gonzo overdrive but it never did that for me. This movie was just a fucking drag.
                              Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                                It was very hard to care about anything that happened in this movie. When the revenge seeker's concern pivots from his partner being burned in front of him to his favorite shirt being torn the movie needed to go into gonzo overdrive but it never did that for me. This movie was just a fucking drag.
                                But dude, it was his favorite shirt because (as we saw in flashback) it was the shirt he was wearing when he first met Mandy. Movie redeemed!

Comment

Working...
                                X