X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Video - American Horror Project

I am intrigued.

http://www.americanhorrorproject.com/

"Everyone knows the classic American horror titles: Night of the Living Dead, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and A Nightmare on Elm Street, these films remain some of the USA's most celebrated genre efforts - known the world over, their production histories well-documented, the films preserved for posterity in any number of lavish DVD and Blu-ray releases.

But we want to tell you a different story. A story of the unsung heroes of American horror cinema - films from the USA's golden age of terror which, for a multitude reasons, have either slipped through the cracks or never gained the recognition they so richly deserve. Films that aren't mentioned by movie fans in the same hushed tones of reverence as The Exorcist or Halloween - but are every bit as bold, bloody and bizarre as their more famous counterparts.

Arrow Video's American Horror Project, the first volume of which will be released Feb 22nd (UK) and 23rd (US) 2016, is our commitment to bringing those lesser-known efforts of US genre cinema back into the limelight where they belong. Whether it's a film that has languished in obscurity for far too long, or a movie that is at risk of being lost forever due to lack of usable materials, American Horror Project is here to ensure that these unique slices of the American Nightmare are brought back into the public consciousness and preserved for all to enjoy. Pleasant dreams…"
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Colour me interested! :)
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Yeah, this sounds extremely interesting. Hope we get some really rare and strange films. I'm guessing most of the better known obscurities already have US license holders, so this could potentially mean Arrow have dug up some of the more unknown films. Time to get out Nightmare USA again and start dreaming.

Comment

It most certainly WOULD be nice if they were to come up with some REALLY rare stuff that hasn't been heavily released before...

“In much the same way that Stephen Thrower's landmark study NIGHTMARE USA told an alternative history of the independent horror film during the 1970s and 80s, Arrow's Horror Project aims to shine a light on a number of innovative and provocative films made during this period that for whatever reason, have been allowed to languish, under-appreciated and waiting to be rediscovered.
        The majority of these films haven't been seen for many years, and none of them will have ever been remastered for Blu-ray before. In some cases, they will have only been available on VHS!
        So for every one of our titles, we'll be restoring these films from scratch, seeking out the best existing source elements and (whenever possible) involving the original filmmakers to ensure that the films can be seen at the highest quality and in most historically accurate presentations possible. In many cases this may mean extensive detective work and piecing the films back together from a number of separate elements, given the lack of care that some of these titles suffered back in the day. Most of these films will never appear pristine, but viewed in the context of the Horror Project, will reflect their own unique production and distribution histories in a way that they've never been afforded before.
        This was an incredibly prolific and creative period of independent filmmaking and Arrow's Horror Project seeks to rescue these important films from being lost to cinema history forever.”

-James White, Head of Technical and Restoration Services at Arrow Video
        Sounds Awesome.

Comment

Oh hell yeah. If they're taking their cues from Nightmare USA then this could be some good shit. Will we finally see a definitive release of PIGS?

Comment

Over at the Blu-ray.com forums, someone posted confirmation that one of the films is Malatesta's Carnival of Blood

Comment

Another speculation from the Bluray forum is Scream Bloody Murder. Apparently one of the faces on the Arrow banner is from the poster.

Comment

wait ... so (pretty soon) arrow video is specializing in the more obscure american horror sh*t as well ?!?

game over crazy bill!

Comment

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                  Another speculation from the Bluray forum is Scream Bloody Murder. Apparently one of the faces on the Arrow banner is from the poster.
                  Whoever made that call has a good eye!

Click image for larger version

Name:	am.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	349349

Click image for larger version

Name:	scream_bloody_murder_poster_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	349350
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yep, has anyone seen the film? Or Malatesta's Carnival of Blood for that matter? Both sound intriguing from the descriptions I've read.

Comment

I love SCREAM BLOODY MURDER, but that's been a VCI property for eons, if I'm not mistaken. Would LOVE to see a spiffy transfer, but I won't hold my breath for a longer, gorier cut, as I don't believe the extra footage exists anymore.

Comment

SCREAM BLOODY MURDER is lots of fun, not to be confused with Robert J Emory's MY BROTHER HAS BAD DREAMS (which would ALSO be quite welcome on dvd/ blu). SBM has the kid w/ the hook hand who kills people in a house so he can live there. Takes a goofy left turn after that as he kidnaps an artist/hooker he's smitten with. THE COLLECTOR-style thrills abound, and Angus Scrimm (as Rory Guy) shows up.
                        MALATESTA did have a dvd release. The visuals were great but I don't remember too much else.
                        The guy on the far right of the Arrow banner is Richard Lynch, from THE PREMONITION which also had a dvd release (and is still available on Amazon). The two faces on the left look very familiar but I can't place them.

Comment

Another fan of Scream Bloody Murder for the reasons already mentioned.

I liked Maletesta's Carnival Of Blood too. It didn't blow me away and Herve is underused but it's still pretty neat... trippy even.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

We'll probably (hopefully) get to know the titles tomorrow, as Arrow have another one of their big announcements. If I understand them correctly, they'll announce UK only titles today and US/UK, as well as US only, tomorrow. Most are probably known from the postcards, but I'm still hoping for some surprises. The one teased US only release is the most exciting one for me. Lots of UK morons whining that the US will get exclusive titles, but I just can't grasp this line of thinking. So they'd rather see a potentially interesting title not released at all if Arrow can't get the rights for UK? That sounds absolutely batshit insane to me.

Comment

Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
                              We'll probably (hopefully) get to know the titles tomorrow, as Arrow have another one of their big announcements. If I understand them correctly, they'll announce UK only titles today and US/UK, as well as US only, tomorrow. Most are probably known from the postcards, but I'm still hoping for some surprises. The one teased US only release is the most exciting one for me. Lots of UK morons whining that the US will get exclusive titles, but I just can't grasp this line of thinking. So they'd rather see a potentially interesting title not released at all if Arrow can't get the rights for UK? That sounds absolutely batshit insane to me.
                              People like to bitch about things, I think that's all there is to it. If they're that concerned they could get a region free player.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X