No announcement yet.

31 days of Horror (2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales From the Hood is underrated as fuck. Probably put it in my top 5 for horror anthologies.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• American Gothic (1988) - I don't know why more people don't jock this movie, or why it's never gotten a good blu-ray or even a decent DVD release (only one is bootleggish and looks nicked straight from the VHS). I bust this out every year or so; it's easily one of my favorite of the 'backwoods family' slasher-type flicks. Good performances by Rod Steiger and Yvonne De Carlo as the 'old-fashioned' parents of a lunatic trio of adult kids. There's definitely some '80s cheese going on (mullets, big sweaters), but the genuinely creepy and disturbing parts more than make up for it and create an actual serious horror flick.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
        American Gothic (1988) - I don't know why more people don't jock this movie, or why it's never gotten a good blu-ray or even a decent DVD release (only one is bootleggish and looks nicked straight from the VHS). I bust this out every year or so; it's easily one of my favorite of the 'backwoods family' slasher-type flicks. Good performances by Rod Steiger and Yvonne De Carlo as the 'old-fashioned' parents of a lunatic trio of adult kids. There's definitely some '80s cheese going on (mullets, big sweaters), but the genuinely creepy and disturbing parts more than make up for it and create an actual serious horror flick.
        Is that the film where someone gets on a swing and ends up going off a cliff? If so I enjoyed it years ago when I rented it on VHS.

I watched

Hillbilly Horror show vol 4-1 1/2 hours of short horror films hosted by 2 guys in their trailerhome. Pretty decent. With only one short being bad.

Forbidden Transmission Zombified episode-Taken to sitting out on my pier for an hour or so each evening to help me relax. Watched this while out their earlier. Really good episode.

Comment

• 1-Frogs 6.5
          2-Castle Of Blood 10
          3-Beyond The Door 3
          4-Planet of The Vampires 8
          5-Daughters Of Darkness 10
          6-Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things 8
          7-The Suicide Club(Chevy Mystery Theater) 3
          8-Christmas Evil ack!
          9-The Black Abbot(1963) 10
          10-Eaten Alive(76) 3.5
          11-Strangler Of Blackmoor Castle 10
          12-The Mad Executioners 6.5
          13-Lady Frankenstein 8
          14-Night Of The Skull 4
          15-Catman Of Paris 4
          16-Curse Of The Stone Hand 4
          17-The Blood Spattered Bride 6.5
          18-An Evening With Edgar Allan Poe 5.5
          19-Death Smiles At Murder 3.5
          20-Horror Hotel 10
          "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• THE GALLOWS (2015) - I'm not always opposed to found footage based horror films but in this case it really hampers this one. The kid doing the filming is one of the most obnoxious, abrasive motherfuckers I've ever had the misfortune of watching in a movie. I wanted the hangman to string his ass up from the get-go. Aside from that, this film would have just benefited from a straight forward narrative told in the usual way. There's a pretty interesting and possibly effective story to be told here - the ghost of a student who was accidentally hung during a play haunts the theater - but this one fails to execute this with any flair. Could have been really creepy but falls back on cheap jump scares and shocks. Not horrible but very very by-the-numbers and forgettable.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Blood Diner
              Source-Lionsgate DVD

Yeah I know the above cover is the German release from Dragon. The same image is used on the menu of the Lionsgate release I own.

Blood Diner is a kind of sequel to Blood Feast. Two nephews of the lead from Blood Feast,with his name and death changed a bit,dig up his body. And by making a feast for Sheetar they can bring the uncle back.

This is one I saw when it hit video years ago,mostly cause of the good reviews it was getting in lots of the horror mags I was reading.And I remember seeing it a bunch syndicated on various local channels late night slots.Kept hearing for years that a "Loaded dvd version with all kinds of extras Boz" was coming out. It so far hasn't. Few years back this quietly at first slipped out on a 6 film pack. No extras,just the film.

That pack at least in my area is still easy to find for $5,so it is worth grabbing for that price. If you love the Hershall Gordon Lewis Gore films this is a must see.

Blood Diner gets a B-.

Started up The Green Inferno last night and finished it about 20 minutes ago.

Comment

• I started BLOOD DINER the other day and gave up at the flash-forward. I liked the kids, though, so I'll probably try again. Weren't there Life magazines within the first minutes, or was that something else?

THE HAUNTED STRANGLER (Robert Day, 1958). Karloff thinks they hanged the wrong Haymarket Strangler twenty years ago, but the police just think he's nuts. Who's right? (And who brings a knife to a strangling?) A little slow for its tricksiness, but it's got charm, atmosphere, and Karloff and lovely black and white. With Newgate prison, apple-eating, can-can dancehall girls, champagne indignities, graverobbing, and a cheerful scullery recital of The Ratcatcher's Daughter. The Criterion DVD is fullscreen and very open; imdb says 1.66:1, and it does look okay even at tv's 16:9.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                  I started BLOOD DINER the other day and gave up at the flash-forward. I liked the kids, though, so I'll probably try again. Weren't there Life magazines within the first minutes, or was that something else?
                  I think there was a Life magazine. I was kind of distracted while watching it this time.Mary had never seen it and I was explaining parts of it to her.

My kind of rambling review of the Friday the 13th tv series.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                    Is that the film where someone gets on a swing and ends up going off a cliff? If so I enjoyed it years ago when I rented it on VHS.
                    That's the one. It's by no means a great classic or anything, but I think it's well above average for a backwoods slasher. The baby still gives me the creeps to this day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                      I started BLOOD DINER the other day and gave up at the flash-forward. I liked the kids, though, so I'll probably try again. Weren't there Life magazines within the first minutes, or was that something else?
                      I have this on the $5 DVD set - definitely worth that. I don't know if I need an HD version of this thing, haha. I had a friend who was nuts about this movie for some reason.

Comment

• Black Exorcism AKA The Bloody Exorcism of Coffin Joe: been meaning to watch this forever. Coffin Joe is a little hit and miss for me but I haven't seen the first two films in quite some times and may need to revisit them. LOVE Awakening of the Beast and I liked Embodiment of Evil. I need to see The Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures too. Anywho, Black Exorcism takes the meta route by focusing on Jose Mojica Marins as himself dealing with the entity of Coffin Joe terrorizing himself and his family. In a move that predates flicks such as: Deadline, Cat in the Brain, and Wes Craven's New Nightmare. It's odd but doesn't capture the same intensity of the main Coffin Joe films.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
                          That's the one. It's by no means a great classic or anything, but I think it's well above average for a backwoods slasher. The baby still gives me the creeps to this day.
                          I had no idea it was out on DVD.Might have to look around for a copy of it. Thanks for reminding it even exists.

Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
                          I have this on the $5 DVD set - definitely worth that. I don't know if I need an HD version of this thing, haha. I had a friend who was nuts about this movie for some reason.
                          Oh yeah that set is worth the $5 for just Blood Diner. Then you got what Fido,Earth Girls are Easy and something else I remember being pretty good.

Short piece with lots of pics I wrote about Gore Shriek the comic

I recently got scans of every issue. But have owned a good percentage of them for years. Was showing a friend the art and covers from the scans and thought "hey why not do a short piece of this. Since most people either never heard of the series or have forgotten about it."

Just threw on Zombie Night a mid 2000s low budget zombie flick. Came on a 10 movies on 2 discs set that I dropped $5 on. Bought it cause I have been wanting the horror anthology Fright Club on DVD.

Comment

• Office Killer
                            Source-Echo Bridge Midnight Horror DVD

This is a mid 90s Miramax thriller/horror film. Carol Kane has worked in this one office since she was in her late teens. Jeanne Tripplehorn is her boss and Molly Ringwald is one of her co-workers. To save money the company installs a computer in Kane's home and she can now work from home. But all isn't right. Kane's father died when she was young. In a car accident that also paralyzed her mother.

As the film goes we get to see Kane progressively get crazier and crazier. And also learn that she was the cause of the car wreck that killed her dad.

I have always liked Carol Kane since first seeing her on Taxi. Jeanne Tripplehorn to me is a very under rated actress who does really good at dramatic roles. And while I was never big into the John Hughs 80s movies with Molly Ringwald,I have found her post Hughs work to be really good. She is great as the bitchy co worker that trashes everyone behind their backs.

There is a bit of gore in some of the kills. And the film really feels like part of the early 90s "Fill in the blank from hell" IE The Hand that Rocks the cradle is the nanny from hell. Single White Female is the Roommate from hell. And Office Killer is the Co-worker from hell.

Since this pack is 8 films spread over 2 dvds for $5 it is worth paying that much just for Office Killer. And there is at least 2 other good movies in this pack.

Office Killer gets a C.

Just started up Raising Cain. I do not think I have seen this since opening weekend. I remember really enjoying it.

Comment

• Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                              1. Hellraiser Revelations
                              2. Jaws
                              3. Chopping Mall
                              4. Knock Knock
                              5. Toxic Avenger
                              6. Hallowed Ground
                              7. Ouija Exorcism
                              8. LAKE PLACID VS ANACONDA

LAKE PLACID VS ANACONDA (2015)

Another Sci-Fi sequel....so you should know what you are going to get....This one is livened a LITTLE by the appearance of FREDDY himself..Robert Englund...but cant rescue it from the shoddy FX and bad direction / semi serious style that the majority of Sci Fi productions suffer from!!!

Werewolves on Wheels (1971)

Felt like watching a slightly older movie..This one is Easy Rider vs Satanists ..not as good as it shouldnhave been(too much pading for such a short film)but has some moments of goodness(cat sacrifice for example is funny) and plenty of (slightly restrained) Hells Angels stylle antics to amuse..

Comment

• If you watch The Exorcism of Molly Hartley, you're an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                                X