Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Releasing Romero's Season Of The Witch

From Cinema Arcana:

"Some exciting news from Arrow Video -- they're performing a full-blown 4K restoration of George A. Romero's underrated and underseen SEASON OF THE WITCH (1972)! Alternately known as both JACK'S WIFE and HUNGRY WIVES, the film follows a middle-aged suburban housewife, overcome with boredom and unhappiness, who turns to a local woman rumored to practice witchcraft as a hopeful cure for her endless malaise.

In an interview for an upcoming issue of the British publication Home Cinema Choice, James White, Arrow's Head of Technical and Restoration Services, confirms the acquisition, adding, "We'd almost given up hope on finding a decent element, but just recently one of our collaborators in the States located the original 16mm negative, almost as a fluke. So I'm very pleased about that as it's a film in Romero's canon that's never enjoyed a decent presentation on video before."

And he's not kidding, as anyone who suffered through the old Vista VHS and Anchor Bay DVD can attest. For years the original negative was assumed lost forever, so its rediscovery is a serious cause for celebration amongst the Pittsburgh director's more fervent followers. Dare we hope for the full 130-minute original cut? Expect more details in 2017!"
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Next the extended print of Martin will show up...
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

Exciting news! I always hoped to see a good presentation of this one day.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I've not seen this, but I'm in for all early Romero.

Comment

this is an interesting movie, I saw it a long time ago, I can't wait to see it again on blu ray. I remember really liking it, kind of a movie I had forgotten about and was not even thinking about or anticipating coming out on blu ray, but glad to see it is coming out, I will definitely get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Horse 77 View Post
            Next the extended print of Martin will show up...
            Please yes. Martin is one of my favorites and I've wanted to see this extended cut since the first time I read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smegma View Post
              Please yes. Martin is one of my favorites and I've wanted to see this extended cut since the first time I read about it.
              I'd be happy just to get it in its OAR. The Lions Gate DVD was brutally cropped.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I've always found Season of the Witch as great viewing on a rainy Saturday afternoon when not too much is happening and one has time for this nice little flick.
                "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
                -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
                -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

Working...
                X