No announcement yet.

Richard Stanley Adapting H.P. Lovecraft's Color Out of Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has this later trailer-y biut been shared here yet? https://vimeo.com/70666054
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Curwen View Post
      COLOR OUT OF SPACE Cast and Crew Q&A | TIFF 2019:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-5HlzkVrXo
      So awesome to see Stanley walking out on to the stage. I'm so glad he got another movie made.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Trailer!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

looks pretty cool!

Comment

January 24, 2020 in the States.
            LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post

January 24, 2020 in the States.
              Great poster!
              "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
              -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
              -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

Diabolik has pre-order pages up for Blu-ray and UHD versions coming 2/25/2020.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...k-uhd-blu-ray/

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...space-blu-ray/
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Good news, but not expecting HDR from RLJ. Sounds like this one needs to have it.
                  I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Review:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/c...ie-review-2020
                    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Saw this last night. I thought it was just ok. I still think "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is the best adaptation/homage to this story. I got a lot more mileage out of MANDY.

There's a was pre-recorded post-movie interview with Stanley and the cast. Stanley says this is the first part of a loose Lovecraft trilogy he wants to do. Says he's already working on a script for THE DUNWICH HORROR
                      Scott
                      Intellectual Carrot
                      Last edited by Scott; 01-23-2020, 01:07 PM.
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        Saw this last night. I thought it was just ok. I still think "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill" is the best adaptation/homage to this story. I got a lot more mileage out of MANDY.

There's a was pre-recorded post-movie interview with Stanley and the cast. Stanley says this is the first part of a loose Lovecraft trilogy he wants to do. Says he's already working on a script for THE DUNWICH HORROR
                        Pretty much this.

I really wanted to like it but I hated it. It was mid-way through that I realized that I thought Dust Devil was a "pretty good" movie. Not bad at all, but maybe a little over-hyped? Whereas Hardware was decent. Some good visuals but it plodded along.

All the elements were in place for something great. What happened?
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I dunno. It seemed like a regular movie and not the special happening that everyone was expecting or making it out to be.
                          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I'd say it was average. Maybe hype played against it? Sure. Okay. But I honestly don't think adapting this Lovecraft story shouldn't be too difficult.

I didn't like his Mother of Toads short either. Only thing I enjoyed was the casting of Catriona MacColl and the Eibon symbol.
                            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              I dunno. It seemed like a regular movie and not the special happening that everyone was expecting or making it out to be.
                              Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                              I'd say it was average. Maybe hype played against it?
                              It's one of those cases of "Aggregation Prestige." At the surface level, people go to RottenTomatoes and go "Wow, 84% positive!" But if you actually read the reviews, both positive and negative, the majority seem to rate this as a mixed bag around 2.5/4 or 3/5.

On the more general topic of niche films that get good responses at film festivals: I find myself tired of films being declared "instant cult classics." The whole point of cult followings is that they're not achieved "instantly"!
                              Last edited by Curwen; 01-26-2020, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand why people use RT instead of MetaCritic or something else. RT only counts how many reviews are "positive" vs. "negative." So, if every critic in the world rated a film 6 out of 10, it would be 100% on RT. Seems like fairly misleading and useless insight to me, at least compared to something like MC that actually calculates the specifics and would only give a film 100% if the film's true average score was 10 out of 10. In that case, unless you take a real existential PoV and always dismiss all critics' opinions entirely (in which case, you'd never have any reason to check scores on any sites), MC's would be much more informative about what quality film to exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X