No announcement yet.

Martin (1977) - George Romero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's pretty amazing historically. But 3.5 hours doesn't sound like an easy watch though!
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

3,5 hours. That's like a mini tv series!! o_O

But interesting for sure. What's the story on it being in b/w? Isn't the film in colour? (yes, I've seen it several times, I even taped it off the BBC in the late 80s but it's been so long I don't even remember if it's b/w or in colour!!!) :cuckoo:
      2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

The released version is in color and black and white.

I'm not sure if this cut is in B&W because of a technical/cost reason or if it was Romero's preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
          The released version is in color and black and white.

I'm not sure if this cut is in B&W because of a technical/cost reason or if it was Romero's preference.
          I recall a Fangoria interview with Romero from the early 90s where he had said he wanted to do the whole movie in black and white, but Rubinstein told him no colour, no movie, so it was done with just some of it in black and white.
          Darcy Parker
          Last edited by Darcy Parker; 11-02-2021, 11:00 PM.

Comment

That makes sense.

Comment

From Second Sight's Facebook page:

"Since the discovery of the longer 'lost' cut of the film we have halted production in the hope there may be some chance of gaining access for our release. We don't know if this is going to be possible but are doing all we can and will have more news in the new year."
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                From Second Sight's Facebook page:

"Since the discovery of the longer 'lost' cut of the film we have halted production in the hope there may be some chance of gaining access for our release. We don't know if this is going to be possible but are doing all we can and will have more news in the new year."
                If they pull it off, I will be importing it!

Comment

The Auction for the long version of Martin has started and is currently at $20,000.

Comment

The Auction for the long version of Martin has started and is currently at $20,000.
                    But what does this exactly mean? Has whoever found the long version (and I'm guessing it is the only existing print of this version) decided to sell it to whoever wants to buy it - instead of getting it released on bluray?

And where is it for sale - eBay?

Comment

The person who has the (allegedly) stolen print was asking for offers but I guess wasn't satisfied so put it up for auction with a legit auction house as part of a Hollywood memorabilia sale. The reoprt says it's in good condition with no vinegar syndrome.

The best we can hope for is that someone altruistic buys it and allows it to be scanned for release. Otherwise some scumbug is going to keep it as their private 'fuck you' object. I hope that person's initials are not QT as it will never be seen outside of his cinema.

https://www.julienslive.com/lot-deta...980_mitch%252C
                      agent999
                      Last edited by agent999; 06-28-2022, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link.

Hmm, it seems they're not quite familiar with the film: "released internationally as Wampyr" - No, it wasn't! The Italians made a version for Italy that used that title. Nobody else did.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                          The best we can hope for is that someone altruistic buys it and allows it to be scanned for release. Otherwise some scumbug is going to keep it as their private 'fuck you' object. I hope that person's initials are not QT as it will never be seen outside of his cinema.
                          I seem recall hearing that some of QT's personal prints of some Brucesploitation titles were scanned for Severin's Brucesploitation box, but I may be misremembering there. I do know that Criterion used his print of The Great Escape for color timing reference for their Blu-ray. (I think they also used Scorsese's print as well.)

But, yes, ideally some one like MoMa or Scorsese buys the damn thing.

Comment

I seem recall hearing that some of QT's personal prints of some Brucesploitation titles were scanned for Severin's Brucesploitation box, but I may be misremembering there. I do know that Criterion used his print of The Great Escape for color timing reference for their Blu-ray. (I think they also used Scorsese's print as well.)

But, yes, ideally some one like MoMa or Scorsese buys the damn thing.
                            That would be great if he did allow Severin access as he supposedly has the only surviving print of The Big Boss Part II which has only ever been shown at his cinema.

Comment

I can not find where I heard/read that QT let them scan some of his prints, so take that with a grain of salt.

Back to Martin, here is The George A Romero Foundation's statement on this print:

Many of our fans, followers, and supporters have reached out to us about the print of MARTIN that is currently for sale. We truly appreciate your concern and diligence, so thank you!

The George A. Romero Foundation (GARF) has reached out to the seller's agent to discuss its acquisition. At this time, it appears that the print will be sold to an individual buyer.

The GARF has also been in contact with those involved with the production of the film to determine exactly what this print may be. This print of MARTIN is a "slop print" - that is, a B&W spliceless duplicate of the workprint used to make corrections in the sound mix. This print was purportedly produced for and exhibited at a theater in New Jersey so that the production company (Braddock Associates) could apply for funding for its completion and eventual distribution.

This print made its way to its current owners through the location scouting process for DAWN OF THE DEAD. Regardless of physical ownership, this print may not be exhibited, as the intellectual property is owned by New Amsterdam Entertainment.

This cut of MARTIN does, however, have intrinsic scholarly value. It is our hope that this print may ultimately be installed within the University of Pittsburgh Library System's (ULS) George A. Romero Archival Collection.

The print needs to be properly transferred so that it can be viewed without the risk of its destruction. The celluloid itself then needs to be meticulously preserved. The ULS has both the capability and the desire to do so.

We sincerely hope that the buyer will consider donating the film to the collection so that it may be added to the enormous body of work already there.

That's all the information we can share at this time. As always, please stay tuned for new developments and of course -- Stay Scared!

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post

That would be great if he did allow Severin access as he supposedly has the only surviving print of The Big Boss Part II which has only ever been shown at his cinema.
                                No, there is at least one more print in Africa, a print that was owned by "Global" (a well known seller/video label guy in South Africa). He sold it to a cinema (also in Africa) a few yrs back. He uploaded ten minutes from his print to youtube (of course I have no way of knowing if QT bought his print from the African cinema!!)
                                Also, is QT's print in Chinese with English and Chinese subs? Because if it *isn't* it means there are at least three prints. Some "brucespolitation" site posted screen grabs from a print that has subs. Several years ago, I asked them about it, but they ignored my question as to where they got it or who owned it.
                                In any case it's very annoying we can't get to see this film. I've written about it on my blog for ten years now.

Comment

Working...
                                X