Richard Stanley Adapting H.P. Lovecraft's Color Out of Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/38...orrific-abuse/
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• So Severin are 'taking steps regarding our relevant products in print'. Anyone care to tell them they still sell that Polanski flick, or mention the words 'Milligan' and 'sister' in the same sentence? Virtue signalling anyone?

I originally thought they put out Creeping Terror but that was Synapse so removed it.
      agent999
      Last edited by agent999; 03-18-2021, 02:12 PM.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• It's a bit weird when we suddenly have to act like we despise someone whom, only a couple of days ago, we admired and respected.

I don't have to pretend I hate Stanley now to feel better about myself; I never knew him personally before and I don't now. I like his films, plain and simple.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
          It's a bit weird when we suddenly have to act like we despise someone whom, only a couple of days ago, we admired and respected.
          Yeah, you're right, it is weird - in fact it's a fucking horrible feeling, and a process I seem to have had to go through again and again over the year with assorted musicians/artists/friends etc, I'm sick of it, but what else can you do? It's just part of life.

I'm sure if any of us found out that one of our personal friends was pulling some Jekyll & Hyde shit, violently abusing their partner etc, our opinion of them would change in exactly the same way. The fact it's a guy we've never met face-to-face doesn't make much tangible difference.

As to the films.... time will tell. Chronological distance tends to lend this stuff some perspective. I mean, I can't help but notice that Severin are putting out a Klaus Kinski movie next month (and I'm probably buying it), and Arrow were still selling 'The Burning' (co-written & produced by Harvey Weinstein) last time I looked.... endless shades of grey to wade through, and all down to personal judgement blah blah blah, but I can certainly understand taking a zero tolerance approach to known assholes who are still alive / still attempting to have careers, I suppose.
          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post
            or mention the words 'Milligan' and 'sister' in the same sentence?
            I'm not too familiar with Milligan, what is this about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
              I'm not too familiar with Milligan, what is this about?
              In The Ghastly One, McDonough says that a female relative (I think his sister, but it's many years since I read it) told him that Milligan used to molest her.

Comment

In The Ghastly One, McDonough says that a female relative (I think his sister, but it's many years since I read it) told him that Milligan used to molest her.
                Dug out my copy. Not named as his sister but it sounds like it. Seems like his parents were both abusing the children, so this is why McDonough thinks there's so much incest in his films.

Comment

So Severin are 'taking steps regarding our relevant products in print'. Anyone care to tell them they still sell that Polanski flick, or mention the words 'Milligan' and 'sister' in the same sentence? Virtue signalling anyone?

I originally thought they put out Creeping Terror but that was Synapse so removed it.
                  Severin clarified that they aren't pulling the films. They are "merely consulting with the affected parties to determine the handling of future proceeds."

Comment

• I can see a distinction between Stanley and Kinski as far as home video releases go. A Stanley release would likely have involved his active participation and financial involvement. Kinski won't be doing any of that unless Severin has a good medium.

Comment

• Worth quoting & remembering:
                      Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
                      it's a fucking horrible feeling, and a process I seem to have had to go through again and again over the year with assorted musicians/artists/friends etc, I'm sick of it, but what else can you do? It's just part of life.

I'm sure if any of us found out that one of our personal friends was pulling some Jekyll & Hyde shit, violently abusing their partner etc, our opinion of them would change in exactly the same way. The fact it's a guy we've never met face-to-face doesn't make much tangible difference.
                      It's almost like stages in the grieving process. Reevaluating someone you used to think of as a meaningful artist, inspiring adventurer, and a deeply empathetic man of his word.

Comment

• https://deadline.com/2021/10/richard...te-1234861192/

Comment

• I made the mistake of clicking on the comments of that article. Fuck the world's in a bad way. Now I'm going to be depressed the rest of the day.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                            I made the mistake of clicking on the comments of that article. Fuck the world's in a bad way. Now I'm going to be depressed the rest of the day.
                            Perfect! That was what I was hoping to accomplish.

Kidding, Dom.

Comment

• Stanley guested on the latest Monsters, Madness & Magic podcast.

https://www.monstersmadnessandmagic....ichard-stanley
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• So, having heard nothing about Stanley since the hoopla a year ago; it looks like that's....over? Were apologies made, or was there news, or????

Comment

Working...
                                X