No announcement yet.

Doctor Sleep (sequel to the Shining)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover art for the upcoming German regular and steelbook editions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71hoYeQnRCL._SX342_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	357132

Name:	81PSXtOHaDL._SX342_.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	357133
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Apparently it bombed.
      Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

Looks like the home video release will include the director's cut.

Name:	EMBXxXJUUAAQwSp.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	357215
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rue Morgue named this best feature of 2019.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            Rue Morgue named this best feature of 2019.
            Rue Morgue also said RoboCop: Prime Directives was good, so I don't take their recommendations anymore.

Comment

I watched this last week with my mom while she was visiting.

It was ok. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's a regular-ass movie the same way 2010 is a regular-ass movie. I enjoyed the first half more, the second half becomes overwhelmed with callbacks to the original film and it just shows how silly it all looks without Kubrick. Ewan was a good choice for a grown-up Danny but I found the woman who played the antagonist, Rose the Hat, to be kinda weak.
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Thinking a bit more about it.... The day before we had watched THE MACHINIST, it was my first time seeing it and even now almost a week later it's still haunting my thoughts, similar to the first time when I saw THE SHINING when I was a kid. Both movies are about something; one is grief and guilt, the other a dissolution of a marriage and family. DOCTOR SLEEP isn't about anything beyond it's surface. It's about energy vampires killing telepaths. It may as well be another bullshit X-Men movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Thinking a bit more about it.... The day before we had watched THE MACHINIST, it was my first time seeing it and even now almost a week later it's still haunting my thoughts, similar to the first time when I saw THE SHINING when I was a kid. Both movies are about something; one is grief and guilt, the other a dissolution of a marriage and family. DOCTOR SLEEP isn't about anything beyond it's surface. It's about energy vampires killing telepaths. It may as well be another bullshit X-Men movie.
                  Yeah, THE MACHINIST had the same effect on me. It's a devastating movie. The scene where he goes on the spookshow ride is one of my favourite scenes of all-time.
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Watched it over the weekend, the director's cut, and liked it even if I didn't love it. The energy vampires or whatever they were could have used some backstory - any backstory, really, we get almost zero in that department. I liked the evolution of Danny's character and unlike Scott enjoyed the second half more than the first, even if some of that was admittedly obvious fan service. Ewan was good in the lead, some of the supporting characters were cool. I was glad to the The Giant from Twin Peaks in the movie!

It may as well be another bullshit X-Men movie.
                    You're not wrong, but I got a bit more out of it. It did, IMHO, a decent job of exploiting the whole 'sins of the father' idea, the initial inevitability of Danny becoming Jack with his drinking and his temper, kicking the habit and then literally coming face to face with it at the end. I thought that was kind of clever.

No way is it the best movie of the year, sorry Rue Morgue, and it doesn't have nearly the impact that The Shining does, but judged on its own merits I thought it was a decent enough horror movie. It entertained me if nothing else.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

At one point I turned to my mom and and said if I were them I'd get a bunch of guns. I was just joking, I didn't really expect a gunfight. Then two scenes later there's a giant gunfight. A gunfight in a SHINING sequel. sigh.
                      I didn't hate it. I was surprised by how much I did like it but at the end I thought it was just ok. The same way 2010 is just ok. It was impossible for me not to compare it to Kubrick's film. Like so many things these days it just felt completely unnecessary IMO.

I hope we don't get a BARRY LYNDON sequel all these years later where Barry has to fight off a bunch of telekinetic energy vampires with high powered rifles.

Funny that when this was first announced and they talked about the psychic cat and we all laughed at it. That cat was the best idea in this movie! I think a more sober story (pun intended!) could have been had without the super powered villains and instead just focused on Danny and the cat comforting dying elderly people while he quietly battles his inner demons. Maybe have him meet a woman and have him afraid of getting into a relationship and starting a family while he tries to get sober. They really glossed over the him getting sober part.

Like I said, it didn't help watching THE MACHINIST the night before. Hell, it's like a month later and I'm still haunted by THE MACHINIST.

Comment

I read the book this past Christmas time and just watched just watched the movie a few days ago. The book is much better, I really liked it. The movie was meh, and it strayed way too far off from the book. I thought it was interested that the kid from E.T. played Jack Torrence.

Comment

I agree with Todd here. This film was very meh. About as meh as it comes. It felt unfinished somehow, yet very professionally made. But still kind of pointless. Very by the numbers in all aspects.
                          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

just watched it because it popped up on Crave, but i had to keep stopping to take a break. The book, for all of the fun I made of the advertising, was not bad. the movie was not great. I do have to admit that in the last half hour, once they got to the Overlooks, I did enjoy the nods to the the film, and that they managed to acknowledge the film and King's book. It might have been pandering, but I liked the revisit. However, once they confronted the villain, seemed like the rest was just put in as eye candy. I didnt' dislike the film, I just don't know why they bothered.

Comment

Details on an unmade Shining prequel.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...phantom-limbs/
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                Details on an unmade Shining prequel.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...phantom-limbs/
                                That was a good read, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X