No announcement yet.

Martin (1977) - George Romero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can live with the 16:9 framing, this is a nice disc. PQ-wise It looks better than both the Anchor Bay and Lionsgate disc with better resolved grain. Not bad for an old scan of a film that was shot in 16mm. It will do for now until we get a new version (if we ever do).

The standard version comes in a sturdy case with a booklet, four postcards and a mini reproduction of the UK theatrical poster.
    agent999
    Last edited by agent999; 12-27-2018, 09:07 AM.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Diabolik has the Japanese Blu in stock. The description lists a bonus 4X3 version in SD. Crazy expensive, though: $54.99!
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Second Sight has confirmed on Facebook that they've licensed the this and, the previously hinted at, Dawn of the Dead
        We're incredibly excited to officially announce our acquisition of George A Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD and MARTIN for UK Blu-ray and VOD following a licensing deal with New Amsterdam Entertainment. We will be releasing later this year and have a lot planned. More details to follow in coming weeks, keep watching this space...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-_Users_ian_Desktop_mart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	355676
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Name:	martin.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	359784
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Cool news, but it would be far better if we had any sniff of a US release of Martin and Dawn. (I give up on asking for North American releases, since it's getting to be a total joke to get anything actually distributed in Canada.)

Comment

So I'd like to see another box set first of all: Romero cut 1.37, cropped, Wampyr cut, soundtrack cd, Goblin Wampyr soundtrack cd, novelization etc.

I'd like to see an HD version of the Italian Wampyr version, and my copy of the novelization is falling apart so a reprint would be welcome. Due to its general neglect in recent years this is more interesting to me than the Dawn release was.
                agent999
                Last edited by agent999; 04-23-2021, 11:30 AM.
                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

After the success of Dawn I can see why they'd go 4K on this (even though I believe the format is stillborn, some big genre titles will still sell well enough to release on UHD disc.)

Comment

I hope they include the Wampyr cut. It's not a very good version, but it's there and I want it on blu-ray. The ghosting on Wampyr on the old Arrow dvd is just crazy.
                    2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Name:	martin.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	360345
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I didn't like this when I saw it years ago, I think I should revisit due to all of the love it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                          I didn't like this when I saw it years ago, I think I should revisit due to all of the love it gets.
                          It's worth a revisit, Mark. I wasn't too keen on this when I first saw it (early 90s, I think - on BBC2's Moviedrome), probably because at the time I was expecting something closer to DAWN OF THE DEAD, but it's grown on me over the years.
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Paul, that's when I tried to watch it as well, and had similar expectations.

Comment

You really should revisit it, Mark. It's one hell of a bleak and disturbing film. Every time I go back to it, I am blown away by how good it is - but, be warned, it will follow you around for a while after.
                              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Hugh news (if true), it seems the 3.5 hour black and white version of Martin has been found!

Comment

Working...
                                X