• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Sleep (sequel to the Shining)

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...torrance-2020/

Fuck this.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I never read the book, but yeah, not sure we need this.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Bad Stephen King movies have been a fact of life since 1984. Not read anything new by him in 20 years, so can't comment on the source material. Fuck it, they should just call it The Shining 2 for maximum wind-up impact.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VajmQ_bYnqw
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
        Bad Stephen King movies have been a fact of life since 1984. Not read anything new by him in 20 years, so can't comment on the source material. Fuck it, they should just call it The Shining 2 for maximum wind-up impact.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VajmQ_bYnqw
        Thanks for posting that Not the Nine O'Clock News clip, agent999. I haven't seen that in years.

DOCTOR SLEEP was okay. It was interesting to see the journey Danny Torrance took to adulthood, but like most of King's novels, it was badly in need of an editor. I'm not sure whether I need to see a film adaptation.

King's best recent novel, imo, is JOYLAND, which was absolutely phenomenal. In fact, I'd say that's my favourite novel of his, full stop. As I recall, back when it was first published, Andrew Monroe and I had a conversation about that novel in the 'What are you currently reading?' thread over in the book section.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I enjoyed DOCTOR SLEEP for what it was. The movie will undoubtedly suck.

I also liked JOYLAND and greatly enjoyed 11/22/63. The miniseries of the same name was also well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
            King's best recent novel, imo, is JOYLAND, which was absolutely phenomenal. In fact, I'd say that's my favourite novel of his, full stop.
            I'll check it out. It appears to be a manageable length (Oh Matron!) and not horror. I haven't enjoyed any of his horror novels that I've read post 'It' (unless Misery counts as horror).

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
              I enjoyed DOCTOR SLEEP for what it was. The movie will undoubtedly suck.

I also liked JOYLAND and greatly enjoyed 11/22/63. The miniseries of the same name was also well done.
              I missed 11/22/63, Mark. I'll have to read that one at some point, as I've heard nothing but praise for it.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Talk about providence! I demeaned myself by entering Poundland this morning to look for Blu Rays and found a copy of the Joyland book. Could be the best £1 I've spent in ages.

Comment

I'll probably watch the movie, but more because of the director than the author. As I mentioned in a past thread, I have really enjoyed Mike Flanagan's work so far.
                  VHS will never die!

Comment

Ewan McGregor is playing 'grown up' Danny Torrence.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/doc...el-1201974541/
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

McGregor has grown on me, I use to hate him in the Danny Boyle films, he always seemed to be playing the same character. Pillowbook changed my mind and he's done some very good work over the years: Young Adam, I Love You Phillip Morris, Ghostwriter and the Fargo TV series in particular. The director has also done good work. This could be promising.

Comment

A lot of people are going to be confused, expecting a sequel to Kubrick's The Shining but getting a sequel to King's The Shining.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                          A lot of people are going to be confused, expecting a sequel to Kubrick's The Shining but getting a sequel to King's The Shining.
                          Maybe they can consider it a sequel to the made-for-TV mini-series, which was more faithful to the book (although not particularly good, as far as I'm concerned)? Or maybe that's what you meant.
                          VHS will never die!

Comment

I'm waiting for Polanski's Lolita 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
                              Maybe they can consider it a sequel to the made-for-TV mini-series, which was more faithful to the book (although not particularly good, as far as I'm concerned)? Or maybe that's what you meant.
                              Pretty much. A lot of people have no idea just how much Kubrick diverged from the book with his film, in tone as well as content, so this one will definitely confuse a lot of fans of the first film and people who never read the book.

Comment

Working...
                              X