Martin (1977) - George Romero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin (1977) - George Romero

Does anyone know if this masterpiece is ever going to get a blu ray release? Is Arrow planning on releasing it? That DVD from Lion's Gate is disappointing because they cropped the image to 1.78 and, although I've never seen it, the Arrow DVD from several years ago is supposed to be defective in some way (something to do with a botched audio track, I think) and I'm pretty sure it's OOP. The only version I currently own is the VHS from Thorn EMI. I had the Anchor Bay VHS, but I left it at a girlfriend's apartment and, once we broke up, I never saw it again. I stupidly sold the Lion's Gate DVD because I hated that they cropped it, and now that one's OOP. I need a decent copy of this film!
    Matt H.
    Last edited by Matt H.; 08-10-2016, 10:38 PM.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

I liked the opening and I liked the ending. That's about it. I don't think Romero really found himself as a filmmaker until the 80's. Watching Dawn is still kind of rough for me to watch. Dawn is pretty inconsistent until we finally get to the mall.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I know that Arrow said the materials weren't good enough for a Blu Ray release at the time, but now they no longer have the rights. Apparently Rubinstein wants unrealistic money to licence Dawn, so perhaps the asking price for Martin is too high? The Lionsgate DVD said it was from an HD master, so perhaps it is only available in that cropped version which no one wants to put out?

Very annoying as I love this movie and would like to see a Blu Ray.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
        Apparently Rubinstein wants unrealistic money to licence Dawn, so perhaps the asking price for Martin is too high?
        I believe this is true, which is a shame. MARTIN's not just one of Romero's best films (sorry, Alex) but a very important picture of the 1970s, imo - a real turning point for the vampire picture. I'd love to see a Blu-ray with Romero's version and the WAMPYR cut too.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
          I liked the opening and I liked the ending. That's about it. I don't think Romero really found himself as a filmmaker until the 80's. Watching Dawn is still kind of rough for me to watch. Dawn is pretty inconsistent until we finally get to the mall.
          I love DAWN, but one thing that I noticed the last time I watched it is how tame it seems now. I was really surprised. I think it's probably due to "The Walking Dead" showing graphic zombie gore on TV for the last 6 years.

My favourite Romero film these days is DAY OF THE DEAD, a fascinating movie that I'm actually kind of obsessed with. It started when I read Romero's original script on-line. I think for his final film, he should remake DAY using his original script, and bring back Savini and Nicotero to provide all-prosthetic FX.

I think his most underrated movie is MONKEY SHINES. It's just an excellent thriller.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            I think his most underrated movie is MONKEY SHINES. It's just an excellent thriller.
            MONKEY SHINES is excellent. When the US DVD was released, I hadn't seen it for years and had forgotten just how good it was.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
              I believe this is true, which is a shame. MARTIN's not just one of Romero's best films (sorry, Alex) but a very important picture of the 1970s, imo - a real turning point for the vampire picture. I'd love to see a Blu-ray with Romero's version and the WAMPYR cut too.
              Not only was it a turning point for the vampire picture, but also for the serial killer picture. The psychosexual elements were way ahead of their time, and treated with an unusual sensitivity.

Comment

For me MARTIN is a Masterpiece.
                I've got the Arrow DVD and I'm quite happy with it.

I'm not sure it can look any better.

Comment

I think MARTIN is a masterpiece as well, just under NOTLD for me, probably Romero's best film on an emotional level.

Comment

I suspect Arrow may be making an announcement about this one next week, given that they just sent this out on twitter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	353704
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

ABOUT FUCKING TIME! That would make my year.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                        ABOUT FUCKING TIME! That would make my year.
                        Yeah!!!

Comment

Jared from Mondo Macabro seems to think it is a clue for Jose Larraz's Vampyres because he knows they have a couple of his films.

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time that Arrow left me with blue balls.

Comment

So it could just be plastic vampire teeth and not a reference to Romero's film? Damn.

Comment

Working...
                              X