No announcement yet.

31 days of Horror (2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxi Hunter (1993): I thought I had seen all of the prime Anthony Wong CAT III flicks but this one fell below my radar. I thought I had seen it but like someone on here said, these movies start to bleed together after a while. In this flick, Anthony Wong plays a loving husband in a world filled with corrupt taxi drivers. His pregnant wife is killed by said drivers and he goes out for revenge. Wong is up to his usual talents and plays a likable character which is kind of rare in his career. The film has some very good gun-fu going on in the first 10 minutes but it's your usual CAT III sleaze-fest with the tropes you expect: comic relief side characters, sassy ladies, prostitutes, Anthony Wong going insane, police officers who aren't much better than the one's in Last House on the Left, an oddly cruel world where every-day people are incredibly rude and are prone to violence.

I thought this was pretty good. Doesn't quite reach the highs of Untold Story or Ebola Syndrome or Underground Banker. But doesn't have the creepiness of the underrated 3 Days of a Blind Girl (which is I think a CAT II flick).

This is one of those CAT III movies where you wonder if the shit being depicted in this flick is a real problem over in HK/China or is it just exaggerated.

I know I kind of skipped out on this thread in the last week. I've been so tired after coming back from work I just don't have the energy to watch a good flick and most of my stock pile are made up of flicks that require that mental energy.
    Alex K.
    Last edited by Alex K.; 12-15-2016, 03:51 AM.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• I should re-watch Messiah of Evil. It's another flick I haven't seen in over 10 years. Maybe as a Halloween night flick?

Comment

• Zombie Apocalyse (2011)

Even Ving Rhanes cant save this Asylum nonesense obviously 'inspired' by the Walking Dead and World War Z (overseas title actually WORLD WAR ZOMBIE..wasnt brave enough to try and get away with that title in the States I think!!!)
        Anyhow..bad cgi...lame story and cheap production..in other words typical Asylum

American Guinea Pig

Absolutely abysmal...lame copy of the infamous Gujnea Pig..but with less skill...story doesnt make sense (if they are making a snuff movie for someone..why they film themselves guving direction talking to the editor etc etc?? Also..why filming in super 8 that keeps running out??..modern digital cameras would give better picture and easier to use )..the One guy who speaks has an annoying voice AND says the stupidest things....the gore is pretty much on the same level as the original Guinea Pig from 20 years ago...but done without the professionalism...
        Absolutely hated it..waste of my timw and the ending???...tries hard to shock in a Sebiian Movie kind of way..but just laughable...

Comment

• WE ARE STILL HERE (Ted Geoghegan, 2015). Winter 1979, rural New York state south of the lake, and Barbara Crampton moves into a house with a history in a weird fucking town, goes in the basement. Larry Fessenden and Lisa Marie play aging hippies; special effects tend towards Pittsburgh black. Features Miskatonic namedropping in the newspaper credit crawl, and the Scotch bottle says B&J, haha. I liked this a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
            WE ARE STILL HERE (Ted Geoghegan, 2015). Winter 1979, rural New York state south of the lake, and Barbara Crampton moves into a house with a history in a weird fucking town, goes in the basement. Larry Fessenden and Lisa Marie play aging hippies; special effects tend towards Pittsburgh black. Features Miskatonic namedropping in the newspaper credit crawl, and the Scotch bottle says B&J, haha. I liked this a lot.
            I mentioned that somewhere in this thread. I didn't care for it too much, wish Crampton had more to do in it. I did get a bit of a Fulci zombie vibe from the way those ghosts pop up all over the place and kill in pretty gruesome ways. Not a total loss. I didn't even notice that about the "B&J" scotch, haha.

MY LITTLE EYE (2001) - It's THE REAL WORLD as you always wanted to see it, with the cast getting bumped off one by one. A group of annoying folk stay in an isolated country house wired up with webcams for a chance to win a million bucks. The sponsor seems to know an awful lots about their pasts and weird things start to happen. This one is pretty creepy in spots and manages to be surprisingly chilling. One of the better (and early) found footage films. Bradley Cooper pops up in an early role and is just as annoying as he is today. A fairly effective decapitation and a nice, bleak ending. I have a soft spot for this one.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I remember renting MY LITTLE EYE back when it came out I liked it quite a bit. May have to revisit it.

Comment

• Population 436
                Source-Mill Creek Where Evil Lies DVD set

Made in 2006 sometime in 2008 I was flipping channels and saw the last 10 minutes of this film on one of the movie channels. I liked what I saw and pulled up the onscreen info. Saw that Fred Durst was one of the main stars.Thought to myself "Well Limp Biscuit was total crap. I kind of doubt Durst is a good actor. I will just skip this movie."

Then it was late last year. I saw the Mill Creek Where Evil Lies set in the $5 bin.I looked at the back to see what 6 movies made up the set. Saw Population 436 and another that sounded decent. So I grabbed the set. But like what happens lots of time when I buy these cheap multi-film sets I end up throwing it on my shelf and never watching it.

I had no idea what I was gonna watch for my movie today. Then I remembered Population 436. Threw it in and was surprised at how good the film is. Jeremy Sisto is the lead. A man that works for the government. And is sent to the town of Rockwell Falls. To learn why the population of the town has stayed at 436 for over 100 years.

He gets to the town and it is like Mayberry come to life. With Fred Durst as a meathead Andy Griffth. Actually honestly Durst does a damn good job as the town Deputy. I haven't heard of him doing any more acting. Which is kind of sad cause his acting is way better than his singing.

Over the course of the films 1 1/2 hour running time we start seeing more and more how the town is just a bit off. Then in the final 20 minutes we learn why the town is so peaceful and why the population has stayed the same for so long.

The film is a nice blending of a mystery and a horror film. And isn't super gory or violent. Hell I am not really sure why it got an R rating. If you know someone that loves a good mystery this is a film they would enjoy.

Population 436 gets a B-.

Comment

• Leprechaun 2 (1994) - Probably the most low-key of the series without the novelty of being someone like Jennifer Aniston's first film or the gimmick setting of Vegas, Space or the hood but a blast to watch nonetheless. Shevonne Durkin might be one of the most awkward actress to have ever stepped in front of a camera but does it really matter in this case? The guy getting steamed to death by an espresso machine is a series highlight, great gore effect on that one.
                  LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• I'm a little late in the game and I usually watch ones I haven't seen before. Have to say it's been a pretty good month as I liked the majority of them, but the ones in the bold are the ones I dug the most:

1. Fascination (1979)
                    2. Dumplings (2004)
                    3. Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973)
                    4. The Evictors (1979)
                    5. Housebound (2014)
                    6. The Vampires Coffin (1958)
                    7. Birth of the Living Dead (2013)
                    8. The Hidden (1987)
                    9. Stake Land (2010)
                    10. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
                    11. The Beast (1975)
                    12. The Final Girls (2015)
                    13. Angst (1983)
                    14. Gamera vs. Barugon (1966)
                    15. Girls Nite Out (1982)
                    16. Crimson Peak (2015)
                    17. Back Devil Doll From Hell (1984)
                    18. Rocktober Blood (1984)
                    19. Graveyard Shift (1990)
                    20. WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
                    Terry C
                    Tiger Fists
                    Last edited by Terry C; 10-25-2015, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• 1989 French art horror film about a killer dog told largely from the perspective of the dog. Is the dog the result of a genetic experiment? Is it Dracula's Dog? Possessed by a demon? Does it piss on Freddy's grave? Nope. The dog is a serial killer. Very, very obscure little film. Very well done. Put this on your watch lists folks and underline it.

Comment

• I watched BABYSITTER WANTED, THE CARRIER, & Pete Walker's FRIGHTMARE yesterday. The Carrier is only film I had not previously seen & boy, is it nuts! BW is okay. The first half is better than House of the Devil but after things are revealed, I lost interest. I haven't seen HOTD in a while so can't exactly remember its ending other than the weird looking old woman which would have been creepier if they had just used a real haggard old woman. FM is a good one & well worth the $7.99 (including shipping) I paid for the blu.

I thought for sure the story behind The Carrier would be that it was produced by a church or a preacher who sold a small town on making a religious film: " I have some money but we can't afford costumes so bring rope & plastic bags. For props, bring anything sharp from your barns. And cats. Bring your spare cats." The film looks like it was made in the late '60s without trying. I couldn't believe it's from 1987 (or so)!
                        Keeth
                        Last edited by Keeth; 10-25-2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Masters of Horror Season 1 Episode Dance of the Dead
                          Source-Anchor Bay Blu Ray

When this first aired I missed it. I recorded it and didn't see it for at least a month. All the reviews I read were calling it horrible and "another dud from one hit wonder Tobe Hooper". Now I believe Mr Hooper has had way more than one good film. So when I did sit down to watch it I was ready for it to be horrible or be great.

Set in the near future. After some kind of biological war. Our lead is a teenage girl. She works at her mother's diner. And one day meets some older boys. Who invite her to come out partying with them that night. They want her to come with them to the city and goto a club. But of course her mother doesn't want her to go.

She ends up going. The club they goto is ran by Robert Englund. Who using electric shocks causes zombie like people to "dance" on the stage. We find out these "zombies" need blood to live. And the two boys that brought our lead to the club have been providing that blood to Robert. Then a dancer comes out who our lead girl knows. It is her older sister. The one her mother had told her had died.

Our lead ends up confronting Englund about this right around the time her mother shows up to drag her back home. We find out that the sister got hooked on hard drugs,they are everywhere in this near future. So the mother pretty much killed her then sold her undead body to Robert Englund. The film then skips ahead some time. We are back in the club. Our lead is a scumbag like the two boys that took her. And now her mother has become the new lead dancer at the club.

I have always enjoy post apocalyptic fiction. And this film is kind of a new spin on that.Pretty sure this is based on a short story. I need to track it down and see how much is cut or changed in the episode. I do understand why people might not have liked this episode. Coming after 2 or 3 really good episodes it is a a very different type of horror. And lots of the online horror fans seem to either parrot what certain horror podcasts say or for some reason legit believe the only good film Tobe Hooper has done was Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Dance of the Dead gets a C.

Comment

• The Brainiac(61) 10
                            Tentacles 1
                            "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Under the Skin: a slow and ponderous art-horror film. I like the first act but I always somehow fall asleep by the 2nd act and wakeup by the 3rd act. It's good but it's too slow. I like slow movies but I like to see a movie have something happen. I feel like you could edit out about 10-20 minutes of footage and you'd have a leaner film that gets to the point a lot sooner. Good, memorable, but over-long and needed an editor. Which is too bad because the visuals are often stunning.

Comment

• THE HOUSES OCTOBER BUILT (2014) - Here's a great concept (and perfect for Halloween viewing) - some friends hop in an RV and travel around making a documentary on roadside haunted house attractions. In their quest to find the scariest, most extreme place they start hearing stories of a legendary haunt that is in a different spot each year. As they try to find out where it's located this year they start to notice a weird kid in a creepy mask that turns up at multiple haunts as well as experiencing other strange stuff. Someone breaks in the RV while they are sleeping...Another found footage film but this one is justified in this approach - there's even what seems to be real footage from the 1980s or so of people being interviewed at haunted houses. The subject of sketchy people being employed at these places is touched on as well - no background checks or anything like that. Pretty predictable but a novel concept and some spooky moments for sure.
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X