The Kindred Blu-ray from Synapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kindred Blu-ray from Synapse

It is set to be released sometime next year. Entertainment Weekly has the details

I guess that's one of the two films Don alludes to in the podcast I listened to yesterday (can't remember the name of it). The other, he says is not horror.

I'm pretty sure I saw The Kindred in the theater but other than the title, I know nothing! It will be interesting to check out after all of these years and it's always nice to pick up a film that hasn't been released before.

Comment

I asked elsewhere, but, how is it compared to THE POWER and DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD?

Comment

I had forgotten about The Dorm that Dripped Blood. It was one I wanted to pick up. I dig that artwork with the baseball bats.

Comment

“Almost ten years later, I can now say that, yes, we are doing The Kindred, finally, for 2018. While we didn't spend four years restoring it, it took us ten years to get out of all the legal mess to finally announce it again, ten years later. I could probably write a book as to what happened with The Kindred. [Laughs] We'll do The Kindred on Blu-ray and DVD, because honestly it's never been legally available on Blu-ray or DVD in the U.S. So, we'll be the first company to actually release it.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/01/the-...d-blu-ray-dvd/
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So I guess we're getting closer as Michael Felsher announced that not only is he working on extras for this but that this cut of the film will run a bit longer than what we've seen before and apparently it has a bit of extra gore.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Also Don May Jr. posted this on Instagram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	353839
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

update from Don's instagram
                Working on THE KINDRED today. Threw out the 10+ year old transfer and starting over for a much better image. After taking a hard look at the old master, I just couldn't release it to the fans the way it was. The old transfer was from an Internegative... This one is from a much better Interpositive captured on an Arriscan. And, it still has extra gore not seen in the U.S. release. Details soon... Still gotta re-sync the audio to the new picture and we still have to do restoration, so maybe a few more months before announcement. The rights issues that held this up for almost 10 years were out of our control. Now that it's cleared up, I felt a new transfer, with newer technology, would drastically improve the release. Talking about the possibility of making DCPs for theatrical, too. Could happen...

Comment

Ha, patience is a virtue.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Name:	kin.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	355618
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Name:	kin.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	359963
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

If I wasn't so lazy I'd dig out my Australian DVD and sell it while I can.

Comment

"Coming soon to Blu-ray, Synapse Films friends and fans... SOON!Pre-orders will be live as soon as we coordinate everything on our end.”

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It is up for ordering at Synapse and Diabolik.

Comment

Here's the full press release.

THE WAIT IS OVER!
                              SYNAPSE FILMS PREPARES TO FINALLY RELEASE “THE KINDRED” AS A LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY STEELBOOK™ ON DECEMBER 14, 2021!

“If ever there was an unheralded, long-lost classic from the eighties this is it. It plays like the great missing H.P. Lovecraft adaptation that Stuart Gordon forgot to tell you he made.” - Kindertrauma

Worldwide Blu-ray debut in a 3-disc (1080p Blu-ray/DVD/CD) Steelbookâ„¢ limited to 3500 pieces!

As Synapse Films prepares to celebrate their 25th anniversary in 2022, perhaps no film in the company's storied history has been as anticipated as The Kindred. After many years and a lot of hard work, The Kindred is finally ready to be unleashed, making its worldwide Blu-ray debut with a stellar new 4K restoration of the complete, unrated version of the film, accompanied by plenty of extras.

Academy Award-winning screen legends Rod Steiger (In the Heat of the Night; Duck, You Sucker) and Kim Hunter (A Streetcar Named Desire; Planet of the Apes) star in The Kindred, a chilling tale of a genetic experiment gone wrong… very wrong!

Kim Hunter is Dr. Amanda Hollins, a molecular scientist who calls on her son John (David Allen Brooks) to eliminate all evidence of her genetic experiments… most specifically her “Anthony Journals.” Dr. Philip Lloyd (Steiger), an acquaintance of Hollins who is familiar with her experiments, wants to continue her studies no matter the cost! John heads to his isolated childhood home with a group of friends to uncover his mother's research and destroy it all. There's something else in the house, however… something watching and waiting… a tentacled creature born from the desire to alter human evolution. It's evil. It's mad. It's ready to kill!

One of the best “creature features” of the 1980s, utilizing all practical special effects instead of CGI, The Kindred also stars Amanda Pays (TV's The Flash, Leviathan) and Talia Balsam (TV's Mad Men, Homeland).

SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:

• New 4K restoration of the unrated version of the film

• New 5.1 stereo surround sound remix (Original 2.0 mono theatrical mix also included)

• Audio commentary with directors Jeffrey Obrow and Stephen Carpenter, moderated by horror journalist Steve Barton

• Inhuman Experiments - The Making of “The Kindred”, an all-new documentary produced by Red Shirt Pictures (52 mins.)

• A special compilation of creature effects artist Michael McCracken, Jr.'s never-before-seen on-set footage

• Still gallery and original storyboards

• Original theatrical trailer, original video promotional trailer and TV spots

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Liner notes booklet featuring writing by film scholar and horror expert Michael Gingold

• CD soundtrack of the original film score by David Newman

• Limited edition slipcover/o-card sleeve designed by Wes Benscoter, with additional Steelbook™ artwork by Alexandros Pyromallis

The 3500-unit The Kindred Limited Collector's Edition Blu-ray Steelbookâ„¢ is available exclusively through the Synapse Films website at: www.synapse-films.com. The retail price is $49.95 ($43.95, plus $6.00 packing/handling fee) with a street date of December 14, 2021. Shipping to customers will commence on that date, or as soon as the disc sets are received at Synapse Films.

All North American orders are fulfilled and shipped via our San Francisco-based replicator, CAV Distribution. For questions regarding the shipping of your order in North America, please contact CAV Distribution via this email address: kindred@cavd.com. All international orders will be handled via the fine folks at DiabolikDVD (www.diabolikdvd.com).

Pre-order from Synapse Films HERE. (North American orders only.)

Pre-order from DiabolikDVD.com HERE. (International orders only.)

This release of The Kindred is REGION FREE for world-wide playback.

BLU-RAY SPECIFICATIONS:
                              VIDEO: High-Definition 1080p (1.78:1) Presentation / AVC
                              AUDIO: DTS-HD MA 5.1 English Stereo Surround and Original Theatrical 2.0 English Mono
                              SUBTITLES: English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
                              REGION: ALL

DVD SPECIFICATIONS:
                              VIDEO: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1) Presentation / NTSC
                              AUDIO: Dolby Digital 5.1 English Stereo Surround and Original Theatrical 2.0 English Mono
                              SUBTITLES: English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
                              REGION: ALL

ITEM #: SFD0200
                              UPC CODE: 654930322390
                              MPAA RATING: UNRATED
                              YEAR:1987
                              RUNNING TIME: 93 MINS.
                              COLOR
                              SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE: $49.95

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB