X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon Lover (1977)

Last night I watched this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074389/

I think the only DVD release of this is from Substance, which means it is a tape sourced bootleg. The version I watched had a Midnight Video logo at the beginning, so it looks like Substance weren't the only guys to bootleg it. Regardless, this is a beautifully bizarre and wonderfully terrible but also completely awesome low budget regional horror film made by Donald G. Jackson. He would go on to make a lot of movies about girls on rollerblades and also Hell Comes To Frog Town.

The movie revolves around a black magic practitioner named Laval Blessing (played by a guy named Christmas Robbins). He's got really long, curly hair and a goatee and he kind of looks like James Hetfield if James Hetfield were chubby and wore only one leather glove. Laval is having a party at his place, which is a weird stone tower/castle thing out in the middle of the woods. A guy who looks like Frank Zappa is there and he's wearing a top hat and dancing and there's a hippie playing guitar in the corner. Everyone is chugging High Life and Budweiser.

A girl comes into the party and Laval tries to convince her she should get nude for the ceremony that he wants to perform. She's not into this idea and tells a guy named Damian (Val Mayerik, the comic artist) who stands up to Laval only to get punched in the face. The next day, that girl turns up dead. A cop named Detective Frazetta is called in to work the case. He questions a girl who works at a dinner and then shoots her in the ass with an elastic band. Damien eventually calls Frazetta and tells him to look into this Laval guy.

Meanwhile, Laval gets into an awesome bar fight and then later he does awesome karate. Frazetta goes to visit a black magic expert named Professor Peckinpah (Gunnar Hansen), so that's kind of cool. As this is going on, a demon that Laval has summoned is running around killing people for him. It all builds to a wacky-ass finale where a lot of people die and a rubber monster growls a lot.

This movie is pretty nuts. I bet it would look awesome if it were given a good transfer as it's pretty colorful but the versions going around don't look good at all and don't do it any favors. There's a weird vibe running through all of this and everyone has a last name related to comic creators - there are are Frazetta's but also a Wrightson, a Corben, A Kirby and Damien's last name is Kaluta.

The pacing is pretty quick and it's got some cool kill scenes.

There's a documentary that was made during the production called Demon Lover Diary that for some reason had Ted Nugent in it. I haven't watched that yet, but I'm gonna.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Also don't confuse this with the movie called Demon Lover that has Robert Z'dar in it and don't confuse it with My Demon Lover, starring Scott Valentine from Family Ties. That would be a mistake.

The movie is also known as The Devil Master and it's on youtube here:

I'd love to see someone give this a proper release. Vinegar Syndrome would be a good fit or even Crazy Bill could do this up right.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I hadn't heard of this movie until Toyboy told me about it. I regret not having learned of it sooner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3382939811_1f56b3be5a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	348701

Name:	3383756114_5ae9e52f5c.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	348702

Name:	Demon+Lover+Poster.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	348703
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

THE DEMON LOVER is PRIMO, & the Unicorn vhs could be found in many "mom & pop" video stores back in the 1980s. I have never seen it, but the documentary "Demon Lover Diary" is reportedly even better than the feature film. Both films would make a great double feature blu-ray if proper film elements could be located!

Comment

There's a very illuminating article on the history of the movie and the documentary worth reading here:

http://www.scottshaw.com/demonlover.html
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

MY DEMON LOVER was great. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
              MY DEMON LOVER was great. :D
              True, but in a very different way.

This movie has way more Zappa looking guys in top hats and Miller High Life in it.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                There's a very illuminating article on the history of the movie and the documentary worth reading here:

http://www.scottshaw.com/demonlover.html
                Thank you for posting that link. I knew Don Jackson for the last decade or so of his life. DEMON LOVER DIARY is a slanted and biased document, that, sadly, far too many take as gospel.

To show you the difference between those filmmakers and Jackson, Don actually showed up for the DGA Screening of Diary that is mentioned in the interview, the other guys, didn't. Further, Don held an impromptu Q&A in the lobby and gave out signed posters for DEMON LOVER. He was classy and didn't reply in a nasty way to what the audience had seen.

R.I.P. Don

Comment

Demon Lover Diary is easily one of my favorite documentaries. I'm not bothered if it's biased. As a fly on the wall look at 70's exploitation filmmaking it's invaluable. There's nothing else like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Body View Post
                    Demon Lover Diary is easily one of my favorite documentaries. I'm not bothered if it's biased. As a fly on the wall look at 70's exploitation filmmaking it's invaluable. There's nothing else like it.
                    According to Don Jackson it wasn't just biased, it was outright deceptive and fraudulent as well. NOT my defintion of a "favorite" documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
                      According to Don Jackson it wasn't just biased, it was outright deceptive and fraudulent as well. NOT my defintion of a "favorite" documentary.
                      It doesn't have to be one of your favorites.

Comment

I am gonna have to get the disc for the documentry too...I have seen a few of his movies...and yes, you can say he definitely made the movies more or less how he wanted to..his vision might not have been to everyones taste..but he did stay true to his vision...with or without the budget!!!

Comment

The bias displayed in DEMON LOVER DIARY* stems from the fact that it's a film made by the "victims" and while I don't believe that the intent of documenting the situation was malicious from the get go, the end result is arguably a hatchet job on some bad bosses. Now people go on Yelp! to bad-mouth former employers but apparently in the 70's you had to make a home movie.

What I took from it is that films are often helmed by type A personalities who rely on type B personalities to achieve their "vision" and in the case of THE DEMON LOVER you have two extremely strong-willed, albeit unskilled and slightly delusional individuals (Jackson and Younkins) relying on the talents of a terribly passive person (Kreines) and the alpha dogs will always attempt to dominate the meek, especially when one of the dogs is crazy enough to chop his own fingers off to make a movie. The fact that Kreines doesn't quite get the running joke of being told by Jackson that he's fired (he wasn't being paid so technically there's no real job to be fired from) is indicative of his emotional sensitivity. When we see him on the toilet in his motel room he's obviously full of self-doubt. He's not a complete milquetoast however since he does stand up for himself on occasion but his temper tantrums, warranted or not, reveal that he was not really cut out for that type of filmmaking.

Fair or not though DEMON LOVER DIARY is a must-see for lovers of garbage cinema as it answers a question often asked when viewing shitty movies: "How did these people not know they were making such a shitty movie?"

They did know...or at least some of them did.

I will echo the sentiment that a double feature BD of both films would be a treat and commentary from the main players still with us would be appreciated given the amount of time that's passed since the ordeal of getting THE DEMON LOVER made. I really want to know if shots were indeed fired and if those final scenes of Kreines and his partner being chased out of town were legit.

Bring it on, people who bring such things on!

*still can't shake the Mobius ALL-CAPS after all these years
                          Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

The BFI are showing Demon Lover Diary!

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/de...viecameraevent
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The latest Unsung Horrors episode covers this one, and Demon Lover Diaries too.

https://www.audible.com/pd/B09HTZZJK...VTY2RWV71B535Q
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X