Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Christmas Seasons Grieving's Edition/Shout Factory Special Edition Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, this is why I pity companies who sell nerdy stuff. Always the hoards of butthurt "fans" complaining whatever you do. Boo, this is not a new scan from the OCN! Oh, it is? Well... Boo, this doesn't have original mono! Oh, it has? But it's the wrong ratio! Boo, you ruin everything!

Comment

Has anyone here viewed the new Black Christmas bd? Three or four br.com members are saying the mono track is hissy. SF replied to someone that the track they had wasn't in the best of shape... It's hard to tell over there if people are making a mountain out of a molehill or it's a real issue.

Comment

It's pretty awful based on this low fi phone clip.
        Probably sounds worse on a good system.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAAH...ature=youtu.be
        https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

How could a "good system" make something sound worse than a "low fi phone clip"? Recording the movie plus the ambience of the room isn't going to make a quality recording (I do that all the time for noise-work).

I dug out my dvd last night to watch & some of the dialogue on it has some 'hissy' sounds but it could have been only there because I was listening for it. Seems like if the new disc is so fucked then the distortion would be on everything especially loud sounds like when he's screaming in the attic or the piano smashing...? My copy will, hopefully, be shipped out later in the week from Deep Discount.
          Keeth
          Last edited by Keeth; 12-04-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Well, I cancelled my preorder. I can't justify paying for something that sounds that bad. Bummed that it turned out this way.

Comment

I just can't justify buying this again on Blu-ray when I've already bought it twice in the format, even if the video quality is slightly better (or so I gather from screen caps).

Comment

Replacement discs confirmed:

Hi Smegma,

We will be offering a replacement (Disc 1 only) of our Blu-ray release of BLACK CHRISTMAS which will include the original mono audio track as it was presented on prior releases of the film on DVD and Blu-ray.

Instructions to receive this replacement disc are as follows:

Send an email to our customer service department @ info@shoutfactory.com
                Please include “BLACK CHRISTMAS REPLACEMENT PROGRAM” in the subject line.
                Please provide your first and last name and the mailing address in which you would like the disc sent to. No other copy is needed.
                Must provide proof of purchase (photo of receipt or online order will do) in the body of the email.
                You will not receive a shipment confirmation. Also, please note that due to the high volume of inquires we will not be able to respond to each email personally.
                Replacement discs are expected to ship in January 2017 and as soon as we receive them. No tracking numbers will be assigned.

We'd like to also take this time to address the fans that brought this to our attention and explain more in detail as to why our mono audio track for Black Christmas sounded so rough. Unfortunately, we were not able to find a mag track, only an optical track, which is not an ideal source for this kind of work. However, based on earlier customer feedback who hoped for lossless mono audio, we decided to include the mono audio track with minimal processing and compression. The was a decision made with the best of intentions and the hope of providing the most authentic film presentation, but the hissy sibilance of the optical track proved to be too extreme and took away from the viewing experience. We're sorry for the frustration it may have caused. We have explored all options to correct the problem that fit within our resources and have concluded that the best solution was to use the mono audio track originally released on the Critical Mass DVD.

Much thanks for your patience and continued support. And we look forward to bringing you more great retro films in 2017.
                Customer Service
                Shout! Factory
                2034 Armacost Ave., 1st Floor
                Los Angeles, CA 90025
                info@shoutfactory.com

Comment

Is Smegma your full name? Just like Prince or Cher?
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

That's good news. I just received B.C. & sent them an email.

I took a quick look & listen: the image looks nice & the mono track is pretty nasty. The 2.0 track sounds fine. I'll watch it Xmas night with that track if I can hold out until then.
                    Keeth
                    Last edited by Keeth; 12-14-2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Hmm, I don't suppose they will do a recall of all released stock for this? Wonder if we filthy foreigners can also get the replacement disc.

Comment

My replacement disc showed up today so I'll check it out tonight.

On Xmas night I watched it with the stereo track & thought that sounded just fine. The movie looks good, too.

Comment

I wanted to buy the Shout! blu but I knew about the soundtrack issue, so I made the guy at the store open it up so I could check for the V2 on the actual disc; sure enough, it was the old, uncorrected disc. Does anybody know if there's a way to tell if it's the corrected version without having to look at the disc? Somewhere on the packaging maybe?
                          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

101 Films have this slated for release in the UK later in the year with the following extras (which look to be the same as the Shout! Blu-ray):

• Audio Commentary with director Bob Clark
                            • Audio Commentary with actors John Saxon and Keir Dullea
                            • Audio Commentary with Billy (actor Nick Mancuso)
                            • Audio interview with director Bob Clark
                            • NEW Film and Furs - Remembering Black Christmas with Art Hindle
                            • NEW Victims and Virgins - Remembering Black Christmas with Lynne Griffin
                            • Black Christmas Legacy
                            • 40th Anniversary Panel at FanExpo 2014 featuring John Saxon, Art Hindle, Lynne Griffin & Nick Mancuso
                            • On Screen!: Black Christmas featurette
                            • 12 Days of Black Christmas featurette
                            • Black Christmas Revisited featurette
                            • Archival Interviews with Olivia Hussey, Art Hindle, Margot Kidder, Bob Clark, & John Saxon
                            • Midnight Screening Q&A with Bob Clark, John Saxon and Carl Zittrer
                            • Original Theatrical Trailers (English and French)
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Zavvi exclusive steelbook coming from 101 Films in December.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EG8TrJwXkAACDR7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	356887
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Love it.
                                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Working...