No announcement yet.

That Suspiria Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US release coming via Lionsgate on 1/29/19.

https://amzn.to/2E0s3er
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I saw the film 2 weeks ago at Nite Hawk Theater in Brooklyn NY. The trailers had me very excited and I had such high hopes, but ultimately I felt let down. I liked the first hour or so, and I think both Tilda and Dakota gave great performances. But compared to Dario's film...well, there are hardly any comparisons aside from the basic plot. I did like parts of the crazy ending, but it went on forever and I found the dancing annoying and distracting. I also was not into the majority of the music for this film, yet I do enjoy a lot of Radiohead?

Comment

• Here's the full press release of the North American Blu-ray release.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	355244

Street Date: 1/29/19
        Blu-rayâ„¢ + Digital SRP: $24.99

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION

Experience Luca Gudagnino's outrageously twisted re-imagining of Dario Argento's 1977 horror cult classic that has been called a “grim and glorious work of madness” (IndieWire, David Ehrlich) when Suspiria arrives on Digital January 15 and on Blu-rayâ„¢ (plus Digital) January 29 from Lionsgate. Starring Dakota Johnson, Oscar® winner and Golden Globe® nominee* Tilda Swinton (2007, Michael Clayton, *Best Supporting Actress; 2012, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama), Mia Goth, and Chloí« Grace Moretz and featuring a mesmerizing haunting score by Thom Yorke, Guadagnino's directorial follow-up to the Oscar®-winning Call Me by Your Name (Best Adapted Screenplay, 2017), written for the screen by David Kajganich, has received incredible critical praise with Variety's Owen Gleiberman calling it a “lavishly cerebral high-end horror film” and a “divinely demonic spectacle of womanly power.” The Suspiria Blu-ray (plus digital) will be available for the suggested retail price of $24.99.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS

Young American dancer Susie Bannion arrives in 1970s Berlin to audition for the world-renowned Helena Markos Dance Company, stunning the troupe's famed choreographer, Madame Blanc, with her raw talent. When she vaults to the role of lead dancer, Olga, the previous lead, breaks down and accuses the company's female directors of being witches. As rehearsals intensify for the final performance of the company's signature piece, Susie and Madame Blanc grow strangely close, suggesting that Susie's purpose in the company goes beyond merely dancing. Meanwhile, an inquisitive psychotherapist trying to uncover the company's dark secrets enlists the help of another dancer, who probes the depths of the studio's hidden underground chambers, where horrific discoveries await.

BLU-RAY/DIGITAL SPECIAL FEATURES

“The Making of Suspiria” Featurette
        “The Secret Language of Dance” Featurette
        “The Transformations of Suspiria” Featurette

CAST

Dakota Johnson Fifty Shades of Grey, The Social Network
        Tilda Swinton Michael Clayton, We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Deep End
        Mia Goth A Cure for Wellness, Everest, The Survivalist
        and Chloí« Grace Moretz The Equalizer, Carrie, Let Me In

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Message to all filmmakers...

Please STOP with the hair!

Comment

• I'm going to see this tomorrow. Behind the curve.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
              I'm going to see this tomorrow. Behind the curve.

Good luck. Go into it, expecting the worst, and you may come out ahead.

I recall, knowing when the end was near, and watching the slow-motion ending sequence, and wondering why that song was playing.

Then, it dragged on more with the character in the film that did not matter at all.

Comment

• It was okay. Swinton was good. It was pretty to look at. It didn't feel 2.5 hours long. I liked the hijacking angle. Aside from that, it was an okay 2 beer flick with some cool scenery.

Comment

• So, no physical 4k release but if you want it digitally, have at it.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-v...ria-4k-amazon/
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Dario Argento slams Suspiria remake: “It betrayed the spirit of the original film”

Not as spicy as Asia's takes, but still. "There is no music." Ouch.
                    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• So I guess that movie of his with Iggy Pop fell apart? Who could have possibly seen that coming?
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• I hate to say it but I couldn't get into the remake because of the pacing. I like slow movies but not when the flow of the movie is constantly interrupted with ancillary characters talking. Constant. Goddamn. Talking. I'd be interested in a fan edit that gets to the point that much sooner and I'm sure it's being worked on as I write this. At least I hope so.

If I had to watch the Suspiria Remake or Friday the 13th Part V: a New Beginning I'd go with a New Beginning.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                          I hate to say it but I couldn't get into the remake because of the pacing. I like slow movies but not when the flow of the movie is constantly interrupted with ancillary characters talking. Constant. Goddamn. Talking. I'd be interested in a fan edit that gets to the point that much sooner and I'm sure it's being worked on as I write this. At least I hope so..
                          I'm usually not a big fan of 'fan edits', but, yeah, a trim, taught 100 minute SUSPIRIA remake might be the exception to the rule. At least 40 minutes of the 152 minute film is taken up with behind the scenes 'intrigue' that never really amounts to much. All you gotta really know is that there is a power struggle in the group. And, the whole connecting it up with the political situation in Germany over the years never really gels, either. Not to mention that folks wanting to see a horror movie don't want a political dirge in the first place.

Comment

• So I kind of fucked this one up... I was waiting for this to get a local digital release but they were dragging their feet and I don't like buying from foreign google play or itunes stores (rent, fine, but not buy). So I thought fuck it and grabbed a stream.

The stream didn't have subs and it turns out a lot of this is in German with smatterings of French to boot. So I was in the dark for a lot of this.

That said I was kind of enjoying the atmos for most of the pic. I like the idea of the ballet being a part of the spell process with the students being unwitting participants. Neat add to the mythos.

That ending though was diabolical. The end of the original is fucking terrible but this one trumped it handily. That red wash that ran over everything was ugly as all hell and it wasn't so much horrific as just supremely tasteless.

Looking forward to buying this when it gets released locally and watching it with subs this time. Watching it without definitely didn't show anything to justify the 140 minute run time but hopefully there's a bit more there when you can understand the dialogue.
                            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Yeah, there definitely is a bit you would have missed without subs, but it's still too long.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Saw this last week

Suspiria (Italy/USA, 2018) [DCP] - 4/5
                                One of the most unique remakes of all time, Luca Guadagnino's bleak, socio-political depiction of feminism in a school of witches in divided late 70s Berlin shadowed by the memory of Nazi war crimes. It's also a deliberation of art and humanity. Almost impossible to digest on one viewing, it's hard to cast the final judgement yet on whether it's deep or just trying, but it is interesting as hell. Decidedly different from Argento's original, it stands firmly on its own two feet except the gory ending where some of Argento's audio-visual bravura might have been welcome after all. Oh, and half of the film is spoken in German, including Jessica Harper's entire role (she doesn't have a single English line).

Comment

Working...
                                X