Untold Horror - Documentary Series on Films That Never Got Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
    I also love Jason goes to Hell. One of my favorites of the Friday series.

I will give you the first 15 mins of Jason Goes To Hell..

The rest was Hidden~lite...

Comment

Would have been nice also to see Romeros original big budgeted DAY OF THE DEAD...that probably would have been an amazing end to the trilogy.....

LAND was bad..Hopper badly underused....sporadic bits of boredom..and nothing really new to say that warranted it getting made...

The other 2 I have stayed WELL away from....

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
        Would have been nice also to see Romeros original big budgeted DAY OF THE DEAD...that probably would have been an amazing end to the trilogy.....

LAND was bad..Hopper badly underused....sporadic bits of boredom..and nothing really new to say that warranted it getting made...

I saw 'land...' at its uk premiere at frightfest and was so disappointed. In the past 12 or so years my opinion has radically changed. I think its great. Diary was ok, it felt as though romero was following the found footage trend rather than leading the way as usual.

Dawn was always my favourite of the originals as a youmg man but again my opinion has changed. Day is such an incredible film...and the effects(which are important in zombie cinema) have never been bettered

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post

I saw 'land...' at its uk premiere at frightfest and was so disappointed. In the past 12 or so years my opinion has radically changed. I think its great. Diary was ok, it felt as though romero was following the found footage trend rather than leading the way as usual.

Dawn was always my favourite of the originals as a youmg man but again my opinion has changed. Day is such an incredible film...and the effects(which are important in zombie cinema) have never been bettered

Comment

Originally posted by george n View Post
            I saw 'land...' at its uk premiere at frightfest and was so disappointed. In the past 12 or so years my opinion has radically changed. I think its great.
            This echoes my feelings about LAND... precisely: on its initial release, I thought it was deeply disappointing, but rewatching it at home a couple of years ago I thought it was a sly, entertaining little film.

There are a number of other Romero films that I disliked at first but which have grown on me: DAY..., MONKEY SHINES and THE DARK HALF being good examples.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
              This echoes my feelings about LAND... precisely: on its initial release, I thought it was deeply disappointing, but rewatching it at home a couple of years ago I thought it was a sly, entertaining little film.
              I had the exact opposite experience. I saw it the day it came out in the theaters, I thought it was okay, maybe pretty good at best. But every time I re-watch it I hate it more and more and more each and every time.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                No, he agreed with the sycophantic analysis of his works. In that article that mentioned Hurricane Katrina (there's several of them believe it or not) he agreed with the interviewer that Land and the others are at the deep level of thought and social commentary.
                Interesting. I know I've seen one interview with him where he says something along the lines of "not this again" whenever people bring up the casting of Duane Jones in Night of the Living Dead, always insisting that casting a black lead had nothing to do with making any sort of social commentary, that Jones was simply the best actor for the part.
                LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

At lease Romero didn't turn into a total piece of shit director like Argento. Fuck that guy. :poop:

Comment

Nightmare City had its preachy-ness too now didn't it?
                    It did indeed That was part of the charm of some of the early 1980s horror pictures, always seemingly tacked on to give the films some sense of legitimacy - eg, the garbled ecological/First World-Third World nonsense in ZOMBIE CREEPING FLESH, and most famously the mealy-mouthed 'I wonder who the real cannibals are' palaver in CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (clue: it's the people eating the other people).
                    Maggie. This one is genuinely great despite the lack of gore.
                    I've held back on watching MAGGIE as my expectations for it were quite low and I had 'better' things to watch instead. However, I'm genuinely intrigued now and will have to seek out a copy.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
                      At lease Romero didn't turn into a total piece of shit director like Argento. Fuck that guy. :poop:
                      Oh, come on. I think poeple are way too hard on Argento; is it really fair to expect him to maintain the same level of quality forever, considering there hasn't been a horror industry in Italy for decades - and he still gets movies made - plus the fact that he's pretty old now, too? I think it's cool that he's still making them. He hasn't completely embarassed himself IMO - and for the record, I don't think DRACULA is nearly as bad as people say. I'm not ashamed to admit that I really don't dislike any of Argento's modern films - none of them are great, but they're entertaining enough, and perfectly watchable.
                      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I've said my piece on Argento already.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                          He hasn't completely embarassed himself IMO - and for the record, I don't think DRACULA is nearly as bad as people say. I'm not ashamed to admit that I really don't dislike any of Argento's modern films - none of them are great, but they're entertaining enough, and perfectly watchable.
                          Argento’s Dracula was a pile of hot garbage. One of the worst films I’ve ever sat through. Maybe even worse than Giallo which I thought was a stunning embarrassment. But to each his own and all that...

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
                            Argento’s Dracula was a pile of hot garbage. One of the worst films I’ve ever sat through.
                            The worst thing a movie can be is boring; DRACULA may be silly and laughable, but it held my interest and certainly kept me entertained (and more nude Asia is always welcome!).

Comment

I just think that Argento has shot his wad. The man clearly does not lack imagination, but I don't think he can strike the right balance anymore. His ideas are so wild that they become laughable (Dracula, Mother of Tears) or he plays it too safe and is dull (The Card Player). He just can't walk the line between anymore, and the mainstream has ripped off his showy technique which is so easy to do with cgi nowadays. If I were 25 years younger I wouldn't get why old fuckers like me love his first 10 films. I will always check out a new movie by him, and I'll probably always be disappointed.
                              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I think CARD PLAYER is his worst film; I'm not sure how they thought the concept would ever translate to the screen. As for other Argento-lite, I think DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK? is pretty fun, and is similar in some ways to his '70s gialli.

Comment

Working...
                                X