Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Koukol View Post
    pretentious
    So glad to see this word making a big comeback.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• It never left?...... How's that for substance?

Btw I thought the film was nothing out of the ordinary, it's not really forgettable though as it attempts to create something unique. Many things that falls flat like the "dualaction" dance, the opening scene etc.
      I'm amazed that it's as well recieved as it is in general. I hardly think this movie will be talked about in 10 years from now.

Comment

• I watched it in three very long segments the other day. This is a contemporary dance movie with some horror and ridiculous rubber suit make up thrown in. Kudos for the ballsiness of it, but fuck them for my lost time.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• I'm probably alone in this, but ever since I first saw images of Dr. Klemperer, I thought "This looks like an 80 year old Thom Yorke, or Thom Yorke in old-man makeup."

Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
          I'm amazed that it's as well recieved as it is in general.
          Same here, especially among cult-horror cinephiles. After absolutely loathing HALLOWEEN 2018, I at least appreciated that SUSPIRIA '18 took the effort to be pretentious, even if it didn't work for me at all. I knew it wasn't working for me by the time of the first "body horror" sequence. I'm watching it, wondering "Why am I feeling nothing? This sort of thing usually at least makes me cringe." But, I dunno, the bone-snapping contortions seemed more out of something like a bad 80's gross out comedy than anything seriously diabolical. (Say what you want about ALIEN COVENANT, but the very concept of the spineburster at least makes me flinch.)

Frankly I'm still baffled the way they tried to hide from the public that Swinton played Klemperer. It seemed like JJ Abrams mystery box type marketing. Unnecessarily convoluted.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
            It never left?...... How's that for substance?
            Uh.... lacking?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
              Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
              It never left?...... How's that for substance?
              Uh.... lacking?
              What's the current popular status on the usage of the word "overrated"? Before I abandoned social media I encountered that word with tiresome repetition.

OT: Once someone on IMDB called DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE "overrated." I'm asking... by what standard? Who is overrating this?! It has some deeply devoted fans such as myself but it's certainly no critical darling or consensus favorite.

Apparently this individual's perception of "overrated" was the mere fact that it has fans.

Comment

• I think there's a strong desire to be a contrarian, particularly when a film is praised a lot early on. I found it happened with MANDY, for example; people were singing its praises until, I guess, some people had had enough and started pointing out its flaws. I have no problem getting on board with a film if I genuinely like it, regardless of whether it's overpraised or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                  I think there's a strong desire to be a contrarian, particularly when a film is praised a lot early on.
                  Add to that those "reactive contrarians," where people respond to well-received indie/cult cinema by praising mainstream films & hack directors because, to quote a song Patrick Bateman likes, "It's hip to be square."

Sometimes it's borderline-trolling. You can tell certain people are trying to piss you off when they proclaim "FILM X sucks but the remake/sequel is far superior!" A few reviews of SUSPIRIA '18 I read had that clickbait-y quality of praising the remake at the expense of Argento's original. (Eg: "While the original's a superficial exercise in style, this remake has 'real things that it wants to say!'")

There's a breed of folks who hate Kubrick's "pretentious" 2001 and will seriously argue that 2010 is a superior film & Peter Hyams' direction is superior to Kubrick's. At this point I'm amused by the lengths people will go to outrage film buffs. Life's too short to be triggered by such silly shit. You want to be a Hyams apologist? Go ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curwen View Post
                    Add to that those "reactive contrarians," where people respond to well-received indie/cult cinema by praising mainstream films & hack directors because, to quote a song Patrick Bateman likes, "It's hip to be square."
                    I'm actually guilty of doing this with the much-loathed GHOSTBUSTERS reboot; the fact that people were getting so angry about it actually made me like it more and I couldn't wait for people to jump on me for it. I think another thing that bothered me about all of the outrage concerning GHOSTBUSTERS 2016 was the fact that part 2 is such a mediocre sequel. Nobody liked it in 1989, but some people consider it this great movie now. Although it's better than I remembered, it's still pretty disappointing.

Originally posted by Curwen View Post
                    You want to be a Hyams apologist? Go ahead.
                    I don't think 2010 is all that great (it has some good, creepy moments) but I'm definitely a fan of Hyams: BUSTING, CAPRICORN ONE, OUTLAND and THE STAR CHAMBER are great films. RUNNING SCARED and NARROW MARGIN are a lot of fun as well.

As to your point, though, yeah, anyone who compares the work of Kubrick and Hyams is just baiting for an argument.

Comment

• Tried to watch the Suspiria remake yesterday and failed utterly, much like the film itself.

Marshall Crist
                      Last edited by Marshall Crist; 12-29-2022, 08:57 PM. Reason: Edited because of a colossal fuck-up.

Comment

• I assume he made this so he'd have the freedom and money to make Bones and All which I dug.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                          I assume he made this so he'd have the freedom and money to make Bones and All which I dug.
                          Disagree there. Guadagnino mentioned Suspiria as a passion project for years. He just wanted to make a couple of more horrorific films than the ones that he was known for.

Unfortunately, Bones And All bombed as well. He may be 'forced' into doing something artier next time

Comment

• Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
                            Tried to watch the Suspiria sequel yesterday and failed utterly, much like the film itself.
                            Inferno?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Inferno?
                              Oh, FFS, did I really type that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post

Oh, FFS, did I really type that?
                                Yup.

Comment

Working...
                                X