X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellraiser - The Scarlet Box Coming To Blu-ray From Arrow

Synopsis:

IT WILL TEAR YOUR SOUL APART

Stephen King was once quoted as saying: “I have seen the future of horror… his name is Clive Barker.” That future became reality when, in 1987, Barker unleashed his directorial debut Hellraiser - launching a hit franchise and creating an instant horror icon in the formidable figure of Pinhead.

Barker's original Hellraiser, based on his novella The Hellbound Heart, follows Kirsty Cotton (Ashley Laurence) as she comes head-to-head with the Cenobites - demonic beings from another realm who are intent on reclaiming the soul of her deviant Uncle Frank.

Picking up immediately after the events of the original Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II finds Kirsty detained at a psychiatric institute and under the care of Phillip Channard, a doctor who abuses his position to realise his own dark aims. In Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth, a reporter investigating a mysterious death at a nightclub finds herself in the way of Pinhead and the Cenobites, who plan to bring their horrifying world into our own.

Coming at a time when the genre was degenerating into self-parody, Hellraiser offered a fiercely unique vision that approached its horrors with a far greater degree of seriousness than many of its contemporaries.. Along with its sequels, the Barker-produced Hellbound and Hell on Earth, Arrow Video is proud to present some of the most terrifyingly original films in the history of horror in brand new 2K transfers.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

Brand new 2K restorations of Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, and Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
    Hellraiser: Evolutions - a brand new documentary looking at the evolution of the hit horror franchise and its enduring legacy, featuring interviews with numerous cast and crew from the series' later instalments including Scott Derrickson (director, Hellraiser: Inferno), Rick Bota (director, Hellseeker, Deader and Hellworld), alongside genre figures Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton (writers Saw IV, Feast) and Stuart Gordon (director, Re-Animator, From Beyond)
    Audio commentaries for all 3 films
    Hours on archive material including cast/crew interviews, EPK material, storyboards, trailers, TV spots and more
    Clive Barker early short films Salome and The Forbidden
    Exclusive 200 page hardback book with new writing on Hellraiser and the Barker universe from Barker archivists Phil and Sarah Stokes. Contains chapters looking at Barker's early work, the genesis and production of the first 3 films in the Hellraiser series, as well as a consideration of the development of the character of Pinhead and a look at Pinhead's latest literary incarnation The Scarlet Gospels, all illustrated with a wealth of production stills and unseen material from the Barker archive
    Exclusive Limited Edition packaging with expansive new artwork from Gilles Vranckx
    Much more to be announced!

DETAILS:

RRP: £69.99 £49.99
    Region: B
    Rating: 18
    Cat No: FCD1171
    Duration: TBC
    Language: English
    Subtitles: English SDH
    Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
    Audio: TBC
    Discs: 3
    Colour

Click image for larger version

Name:	CJZut6NW8AAluo9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	365759
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Nice! I've been waiting for a good BD release of HELLBOUND.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

"Nucleus Films raise some hell with original Hellraiser Sean Chapman aka Frank on his first ever on-camera interview. "

Click image for larger version

Name:	11013596_1026001270755072_956149799928317884_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	348995
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The first two are great but the rest of the franchise ranges from mediocre to outright awful. The 'Hell on Earth' disc would make for a good beer coaster.
        In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Comment

Would have rather seen the money spent on a restored version of Hellraiser with the original voices intact and the MPAA trims pit back in.

Comment

I re-watched the original 'Hellraiser' last night and the dubbing with the voices of American actors is the only thing that has always bugged me about that film when the story is obviously set in England.
            In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Comment

Hellraiser 3's not bad if you disassociate it from the first two. It's kinda like Halloween 3. Sure, Pinhead's still in it, but it's a totally different tone and style.

But if Anthony Hickox had made this exact same movie and the bad guy was just named Mr. Nails, I think people would be fondly remembering that crazy 80s movie where demons come out of a statue and try turn everyone into kinky sex murderers from another dimension that's full of effects and ambitious set pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernski View Post
                Hellraiser 3's not bad if you disassociate it from the first two. It's kinda like Halloween 3. Sure, Pinhead's still in it, but it's a totally different tone and style.

But if Anthony Hickox had made this exact same movie and the bad guy was just named Mr. Nails, I think people would be fondly remembering that crazy 80s movie where demons come out of a statue and try turn everyone into kinky sex murderers from another dimension that's full of effects and ambitious set pieces.
                my thoughts as well. I still enjoy 3 but its more of a standard horror film than the first 2 not as imaginative but still fun.

Comment

Pretty much my view on ALL hardly-related-to-the-original sequels /reboots /remakes.....Just change the name of the movie and people would be far more forgiving / open minded.....

Comment

While I admit III makes for a passable guilty pleasure watch if I can do my best to ignore how inferior it is to the first two (Doug Bradley has some sublime moments as the Pinhead free from the rules of the box) I think 'Bloodline' while still not particularly good overall is the better sequel. It at least attempted to go back to the roots of the series while trying to do something imaginatively different at the same time with an ambitious scope. I think it might have got the franchise back on track if it weren't for the studio execs at Dimension meddling with the production. I think the mythology Clive Barker created deserved much better than having scripts for original horror movies rewritten to fit Pinhead in somewhere for the DTV sequels. Although, I agree they might have been more worthwhile if made as they were originally intended to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
                      It at least attempted to go back to the roots of the series while trying to do something imaginatively different at the same time with an ambitious scope. I think it might have got the franchise back on track if it weren't for the studio execs at Dimension meddling with the production.
                      Yeah, I'm with you on part 4. I spent a lot of time, once, making a restored edit of part 4, using the original script, workprint footage etc. It's still not the movie it should've been, because some big sequences from the script were never even shot, but it's definitely more compelling. If it had actually gotten finished the way it was meant to be? Well, some parts would still be hokey (those twin security guards!), but it would have been a better film, that's for sure.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you on part 4. I spent a lot of time, once, making a restored edit of part 4, using the original script, workprint footage etc.
                        Must have been hard work. It would be interesting to watch. I remember watching some of the workprint footage on Youtube a while back.

It's still not the movie it should've been, because some big sequences from the script were never even shot, but it's definitely more compelling. If it had actually gotten finished the way it was meant to be?
                        Yeah I know all about its miserable production history. It's depressing to think about what could have been.

Well, some parts would still be hokey (those twin security guards!), but it would have been a better film, that's for sure.
                        Not the best Cenobite I know but it was a better creation that any of the pathetic ones in III.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you on part 4. I spent a lot of time, once, making a restored edit of part 4, using the original script, workprint footage etc. It's still not the movie it should've been, because some big sequences from the script were never even shot, but it's definitely more compelling. If it had actually gotten finished the way it was meant to be? Well, some parts would still be hokey (those twin security guards!), but it would have been a better film, that's for sure.
                          So that was you who did that fan edit? I saw that and appreciate the work that went into that. A pity that some major effects shots were never completed. I think 4 is an interesting flick to talk about and on paper it looks interesting but as a horror flick and a sequel to Hellraiser it just falls apart. Classic too many cooks pissed in the soup situation.

I've come to really enjoy part 3. Big time guilty pleasure of mine.
                          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
                            Not the best Cenobite I know but it was a better creation that any of the pathetic ones in III.
                            As a twin cenobite they were kinda cool... But as comic relief(?) security guards before they got killed they were dreadful.

So that was you who did that fan edit? I saw that and appreciate the work that went into that.
                            That was a different guy who posted his online. I was following his progress, but his versions started getting a little weird for my tastes (animating scenes from the screenplay in Second Life, on the one hand shows you all the cool stuff that would've been in the film, but on the other hand it's clunky computer animation inserted the middle of a life action movie), so I made my own. I like mine better, but obviously I'm biased.

To be fair, I guess, to the producers and re-shooters, apparently the original director was failing to complete the film on budget/time, so even if they didn't take away control, we probably wouldn't have had an ideal version of the film as written anyway. But their additions were definitely worse.

Comment

As a twin cenobite they were kinda cool... But as comic relief(?) security guards before they got killed they were dreadful.
                              Yeah that was bad.

To be fair, I guess, to the producers and re-shooters, apparently the original director was failing to complete the film on budget/time, so even if they didn't take away control, we probably wouldn't have had an ideal version of the film as written anyway. But their additions were definitely worse.
                              The main issue the suits had was that Pinhead didn't show up until about half way through even though they green lighted the original script so they re-cut what was filmed and demanded rewrites so the character would be seen sooner. It just made the narrative incoherent though and the sci-fi third act now served as a bookend. Original director Kevin Yagher's originally intended version had more plot, characterization and explained the events clearly and there was more graphic imagery but yeah most of those scenes were left un-filmed. The first act which is still the strongest part of the film even in the released version and not featuring Pinhead at all featured aristocratic cenobites, demon clowns and a hellish fancy dress party sequence. It was all sacrificed to make way for a quicker entrance for Dimension's franchise poster boy. They didn't learn from the mistakes made with trying to turn Pinhead into Freddy Krueger in 3 and that the antagonist is at his strongest as a bit part supporting player like in 1 & 2 in which the real villains are Frank, Julia and Channard.

Comment

Working...
                              X