Richard Stanley Adapting H.P. Lovecraft's Color Out of Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
    If I can just get past my aversion to Nic Cage...
    This isn't the movie to help with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clive Smith View Post
      This isn't the movie to help with that.
      I'm gathering this by the second

Already had to turn the subtitles on because of the incessant mumbling by Coppola-not-Coppola.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• This movie was about a half hour too long. Cage REALLY fucks this one up with his garbage acting. 52 minutes into it, and he was actually doing the VAMPIRE'S KISS accent again, complaining about the alpacas being out of the barn. The whole melding scene and the incessant noises was annoying; I'd say overall, I found it a chore to watch. It had it's good parts, but it didn't change my mind about Stanley being a mediocre filmmaker.

So, shit, I think I agree with Alex K. , so everyone take note.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
          This movie was about a half hour too long. Cage REALLY fucks this one up with his garbage acting. 52 minutes into it, and he was actually doing the VAMPIRE'S KISS accent again
          Yeah. That vocal shift really did not work for me. It didn't sound to me like his character was starting to go crazy, it sounded like Nicholas Cage abandoned his character + hit REBOOT with self-parody. Even in flat-out garbage like THE WICKER MAN, Cage's character has some kind of internal consistency thoughout the film.

I mean, I love his original performance in VAMPIRE'S KISS, but his COLOR performance felt like a half-assed medley of personas. Like an aging solo musician whose performance of his old band's greatest hits sound like bad cover songs.

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
          the second half of the picture doesn't fulfill the promise of the first - tonally or substantively. It would have been preferable for it to have all have been of one piece - either the fairly sober one of the first half, or the gonzo second. Half-Crazy Cage is a compromise.
          Couldn't put it better.
          Last edited by Curwen; 09-11-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

This movie was about a half hour too long. Cage REALLY fucks this o ne up with his garbage acting. 52 minutes into it, and he was actually doing the VAMPIRE'S KISS accent again, complaining about the alpacas being out of the barn. The whole melding scene and the incessant noises was annoying; I'd say overall, I found it a chore to watch. It had it's good parts, but it didn't change my mind about Stanley being a mediocre filmmaker.

So, shit, I think I agree with Alex K. , so everyone take note.
            Stanley, to my estimation, has always been a great visual composer who tends to leave actors to their own devices. I've always thought he should just be a cinematographer/visual concepts artist, and leave the directing to someone who can engage the actors better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
              Stanley, to my estimation, has always been a great visual composer who tends to leave actors to their own devices. I've always thought he should just be a cinematographer/visual concepts artist, and leave the directing to someone who can engage the actors better.
              Same with Tim Burton. Especially with Tim Burton.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeS View Post
                Same with Tim Burton. Especially with Tim Burton.
                I agree.

Comment

• Agreed all around.

Originally posted by Curwen
                  I mean, I love his original performance in VAMPIRE'S KISS,
                  I am an unabashed fan of VAMPIRE'S KISS. I can watch that wherever, whenever.

Comment

Agreed all around.

I am an unabashed fan of VAMPIRE'S KISS. I can watch that wherever, whenever.
                    Absolutely, but nobody can argue that it's a good movie by ANY measure, as fun as it is.

Comment

• Coming from Severin on Black Friday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Em-FLP-WMAAyCXD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	359072

Name:	Em-FNonXEAUcjfn.jpg
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	359073

Name:	Em-FNphXEAAThd7.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	359074
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• That's just dumb to release on cassette.

Comment

• It comes with a digital download, but yeah.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• i watched the black and white 2010 version yesterday. They used a purplish color to represent the color out of space. It was interesting, with a documentary feel.

Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

• File under: goddamnit and fuck shitty news. Scarlett Amaris has posted this to her blog, evidently exposing Stanley as an abuser. This bums me out on a number of levels.

https://sharedhallucination.blogspot...BILaKdDH8c&m=1

Comment

• Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                                File under: goddamnit and fuck shitty news. Scarlett Amaris has posted this to her blog, evidently exposing Stanley as an abuser. This bums me out on a number of levels.

https://sharedhallucination.blogspot...BILaKdDH8c&m=1
                                Jesus.
                                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Working...
                                X